ADVERTISEMENT

From the exploration of the Americas to our Founding Fathers

CLohr

Gold Member
May 27, 2006
Due to the fact that I've unfortunately had a lot of time on my hands, I've decided to delve into two books at the same time. One is, "Lies My Teacher Told Me" by James W, Loewan, and "Rise to Rebellion" by Jeff Shaara. I've read Shaara's book before, but thought I would read the two simultaneously. I thought it would be interesting to see where we came from in the early exploration and influence by the Europeans to where the Founding Fathers and the original colonies developed the independence and resolve to form the most important and influential power in the world, in the matter of two centuries. In reading "Lies my Teacher Told Me", I had no idea what a brutal, ruthless "explorer" that Columbus was in his raping, pillaging, and being at the forefront of slavery that he was. His exploitation using advanced arms, and his bullying of the use of Christianity. to decimate the peaceful people of the West indies is shocking and abhorrible. Weather it's true or not, it has been intimated several times the "War of the Worlds" was an allegory by Orson Wells on Columbous' onslaught of natives fighting European invaders with sticks and stones against cannons and swords.

In just a few hundred years, the colonies, who were settled by the not so benevolent people themselves, grew to population to over 3 million people. Small sea side communities grew into major ports. People were moving inland, and a strong resolve of independence grew. And out of that, the most influential people to ever change the world emerged. The Sons of Liberty, John Adams, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and on and on. A group of farmers with hunting rifles, pitchforks, and resolve forever changed the world.

I'm just at the beginning of reading these simultaneously but wanted to know if anyone else have read these books and your thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News