ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck Strong?

SchmidtyNole

Feb 19, 2007
I've posted twice on this site and I've been accused of trolling because I said I think Strong deserves 4 or 5 years. Most of you disagree, so this is just a question.

1) What has gone wrong in Strong's tenure? Not what the results are (that's obvious) but why have things gone wrong? Is Strong totally in over his head or are there other factors that have caused the team to underachieve in his tenure? My opinion is Strong doesn't have as much talent as the recruiting rankings would suggest. Some of that has been his fault but some of it is what he inherited from Mack Brown. A&M has gotten more talent than Texas has ever since A&M left for the SEC. I'm not sure that is a quick fix even if you get rid of Strong.

2) One thing that I saw in Strong's post game interview that kind of struck me as odd that might have changed my opinion is he seemed a little non-chalant about the loss yesterday. He really needed to be saying "This loss is on me, it's unacceptable and we're going to do everything we can to get it fixed." Instead he sort of tried to spin it in a way that made it less magnifying and less indicative of problems in the program. You can't fix something while you're trying to spin how big the problems are. That isn't the Strong I remember at Louisville who was very demanding of his players. So the question I have is "Is the pressure of being the coach at Texas not something he had the ability to handle?"

Like I said, it is easy to just focus on results without really looking at why things are going the way they are going. Thoughts?

Like I've said since day one---- some men can handle the brightest of lights and some can not.

Texas is the brightest of bright lights. The pressure is immense.

In an article written by Sally Brown several years ago, Sally spoke of her first Texas home game where she met Laura Bush, the wife of then Governor Bush. Sally asked Laura:
"What's it like being married to a man that, no matter what he does, will draw criticism from millions of people?"
Laura smiled politely and replied "Well, you're about to find out."
Sally gave a befuddled look and said "What do you mean?"
Laura then said, while extending her hand "Here's a list of the toughest jobs in Texas. 1. Head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. 2. Head coach of the Texas longhorns. 3. QB for the Dallas Cowboys. 4. Qb for the Texas longhorns. 5. Governor of Texas."

Sally Brown said she wanted to faint.

Like I've said since day one---- some men can handle the brightest of lights and some can not.

In an article written by Sally Brown several years ago, Sally spoke of her first Texas home game where she met Laura Bush, the wife of then Governor Bush. Sally asked Laura:
"What's it like being married to a man that, no matter what he does, will draw criticism from millions of people?"
Laura then said, while extending her hand "Here's a list of the toughest jobs in Texas. 1. Head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. 2. Head coach of the Texas longhorns. 3. QB for the Dallas Cowboys. 4. Qb for the Texas longhorns. 5. Governor of Texas."

@clob94 , non-Texans don't understand the importance of football in Texas.

Reactions: Cotton #12

So now the question becomes "Who is the type of Head Coach that can withstand the pressure of being the HC at Texas?" Obviously a guy like Nick Saban could do it but that just isn't going to happen. You could try to get a guy like Tom Herman but that is the same type of situation that led you to get Charlie Strong. By that I mean Strong came from a smaller conference and smaller stage and was very successful but it was no guarantee he could do it at a place like Texas. Same thing with Herman. Small conference, very successful, but brighter lights and more pressure waiting at Texas.

So the question I have is "Who is the guy that you would hire that a) Can handle the pressure of being the coach at Texas without losing what made him successful and b) Is a guy that realistically would take the Texas?" Obviously Texas is a great lure for a job but some of the better coaches like a Saban, Harbaugh, Meyer, Jimbo Fisher, Dabo Swinney, ect. are already settled in good jobs themselves.

Petrino obviously is another guy but again he is very settled in at Louisville with a Top 10 program.

Last edited:
CEO type coach that is able to hire assistant coaches to manage the X's and O's. The assistant/position coaches must be darn good at recruiting too. The position coaches must be detail oriented.

Then, the head coach can focus on the big picture (while being detail oriented) and non football stuff (BMDs, LHN, etc) without it impacting us on Saturdays. The head coach leads, guides, and motivates the assistant coaches and players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT