Flags at Half Mast

Txczech

85% of the time, it works all the time
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2003
Within walking distance of a Wachovia
I realize I'll probably get flamed for this, but just try to back away from the America forcefield for a second and think objectively.

With that disclaimer out of the way, Im tired of us flying the flag at half mast for every single little thing that happens now. My parents with both military, so I got heavy doses of Americanization as a kid, but I was always led to believe that the flag flying at half mast was reserved for national tragedies and huge national events.

Seems like recently though, every other day the flag is at half mast. Don't get me wrong, Nancy Reagan was a great lady, had a lot of impact on the country, as did Supreme Court Justice Scalia. I just dont consider their passings tragic, they were both up there in years.

I just think by lowering the flag for every little thing, that cheapens the gesture. It doesnt mean as much and we tend to become desensitized to it. I mean, there are times where I have to stop and sit and think why the flag would be at half mast, that should never happen. It should be something of such importance that there is absolutely no doubt as to why the flag has been lowered.

So yeah, I know, first world problems. Just wanted to let you all know what was grinding my gears today, flame away.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.