ADVERTISEMENT

Better Late Than Never UPDATED WITH 2nd HALF and TX-OU Tailgate: Key observations from the TCU game "Coach" re-watch

donjuanovan

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2002
As Sark said in the post game press conference, better to win ugly than lose pretty. That really sums up this key W vs our most recent consistent nemesis in TCU and their sweaty HC Gary Patterson. Very glad to get the win, and will take 32-27 even though I predicted we would win 27-20. Regardless, I hope the multiple player regressions we saw in this game are just growing pains/bad day and not indicators on ongoing issues. Let's look at key plays/issues:

1st Qtr
TCU first TD: OMG. First, horrible effort by #47 LB Brockemeyer. No way you can miss that tackle. BUT, it was equally galling that there were FOUR obvious holding penalties on that one play vs TCU offense: 1) #99 DT Coburn was blowing the TCU guard trying to block him off the line back into the backfield and the TCU guard just grabs Coburns jersey and pulls Coburn back with him as the TCU guard is falling backwards; 2) #0 LB Overshown is held by TCU WR just enough to keep O from getting over to make the play; 3) DB #4 Dunn is initially fairly blocked but then the WR clearly holds and pulls Dunn back EXACTLY where there RB runs through for the score; 4) S #28Thompson is also initially blocked clean but then the WR clearly holds an pulls him past the spot where 28 would have naturally filled the lane the TCU back took into the end zone. Pathetic job by refs, but I fear this is something we will just have to sadly get used to for the rest of this year.

I made a completely separate post on the injury to Okafor. Very sad. What is really concerning is just in the first Qtr #70 OL Jones makes two of the worst plays I have seen from a UT OL in some time. After the bonehead motion penalty by TE #18 Wiley pushed us back from a 3rd and 1 at the TCU 6 yard line to a 3rd and 6 from the 11 (thanks Wiley, maybe try to be on the field on time next time and maybe you will be less prone to make such bonehead mistakes). #70 literally is staring off into space as the TCU DE who lined up right over him just runs past him to sack our QB and force us to settle for a field goal. Later in the quarter #70 replicates the same move, this time allowing the DE lined up directly over him to rush upfield uncontested and trip up RB #5 Bijan for a rare tackle for loss. These two plays raise really serious concerns about what will OU be able to do to embarrass #70 and destroy our QB/RB next week.

Fortunately we recovered to make a first down following the latter pathetic example of blocking by #70 just noted above, but only after overcoming another HORRID ref call, where they spotted #6 WR Moore a full yard short when he was clearly thrown forward across the first down marker line as he was tackled. I do not understand how/why such horrific spots cannot be challenged by our staff, but I guess I am thinking NFL there?

#80 TE Brewer continued to struggle with missed pull blocks. Incredibly frustrating to watch this problem linger with no apparent ability to improve. He seems to actually hit his target less than 1/2 the time, maybe closer to 1/3. Not acceptable. Unfortunately, TE #18 Wiley is showing he is no real improvement on pulls, and was actually the guilty party in the season/career ending injury to Okafor due to his whiffed block. Geez, we need help there. I will say they are both better at straight on blocking, and I saw a really good one by #18 Wiley later in the first half. On another thread, it was suggested that maybe we should be using Roschon Johnson RB #2 to be the pulling HB blocker instead of either of these TE's since Johnson seems much more nimble and can hit a target vs whiffing.

Why is #43 DE Bush playing in the 1st Qtr rather than #88 Sorrells?

#99 DL Coburn was making good push or getting double teamed, and #93 DL Sweat was really playing hard.

2nd Qtr

#11 QB Thompson not looking like usual pocket aware/comfortable self as he keeps drifting back and left instead of stepping up into the pocket on this play, and eventually throws the ball as he is kind of falling away even though he has no actual pressure on him, and this pass to #8WR Xavier kind of lingers in the air and he mistimes his jump and drops the pass as a result. UGLY all the way around. Reality is if QB steps up into the pocket and steps into that throw he likely hits WR in stride for huge gain if not maybe even a TD. We have to punt instead.

Great speed and pressure by #7 RB Robison as the cover guy on the punt causes the TCU returner to divert his eyes to this incoming human missile instead of the ball he is about to try to catch and boom - fumble - and great recovery by LB #8 Overshown. First and goal.

WR #8 Worthy drops another pass. Then on 3rd down, QB #11 makes a REALLLY bad play. He rushes the throw even though he has no one near him on the rush. That rushed throw was almost picked off in the end zone by the TCU LB our QB clearly did not see, but our QB could have had an uncontested TD to the left corner of end zone to wide open WR #6 Moore, or with another .5 seconds he would have had #5 RB Bijan wide open at the goal line right in front of him for an easy TD. Not a good day for Thompson's eyes and pocket presence.

REFS horrible again: 1) throw holding flag on TCU but then just pick it up - no explanation! Our DL #93 Sweat was held; 2) Two plays later, clear holding by TCU against our DL #99 right in front of ref - no call; 3) then the worst - on 4th and 1 for TCU the QB keeps and #0 LB Overshown is moving right up to fill the hole perfectly and WHAM taken out completely by ILLEGAL CRACKBACK BLOCK that is so obvious I called it live while watching the game on TV!! Refs totally ignore it. Would have ended TCU drive and UT gets ball back on 26 yard line. Instead, TCU eventually gets FG off the dive to make the score 23-17. YET, IT GETS EVEN WORSE!! On TCU next drive, on 3rd down we snuff out their short throw and down their WR at the TCU 19 but a HORRIBLE late hit call is made against #0 LB Overshown. UTTER BS!!!! FINALLHY, n our next drive the interception throw by our QB#11 Thompson is primarily because our WR #8 Worthy is held to the point his jersey is stretching out for all to see. NO CALL!! So bad.

DL#99 Coburn again had some nice plays in the 2nd Qtr, especially when he reads and cancels a TCU screen pass attempt that leads to close out of last possession of the half.

Really liked DB #11 Cook's first half on D, and of course RB #5 Bijan on O.

Second half tomorrow. Night.

2nd Half:
Do not want to beat a dead horse and describe each play, but we have a REAL problem with #70 OL Jones at Left Tackle. He is going to get QB #11 Thompson killed vs OU if Sark and company do not either replace him or come up with specific help package for him on certain pass plays. Was getting beat like a drum again in 2nd half vs TCU, not every play, but enough key ones to raise major concerns.

I am concerned with why our coaches would continue to play a clearly injured and thus somewhat one-armed LB #47 Brockermeyer rather than get fully healthy backups into the game earlier. That questioning is really reinforced by the too frequent misreads by #47 and his resulting lack of speed/agility to make up for the misstep, which results in big plays for the opposition. Love #47's guts and will, and he certainly does make some good plays, but honestly think we might be better served by the healthy athleticism of his replacements.

If turf monster does not trip up RB #7 Kelian on that swing pass, he probably scores long TD on that play. Was set up perfectly. Fortunately, we do end up scoring on the drive and eat up a lot of clock in the process, which benefited us in the long run.

Speaking of the that score, going for 2 was the right call, as it would have ended the game. However, QB #11 Thompson made an AWFUL decision to force the attempted corner end zone lob to #8 WR Worthy when he had RB # 5 Bijan flanked out left with 3 blockers in place and TCU only put 3 defenders out there!!! Bijan scores FOR SURE if Thompson just whips the pass out to Bijan. UGH!!!

Again, I have said this before, but it is such a consistent problem: our TE's cannot block consistently, ESPECIALLY if they are in motion or pulling. Their inability to identify the right target and then hit that target is mystifying, and is probably the #1 cause when we have a run play fail. When they do actually do what they are coached to do, it makes all the difference in the world and leads to big plays - #80 Brewer actually had a few nice blocks on the drive down the field to what SHOULD have been a game ending TD to put us up by 3 scores. However, then Brewer reverted to form and actually prevented the end around by WR #8 Worthy from being a TD because Brewer is so lost in space as the lead pull blocker that he actually gets in RB #2 Roschon Johnson's way so #2 cannot get out to be the final lead blocker to free Worthy for 6 pits. As it is Worthy still gets down to the two, so clearly if #80 does his job it is a TD and game is over. Then on the 3rd down play from the 2, Brewer again fails to cleanly hit his guy (TCU DL #95) who slides off Brewer to make the TD saving tackle of Bijan, who was being held at his ankles, but was about to lean out to score before 95 pushed him back because Brewer let him free. Also do have to credit TCU #95 for making great read/reaction hustle plays on both the 3rd and 4th down stops.

Absolutely HATE when the coaches went to the 3 down lineman "prevent D" after they stopped us at the 1. This defensive alignment was only good for "preventing" us from stopping TCU from marching 99 yards for the score. Coack K needs to trash that strategy and never bring it out again this season.

Speaking of that drive, also bad coaching to not call a defensive Time Out to give his players a chance to catch their breadth, regroup and bare down to keep TCU out of the end zone.

Us getting the ball with 4:23 on the clock leading 32-27 and being able to run out the clock with all running plays to get the W was a thing of beauty, granted in large part to Bijan, but there was some quality OL blocking as well. Actually, on the KEY 3rd and 6 play, TE #80 Brewer actually got just enough of his target on his puling and blocking in space assignment to make that TCU player's attempted tackle of RB #5 Bijan off-balance and weak, so that was a real positive for Brewer on the night. Also, #75 OL Angilau actually made the key late push of the Bijan pile at the end of that run to get him fully passed the first down marker, so huge kudos to Angilau for that hustle and smarts effort!

Now on to OU
I am worried about #70 and our TE's not holding up in the blocking scheme. I am worried about us not getting enough DL pressure on the OU QB and him picking us apart. I am worried by bad reads by our LB's leaving gaps for the OU RB's to gash us or the OU QB to scamper through.

I am excited by the belief that we cannot keep going 0 for 4 or 1 for 6 on deep balls every game, and the rhythm and fortune will finally raise its head in our favor in this game and we will see 2 or 3 successful deep balls that produce 7 points each.

I am excited about our stable of backs, so even if OU goes all out to stop RB # 5 Bijan, others will step up with big games.

I also am excited that Sark will game plan knowing that OU will go all out to stop Bijan, and so our QB #11 Thompson will have a big day throwing to WR's #8, #4 and #6 and TE #18, and himself running for some game changing chunks of yardage.

PREDICTION: UT 34 - ou 30
P.S. If you are going to the game, please come to the Dallas Texas Exes Tailgate Party on the Fair Ground inside gate 5 - CHEAPEST BEER at the Fair for sure!!. Hope to see you there! Here is the link: https://dallastexasexes.org/tailgate/

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News