ADVERTISEMENT

Details of all 6 possessions in the 2nd Half

The Bostitch

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2012
Much has been made of the play calling during the second half at KSU, here's a description of all 6 drives:

Drive 1 - 4 plays and 20 net yards (after 2 false starts), ends with a FUMBLE

Drive 2 - 9 plays for 29 net yards (another false start), ends with a PUNT, takes 4 mins off the clock

Drive 3 - 3 and out with another false start. Bijan had a 13 yard reception and we had to PUNT after not picking up 3rd and 2

Drive 4 - 11 plays, 64 yards no penalties (on us), got it to the KSU 11 and got a FG, over 4 minutes off the clock

Drive 5 - we ran it up the middle 3 times to run clock and had to PUNT

Drive 6 - 1 play, kneel in victory formation

Drive 6 is irrelevant of course. In my opinion, Drive 5 was basically irrelevant to the discussion of 2nd half bad play calling as we were not trying to score, just run clock. I guess you could argue Drive 5 could have sealed the game if you get a couple of first downs, but we did run clock and force them to use TO.

So that leaves 4 real drives.

Drive One started ok, we had a first down before Worthy fumbled. Not a careless play by Worthy, defender just nailed the ball. Hate the penalties but that's not bad play calling.

Drive Two wasn't horrible considering we ran 9 plays and 4 minutes off the clock. But not great either.

Drive Three was a turd. No way around it.

Drive Four ate clock and resulted in a score, expanding the lead to double digits. Love to get the TD, but that's a good 4th quarter drive.

I score it like this: 1 good drive, 1 bad drive, 1 fumble, 1 mediocre drive. We're not good enough yet to overcome penalties and turnovers to cruise to wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News