ADVERTISEMENT

CATCH THE BALL

TX1972

Oct 31, 2012
Has anyone else noted that all the guys playing seem to catch most of the balls that come their way? Did Norvell do that?

I think the guys that were dropping passes are on the bench. Daje has improved, and Foreman always had pretty good hands. Now Burt, he doesn't need help. He has the natural gift of grab.

I actually think Swoops had no idea how to put touch on the ball and would throw a very hard pass, and thus lots of drops. Heard on the other hand throws a very catch-able ball and that makes it easier for our receivers to pull it in.

I actually think Swoops had no idea how to put touch on the ball and would throw a very hard pass, and thus lots of drops. Heard on the other hand throws a very catch-able ball and that makes it easier for our receivers to pull it in.

Nah, that's no excuse. If the receiver is 5 yards away yeah, a bullet is too much. Other than that, you get your hands on the ball, you catch it, period. Good luck to the WR that drops a pass, then has the nerve to tell the coach "but he threw it too hard." Lol. My high school coach would've dragged my sorry ass to the bench by the facemask. Fortunately, on the rare occasion I did drop one, I knew better than to even think about an excuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldhorn2
I usually agree with you Son.....but not on this......you can throw it too hard up close but like my coach always said, "if it hits you in the hands catch it"......and "I bet you never dropped a hamburger!"....lol

I usually agree with you Son.....but not on this......you can throw it too hard up close but like my coach always said, "if it hits you in the hands catch it"......and "I bet you never dropped a hamburger!"....lol

Hey speaking of Pecos I bet you didn't know there was a guy that played from Pecos on the 05 natty team and was a back up qb. We grew up together and played sports together and would of graduated together if I would of stayed in Pecos.

I saw the same thing back when it was Chris Simms vs Major Applewhite. Major had a noodle arm compared to Simms but Major threw a pass that was a lot easier for receivers to catch. Simms had a rocket arm but had no idea (until his senior year) how to put touch on the ball. Thus when Simms was in the ball game there were almost always more dropped passes that hit guys in the numbers.

I would never expect a receiver to use this as an excuse, but the truth is that is a fact. Especially at this level, these guys aren't pros and outside of Burt I don't expect any of them to make it in the NFL. That is no excuse when I see Daje drop two easy passes that Heard puts on the money, there is no excuse for that.

Hey speaking of Pecos I bet you didn't know there was a guy that played from Pecos on the 05 natty team and was a back up qb. We grew up together and played sports together and would of graduated together if I would of stayed in Pecos.
I didn't know that Robo......what was his name? at one time we had a nice team in Pecos......

Being a coach, there definitely is something to be said for "putting touch on the ball" if you throw a slant route as hard as your throw a deep out/comeback/go your drop % will be a lot higher. Should receivers catch the ball every time it hits them in the hands? Absolutely! But good QBs know how to take some off on short-intermediate routes

Reactions: LonghornMM
Being a coach, there definitely is something to be said for "putting touch on the ball" if you throw a slant route as hard as your throw a deep out/comeback/go your drop % will be a lot higher. Should receivers catch the ball every time it hits them in the hands? Absolutely! But good QBs know how to take some off on short-intermediate routes

Amen. Some QB's tend to put too much mustard on the ball on short routes. Touch is a good things at times. It gives your receiver a better chance to catch the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT