ADVERTISEMENT

Harbaugh getting paid....

I have no doubt that John Harbaugh would be a good coach at Texas, but is an extra $3M a year worth having to deal with boosters that expect you to drop everything and kiss their ass everytime they come around. As alot of you like to point out, we had a whole slew of coaches say no, before Charlie said yes.

Who said no???

We interviewed two coaches, Charlie and the guy who now coaching Penn State. We picked Charlie and called him back to let him know the job was filled.

Everything else you read came from boosters and BS from people who were never considered.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Son....you said that exactly as I remembered it. Who said no?...I am pretty sure we explored Saban and he said no...but not after we made an offer...He might have come had we pushed it and stacked the dollars.

I also would like Harbaugh....I suspect he would listen for sure. I consider him to be the real deal....I have zero interest in Gruden....I know that recruiting is a pain, but dealing with Free Agents , salary caps, and front office meddling is on par with that in the pros.

I college football, all you have to do is win and most everything else takes care of itself. When you win in the pros, all your guys get rich and either leave or get lazy.

Who said no???

We interviewed two coaches, Charlie and the guy who now coaching Penn State. We picked Charlie and called him back to let him know the job was filled.

Everything else you read came from boosters and BS from people who were never considered.

My Bad.:rolleyes:

Assistants do most of the hard work in recruiting and they do most of the baby sitting

Harbaugh probably outworks every HC in the country when it comes to recruiting. He loves it. Hugh Freeze on the other hand whines about how he doesn't get to see his kids much.

No one officially says no, because they officially weren't offered. It's all done through back channels, so the end result is the only guy you offered the job says yes.

Son....you said that exactly as I remembered it. Who said no?...I am pretty sure we explored Saban and he said no...but not after we made an offer...He might have come had we pushed it and stacked the dollars.

I also would like Harbaugh....I suspect he would listen for sure. I consider him to be the real deal....I have zero interest in Gruden....I know that recruiting is a pain, but dealing with Free Agents , salary caps, and front office meddling is on par with that in the pros.

I college football, all you have to do is win and most everything else takes care of itself. When you win in the pros, all your guys get rich and either leave or get lazy.

Jim mora jr at UCLA claims he was offered

Head coach = face of program = cocktail parties, ski trips with donors, fishing trips in alaska, private jet rides, banquets etc etc

Asst coaches = leg work

That depends on the coach. Properly obsessive coaches like Saban and Snyder work at least as hard as anyone else. (Actually, probably no other coach works Bill Snyder's hours.)

Jim mora jr at UCLA claims he was offered

Mora was never interviewed, that is a fact, we didn't offer anyone that wasn't at lease interviewed. We interviewed two people and mora wasn't black enough to be one of them.

I seem to remember Art Briles saying he wanted an offer without an interview and he never got it, so why would we offer a lesser coach without an interview.

One key difference is Herman won immediately. Charlie didn't. He went 7-6 his first two years. In this day and age it's 'win now', so that makes Herman pretty popular name to associate with open HC jobs
Don't let that fool you. Houston had been pretty solid pre Herrman

They fired their coach after back to back 8-5 seasons and in 2011 went 12-1 under Sumlin

Charlie Strong replaced Steve kragthorpe who went 5-7 and 4-8 hos last two years. So the respective programs were in different shape

Mora was never interviewed, that is a fact, we didn't offer anyone that wasn't at lease interviewed. We interviewed two people and mora wasn't black enough to be one of them.

I seem to remember Art Briles saying he wanted an offer without an interview and he never got it, so why would we offer a lesser coach without an interview.

What kind of questions did you ask during the interview? Maybe we can offer some suggestion that you can use during the process this time.

Reactions: Pumpedup55
Charlie is NOT a good coach. He had a good couple years at Loisville so with the track record Tom Herman has shown...no , do not hire him. Take Joe Wickline for instance, he was a great coach at OSU, he could not get it done at UT because we had a shitty QB so he and Strong are at odds and he is gone, Wickline goes to West Virginia and he is killing it there. So tell me Charlie is a good coach again.

Charlie is NOT a good coach. He had a good couple years at Loisville so with the track record Tom Herman has shown...no , do not hire him. Take Joe Wickline for instance, he was a great coach at OSU, he could not get it done at UT because we had a shitty QB so he and Strong are at odds and he is gone, Wickline goes to West Virginia and he is killing it there. So tell me Charlie is a good coach again.

Strong like Mack has zero identity for what his team will be. If you want to run a spread, pro style, air raid, or wishbone offense fine, do it and recruit and hire accordingly. Don't hire west coast guy to run install and run a spread attack. Just like Mack towards the end we are on our 3rd offense in as many seasons under Strong.

I think Wickline best fits recruiting unheralded guys at programs that aren't expected to land the top class in the conference. He takes guys the big boys don't want and puts together serviceable lines. I don't think he has any interest in stroking a high ranked recruits ego. Not to mention the whole buyout fiasco his tenure at UT was doomed from the start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT