ADVERTISEMENT

Celebrity deaths

hookem777

Dec 13, 2011
What celebrity deaths have actually made you stop and mourn? My biggest was Chester Bennington From Linkin Park. Grew up listening to their music and was in a few bands myself. That one really f'ed me up the day it happened

Recently Windham Rotunda "Bray Wyatt". Met the dude about 15 times my entire life, bought him a beer and he bought me a beer and had a 30 min convo about college football and his Troy days. Dude was 2 years older than me and died of a heart attack yesterday. Great person, loved is craft and brain and as a life long wrestling fan he will be missed.

Anyone else ever have a celebrity death effect them?

Hook'em

Last edited:
I guess I've never been a big fan of celebrities. Maybe it was because when I was younger and revered a few of them.... then was fortunate enough to meet a couple of them as an adult and realized what asshats they were in real life.
Willie has always been nice to me. My better half was friends with Merle ever since she was a little kid. When he died we went to the funeral and it hit her hard--- but I'd only met the dude a couple of times.
I think when Earl goes I'll miss him.

Good question though.

Reactions: hookem777
I guess I've never been a big fan of celebrities. Maybe it was because when I was younger and revered a few of them.... then was fortunate enough to meet a couple of them as an adult and realized what asshats they were in real life.
Willie has always been nice to me. My better half was friends with Merle ever since she was a little kid. When he died we went to the funeral and it hit her hard--- but I'd only met the dude a couple of times.
I think when Earl goes I'll miss him.

Good question though.
i have felt the same about MOST celebrties...asshats..spoiled ...ect.

This man was not that. after only 30 minutes of conversation and years of watching his craft. sucks

and thanks Clobb, happy football season

ps..ever smoke with willie???
how many times have you met Earl? share some stories!

I'm pretty similar to Clob as far as not investing much reverence into celebs but 2 were rough.
I met Robin Williams at a USO show in Quatar. He was known for being sopping wet during his performances and Quatar isn't exactly cool but he put on a helluva show regardless. In person, he genuinely respected and showed admiration for every single one of us. You'd never guess he was hiding such dark depression.

The other was Merl. Not copying you @clob94 . Merl was my dad's favorite country star and I had bought tickets to his last tour with Willie. My dad had never seen him live and they were coming to Bluebonnet if I remember correctly. Needless to say, pops never got to see him. That one still bothers me.

Speaking of Willy and Merle, one of my close friend’s stepdad played guitar for both of them and a whole bunch of other guys in the 60s and 70s. Guys used to stop by his house pretty regular when they came thru the area. The most entertaining of the whole group was David Alan Cow. That cat was a lunatic.
The only celebrity I’ve ever met that had much of an impact when they passed was Chris LeDoux. I met him when I was around 8 and crossed paths with him several times over the years. He always seemed surprised when people wanted to meet him. It always seemed to me that he was someone who was living out his dream and appreciated the fact that other people were responsible for that.

Queen Elizabeth. Ok I kid.

Mine has to be Stevie Ray Vaughan. Loved listening to him. I had just seen him in SA at a Fiesta festival and less than a month later I was driving into work when it was announced he died in that crash.

Robin Williams
Phil Hartman
Chris Cornell

I grew up idolizing Kobe Bryant. His death hit me hard, also given how he died and who he died with.
Damn, can’t believe I forgot Kobe. Never was really a fan, but was just beginning to appreciate what an all around great person he was. I had actually been following his progress with his daughter’s basketball team. Yeah this one hurt for sure.

Reactions: freeper
Chris Farley, Chester Bennington, Brittany Murphy, and Robin Williams for me. Getting older makes it harder when the younger ones pass. Mortality sets in a little more as the years go by. Even flying now, I used to get on and off that b!tch like it was nothing. Now, any rough turbulence scares the piss out of me.

Chris Farley, Chester Bennington, Brittany Murphy, and Robin Williams for me. Getting older makes it harder when the younger ones pass. Mortality sets in a little more as the years go by. Even flying now, I used to get on and off that b!tch like it was nothing. Now, any rough turbulence scares the piss out of me.
Flying makes you nervous these days?

Pro tip- the only crash landings that hurt are the ones you survive.

Reactions: JasperNewton7
Flying makes you nervous these days?

Pro tip- the only crash landings that hurt are the ones you survive.
Sure as fvck does. Took a flight to Denver a couple weeks ago. Turbulence so bad this mom freaked out behind me and was holding on to her teenage son. I used to think that sh!t was fun.

i have felt the same about MOST celebrties...asshats..spoiled ...ect.

This man was not that. after only 30 minutes of conversation and years of watching his craft. sucks

and thanks Clobb, happy football season

ps..ever smoke with willie???
how many times have you met Earl? share some stories!
I have 1 great Willie story. Just 1.

Years ago, Willie used to own a goat trap golf course out in Perdinales in the mid 90s. 9 hole goat trap-- in every sense of the word. Goat. Trap.
There was a pro shop/recording booth there at the front. They sold beer, golf balls, and Willie Nelson albums. The guy in the shop that day (I'd go on to meet him dozens of more times years later) was a guy who called himself Poodie.
Paid for my buddy and I, a cart and a loop (I think it was 5 bucks for the cart and 5 bucks each for 9 holes) and then bought a 12 pack of Bud. I asked Poodie "hey, Willie wouldn't happen to be around would he?"
Poodle says "No, he's off somewhere like California filming a commercial or something."

So we go play our 9 and decide we want to play some more and we are also out of beer. I hop out of the cart and walk around to the front of the "pro shop" and sitting there in a wooden rocking chair is Willie.
I'm 19..... jaw on the ground.... and I say "uhhhhhh..... wait a minute, I was told you were in California shooting a commercial..."

Real cool like- Willie looks up at me and says "I am in California. This is a figment of your imagination."

Only great Willie story I have.

Last edited:
I have 1 great Willie story. Just 1.

Years ago, Willie used to own a goat trap golf course out in Perdinales in the mid 90s. 9 hole goat trap-- in every sense of the word. Goat. Trap.
There was a pro shop/recording booth there at the front. They sold beer, golf balls, and Willie Nelson albums. The guy in the shop that day (I'd go on to meet him dozens of more times years later) was a guy who called himself Poodie.
Paid for my buddy and I a cart and a loop (I think it was 5 bucks for the cart and 5 bucks each for 9 holes) and then bought a 12 pack of Bud. I asked Poodie "hey, Willie wouldn't happen to be around would he?"
Poodle says "No, he's off somewhere like California filming a commercial or something."

So we go play our 9 and decide we want to play some more and we are also out of beer. I hop out of the cart and walk around to the front of the "pro shop" and sitting there in a wooden rocking chair is Willie.
I'm 19..... jaw on the ground.... and I say "uhhhhhh..... wait a minute, I was told you were in California shooting a commercial..."

Real cool like- Willie looks up at me and says "I am in California. This is a figment of your imagination."

Only great Willie story I have.
Haha that's bad ass. Thanks for that!

What celebrity deaths have actually made you stop and mourn? My biggest was Chester Bennington From Linkin Park. Grew up listening to their music and was in a few bands myself. That one really f'ed me up the day it happened

Recently Windham Rotunda "Bray Wyatt". Met the dude about 15 times my entire life, bought him a beer and he bought me a beer and had a 30 min convo about college football and his Troy days. Dude was 2 years older than me and died of a heart attack yesterday. Great person, loved is craft and brain and as a life long wrestling fan he will be missed.

Anyone else ever have a celebrity death effect them?

Hook'em
Windham's hit me hard too man. I met him a couple times.
Once was at the gym I worked out in. I walked up to him and said "I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the cool stuff you do" and went to walk away. He stopped me and talked for awhile while we worked out. Cool cat.
They had been saying he would return any day so him passing just hit me.
He had just started his Fiend persona and he talked about how he came up with it and how he had so many things he wanted to do if they'd let him.

Windham's hit me hard too man. I met him a couple times.
Once was at the gym I worked out in. I walked up to him and said "I just wanted to say hi and thanks for all the cool stuff you do" and went to walk away. He stopped me and talked for awhile while we worked out. Cool cat.
They had been saying he would return any day so him passing just hit me.
He had just started his Fiend persona and he talked about how he came up with it and how he had so many things he wanted to do if they'd let him.
He was slated to make a return September so any day now. Freaking sucks. Dude was genuinely one of the nicest ppl ever. And again only 36. I feel horrible for his kids. I held mine a little tighter that night.

Thanks for sharing brother.

He was slated to make a return September so any day now. Freaking sucks. Dude was genuinely one of the nicest ppl ever. And again only 36. I feel horrible for his kids. I held mine a little tighter that night.

Thanks for sharing brother.
That's what I heard too. Was looking forward to what he was gonna do. They even hired a writer to work with him.
Thanks for sharing your story!

Speaking of Willy and Merle, one of my close friend’s stepdad played guitar for both of them and a whole bunch of other guys in the 60s and 70s. Guys used to stop by his house pretty regular when they came thru the area. The most entertaining of the whole group was David Alan Cow. That cat was a lunatic.
The only celebrity I’ve ever met that had much of an impact when they passed was Chris LeDoux. I met him when I was around 8 and crossed paths with him several times over the years. He always seemed surprised when people wanted to meet him. It always seemed to me that he was someone who was living out his dream and appreciated the fact that other people were responsible for that.
Are you able to tell who your friends stepdad was? Electric guitar or acoustic guitar? Thanks as far as road electricguitar players for Merle: Roy Nichols , Clint Strong, Joe Manuel, Redd Volkhart, Ben Haggard Ronnie Reno played acoustic that’s all I’m familiar with for road band

Last edited:
Come monday, the son of a son of a sailor is having a cheeseburger in paradise. Rip Jimmy.

That freaking sucks.....love Jimmy Buffett. Nothing said vacation to me quite like a beach, an adult beverage, a good book and some Jimmy Buffett tunes....RIP Jimmy, I guess you're not making that Labor Day Weekend show, may your final Changes in Latitude be pleasant and land you in the great Margaritaville in the sky.....

Last edited:
That freaking sucks.....love Jimmy Buffett. Nothing said vacation to me quite like a beach, an adult beverage, a good book and some Jimmy Buffett tunes....RIP Jimmy, I guess you're not making that Labor Day Weekend show, may your final Changes in Latitude be pleasant and land you in the great Margaritaville in the sky.....
Imagine being a beach bum your entire adult life...... sitting around in the sun, drinking cocktails and writing songs with silly and flippant lyrics--- and becoming a BILLIONAIRE because of it.
Dude was living the dream.
Sister Sparechange has a bumper sticker on her door, it says Jimmy Buffett doesn't live in Key West anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT