ADVERTISEMENT

Brown to BU

Agreed. Leach is too brash.

Baylor needs a LOW key guy that everybody loves. The problem is if everybody loves you as a coach, you're probably not whooping anybody on the field.

Paging Gary Barnett?

How is a lame-duck head coach going to recruit worth a sh*t? A one-year hire is not workable.

Besides, Mack hasn't coached in seven years. Just don't see him being interested in giving up his easy life for the stress of coaching again after all this time.
They are likely to be going lame duck regardless. Promoting Phil Bennett (a terrible HC) as an interim for 1 year is lame duck. IMO, Brown would be a much better choice to fill that role.

Agree. They aren't getting their long term coach now regardless. A big name with a clean image is the best they can hope for in a stop gap. The fallout on this will drag on beyond this season. If they could land Mack or convince Singletary I think that's their best options. Legitimate college football coaches aren't even taking their call right now.

Reactions: Jon the Valiant
Seeing that 2017 commits to Baylor are starting to or have jumped ship already, what happens to the recently signed class of 2016? That has to be a tough situation to be in -- thinking you're playing for Briles and potentially championships to whatever happens next.

Seeing that 2017 commits to Baylor are starting to or have jumped ship already, what happens to the recently signed class of 2016? That has to be a tough situation to be in -- thinking you're playing for Briles and potentially championships to whatever happens next.

There will be a lot of pressure on BU to allow the 2016 signees a full release in much the same way as the Penn St. scandal a few years back. It's the honorable thing to do given the circumstances. The players do sign the LOI to the school, not the coach, but in this case exceptions should be made.

Baylor needs a LOW key guy that everybody loves. The problem is if everybody loves you as a coach, you're probably not whooping anybody on the field.

Paging Gary Barnett?

You're being sarcastic, right? Remember Barnett and the girl kicker at Colorado and other sex/drug allegations?

Paging Gary Barnett?

Wow, yeah, no. Let's take a little trip back in time, courtesy of wikipedia:

However, his reputation was tarnished by a recruiting scandal, insensitive off-field remarks and failure to maintain the on-field success of his predecessors. Barnett was alleged to have enticed recruits to come to Colorado with sex and alcohol during recruiting visits, causing the school to self-impose stricter recruiting rules than any other Division I-A school. That scandal, coupled with Barnett's dismissive comments about former placekicker Katie Hnida, who alleged that she had been raped by a teammate, led to Barnett's temporary suspension in 2004 during the off-season. Barnett was reinstated before the start of the 2004 season, and went on to coach the team to an 8–5 record, earning Big 12 Coach of the Year honors along the way.
Nope nope nope. Definitely not what Baylor should be looking for right now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Barnett

... but to your point, I wonder if they could talk Tyrone Willingham out of retirement? He may never get back to the success he had at Stanford and his first season at Notre Dame, but I think most people believe in him as someone who runs a clean program and will say and do the right things.

... but to your point, I wonder if they could talk Tyrone Willingham out of retirement? He may never get back to the success he had at Stanford and his first season at Notre Dame, but I think most people believe in him as someone who runs a clean program and will say and do the right things.

Ty is a horrible idea. He was fired at ND & people cried racism, then Washington fired him for the exact same reason.

He is lazy & doesn't recruit or improve talent.

He had success at Stanford with other's players, jumped ship, had one season of success with others' players then fell apart. Went to Washington & had no talent there to start with & went 0-12.

While at ND two stories stick with me about Ty. The first was when the AD actually had to go get him at the golf courses & tell him recruits were waiting on him at the stadium & if he didn't do his job he was fired. The second was when Brady Quinn told the story about how he reapeyedly asked Ty to help him learn the west coast offense Ty was trying to run & Ty never once stayed after practice to work with him.

Turns out Washington had the EXACT same two problems with him.

Ty is a horrible idea. He was fired at ND & people cried racism, then Washington fired him for the exact same reason.

He is lazy & doesn't recruit or improve talent.

He had success at Stanford with other's players, jumped ship, had one season of success with others' players then fell apart. Went to Washington & had no talent there to start with & went 0-12.

While at ND two stories stick with me about Ty. The first was when the AD actually had to go get him at the golf courses & tell him recruits were waiting on him at the stadium & if he didn't do his job he was fired. The second was when Brady Quinn told the story about how he reapeyedly asked Ty to help him learn the west coast offense Ty was trying to run & Ty never once stayed after practice to work with him.

Turns out Washington had the EXACT same two problems with him.

You missed the whole point of my post. Clob and I were both saying that someone like Leech would be too brash to deal with the delicate situation that Baylor will be in next. I suggested that the replacement needed to be someone who either was the good-PR guy (like Mack Brown) or the guy who isn't afraid to come in and clean house (the way that Coach Strong did at UT). Clob suggested that it needed to be someone likable who also probably won't be whooping anyone on the field and suggested Gary Barnett (who has the wrong kind of history, scandal-wise, for that to work). So I just was naming someone else who is well respected in the coaching community (which he seems to be seeing as how he got the jobs he did even after he wasn't doing so well with w/l's, and then after he was done he was chosen to be president of the American Football Coaches Association, followed by being chosen to be on the College Football Playoff Selection Committee), who seems to be liked by the players generally, and who doesn't really win a lot of games (who also has been brought in to try to clean up a program before, and who doesn't have a history of student-athlete scandals under his belt).

I never said he was who Baylor should hire. I was just naming someone who fit what Clob was talking about.

Last edited:
You missed the whole point of my post. Clob and I were both saying that someone like Leech would be too brash to deal with the delicate situation that Baylor will be in next. I suggested that the replacement needed to be someone who either was the good-PR guy (like Mack Brown) or the guy who isn't afraid to come in and clean house (the way that Coach Strong did at UT). Clob suggested that it needed to be someone likable who also probably won't be whooping anyone on the field and suggested Gary Barnett (who has the wrong kind of history, scandal-wise, for that to work). So I just was naming someone else who is well respected in the coaching community (which he seems to be seeing as how he got the jobs he did even after he wasn't doing so well with w/l's, and then after he was done he was chosen to be president of the American Football Coaches Association, followed by being chosen to be on the College Football Playoff Selection Committee), who seems to be liked by the players generally, and who doesn't really win a lot of games (who also has been brought in to try to clean up a program before, and who doesn't have a history of student-athlete scandals under his belt).

I never said he was who Baylor should hire. I was just naming someone who fit what Clob was talking about.

Well, I guess Ty's their man then.

Well, I guess Ty's their man then.

Haha, I wouldn't say that. I would say, though, that it's easier to figure out who wouldn't work than who would. Leech and his odd duck personality and handling of the press? Probably not. Barnett and his sex-as-a-recruiting-tool and offsetting, dismissive remarks about a possible rape at Colorado? Probably not.

Haha, I wouldn't say that. I would say, though, that it's easier to figure out who wouldn't work than who would. Leech and his odd duck personality and handling of the press? Probably not. Barnett and his sex-as-a-recruiting-tool and offsetting, dismissive remarks about a possible rape at Colorado? Probably not.

There are a few young coaches from the smaller conferences who they should go after. Like Temple, Memphis, so on...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT