Future of Pro Sports and Advertising

Dirty_Franke

Gold Member
Jul 20, 2007
Austin, TX
I was listening to the Bill Simmons podcast yesterday and he had Chuck Klosterman on. If you don’t know him he’s kind of a cultural critic and author and at times an interesting guy.

They were discussing the sale of the Celtics and how the league wants the price to be $6B. Chuck had a theory that eventually and probably soon that advertisers may balk at the size of ad rates for live sports and move dollars elsewhere causing a cascade effect where players salaries will eventually start to drop with the lost revenue and how the players might react to that new reality.

I don’t know how it hasn’t happened already. Personally I rarely watch sports live bc the product has become unwatchable (especially basketball) with all the stoppages. I record and start like 30-40 mins late and do errands or chores beforehand. You can already see the shift in ads to the older demo with endless pharma companies. When the boomers leave us there may not be another audience willing to put up with it.

We’ve already seen the lions share of ad dollars more to search and social media. Are live sports on the clock?

Maybe the big streamers snatch them up use them to drive subs instead but I have a hard time seeing the price tag remain the same. I’m 46 so not considered an old yet but IMHO tv sports broadcasts have fundamentally gotten worse with replay being the main culprit, too many ads and the shifting philosophy of offense making the QB too important. At the same time the increased availability of tv games and gambling proliferation has made sports much better.

TLDR is can ad rates continue to climb with modern attention spans decreasing combined with increasing options for leisure time? If the revenue deals do decrease how would the players take it?

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.