ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread

You're assuming everyone on this team are seniors? Seriously? Weak minded? Bro this isn't the military it's football and most of the team are young. Being a dick about the team you support and these kids are still learning. But to each their own. You do you.

Did you read anything other than the only time I replied to you? LOL, if you did then you're just arguing for the sake of not saying "oh, I see what you mean". Jrs and Srs are not "kids" and saying they're still "learning" is ludicrous and just an excuse.

Since when is being mentally strong only relevant in the military? You serious?

How am I being a "dick" by expecting the upper class to change the way the play, practice and think? Are you just screwing with me now? LOL. Because your stance on this is off

So you're telling me if a kid misses all the time in practice you'd throw him out there anyway?

I love it when guys say, “if player X can’t get the job done, we need to find someone who can”

Like the coaches haven’t tried that.

“Player A sure is better than Player B, but we’re going with B cause f it”

Bro you're pretty hard on kids man. I get it that everyone is fed up with losing but some of the comments are stupid.

When I was their age I stood shoulder-to-shoulder with other “kids” my age and went into harms way for God, Corps and Country. 14 of my brothers, including my best friend made the ultimate sacrifice.

I’d gladly trade that for some mean words on a message board. Something to think about.

Reactions: freeper
So you're telling me if a kid misses all the time in practice you'd throw him out there anyway?
Given the binary choice of trying a new kicker or going for it on 4th and 8 or whatever it was. With our current offensive situation? Yeah I’d probably give the new guy a shot. I mean seriously the worst thing that happens is he misses. Which we’ve been doing all year anyway.

On a side note not sure it’s fair to assume the other guys miss all the time in practice. We don’t know that.

When I was their age I stood shoulder-to-shoulder with other “kids” my age and went into harms way for God, Corps and Country. 14 of my brothers, including my best friend made the ultimate sacrifice.

I’d gladly trade that for some mean words on a message board. Something to think about.

Military and football are not one in the same. Look I get why people that sit on a couch like all fans (including myself) think we can down kids playing a game but sometimes we need to take a step back and look at what we say. I didn't see any quit in this team maybe I watched a different game. I seen a few fans give up in the 1st qtr maybe their weak minded? I mean they gave up right? Honestly I shouldn't get upset we're al strangers and words shouldn't effect me. Just downing the team you should be supporting in its first year with a new coach is annoying but hey everyone has their opinions. Cheers!

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Given the binary choice of trying a new kicker or going for it on 4th and 8 or whatever it was. With our current offensive situation? Yeah I’d probably give the new guy a shot. I mean seriously the worst thing that happens is he misses. Which we’ve been doing all year anyway.

On a side note not sure it’s fair to assume the other guys miss all the time in practice. We don’t know that.

You’re right. TH has a a backup kicker he believes can routinely hit a 44 yard FG, but he won’t play him.

Don't wan to assume the other guy does. I do make the safe assumption that if the other guy was as good or better in practice as the current guy there'd be a switch

Military and football are not one in the same. Look I get why people that sit on a couch like all fans (including myself) think we can down kids playing a game but sometimes we need to take a step back and look at what we say. I didn't see any quit in this team maybe I watched a different game. I seen a few fans give up in the 1st qtr maybe their weak minded? I mean they gave up right? Honestly I shouldn't get upset we're al strangers and words shouldn't effect me. Just downing the team you should be supporting in its first year with a new coach is annoying but hey everyone has their opinions. Cheers!

Saying "oh no here comes the blowout" is just hyperbole in a lame attempt to jinx the other team.

As far as downing the kids...I expect more out of the guys that are in their 3rd or 4th year of college football. I didn't see any of them quit. I did see some of them lose focus in key moments which is 100% mental weakness. These players can be better and they choose not to be. That's not downing the team.

My comments were never about the freshman out there getting after it.

Don't wan to assume the other guy does. I do make the safe assumption that if the other guy was as good or better in practice as the current guy there'd be a switch

Coaches like that don’t tend to win very many games at any level.

Saying "oh no here comes the blowout" is just hyperbole in a lame attempt to jinx the other team.

As far as downing the kids...I expect more out of the guys that are in their 3rd or 4th year of college football. I didn't see any of them quit. I did see some of them lose focus in key moments which is 100% mental weakness. These players can be better and they choose not to be. That's not downing the team.

My comments were never about the freshman out there getting after it.

Ok

You’re right. TH has a a backup kicker he believes can routinely hit a 44 yard FG, but he won’t play him.
Well he certainly doesn’t beleive his starter can hit a 44 yarder. So at some point you might as well try something different. Continuing to fail at the same thing week after week is insane. Literally it’s the definition of insanity.

I’m not claiming the backup kicker is any better. He may not be but to stand up there every week and say “well he hits them in practice” and then make it plainly ovbious you want to avoid using him at all costs isn’t helping anyone

Sometimes you have to try something different just because it’s different. Honestly if we’re not willing on able to kick 40+ yard field goals and it’s 4th and 5 or more were probably better off trying to pooch kick and pin them back than going for it.

Good game Horns. But am really getting too old for these last minute squeakers. In '67 and '68 I could do it. Not now. Sam a good QB. Maybe only above average as a passer but can move the ball and the team. Very impressive. Horn pass D as good as OU has seen all year. Be interesting how you play against Okie State.

Reactions: westx
Good game Horns. But am really getting too old for these last minute squeakers. In '67 and '68 I could do it. Not now. Sam a good QB. Maybe only above average as a passer but can move the ball and the team. Very impressive. Horn pass D as good as OU has seen all year. Be interesting how you play against Okie State.
It will be interesting how OU plays against OSU,TCU,WVU plus a championship game this year.Texas is a team with some gaps that need to be fixed.

Well he certainly doesn’t beleive his starter can hit a 44 yarder. So at some point you might as well try something different. Continuing to fail at the same thing week after week is insane. Literally it’s the definition of insanity.

I’m not claiming the backup kicker is any better. He may not be but to stand up there every week and say “well he hits them in practice” and then make it plainly ovbious you want to avoid using him at all costs isn’t helping anyone

Sometimes you have to try something different just because it’s different. Honestly if we’re not willing on able to kick 40+ yard field goals and it’s 4th and 5 or more were probably better off trying to pooch kick and pin them back than going for it.

I agree with your first paragraph. However, a six point game in the RRS probably isn't the time to "give him a shot"

Furthermore, the K split the uprights on a 34 trader in that game so it's not like he failed there.

More than anything I think TH just panicked and tried to go for the lead at that point rather than trust the K and D.

According to Herman Rowland is money in practice. So not sure I’d put much stock in practice proformence. At least for kickers.

I've posted this before but one thing that Rowland is very good at is touchbacks. He had five kickoffs and three were touchbacks, one got three yards into the end zone. Only one was run back and he was tackled at the 20. And Rowland has done this all year. This is a great benefit to the defense. But I support coach Herman for going for it on fourth and eight at their 27. Rowland can't be trusted beyond 40 yards.

I've posted this before but one thing that Rowland is very good at is touchbacks. He had five kickoffs and three were touchbacks, one got three yards into the end zone. Only one was run back and he was tackled at the 20. And Rowland has done this all year. This is a great benefit to the defense. But I support coach Herman for going for it on fourth and eight at their 27. Rowland can't be trusted beyond 40 yards.
From what we've seen so far, Tom doesn't trust him to kick anything farther than an extra point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT