ADVERTISEMENT

Heard/Burt

Well, I actually think it will be better. Colt and Jordan where great, but these two will hit a lot more home runs. This combo is seriously explosive. Not enough being said about John Burt. I knew he would be good, but I didn't see him being this good. His athletic ability plus ball skills make him the best WR Texas has had, well, maybe ever. Not kidding. He's that good. And just wait till Young Megatron and Dickson get here.

Well, I actually think it will be better. Colt and Jordan where great, but these two will hit a lot more home runs. This combo is seriously explosive. Not enough being said about John Burt. I knew he would be good, but I didn't see him being this good. His athletic ability plus ball skills make him the best WR Texas has had, well, maybe ever. Not kidding. He's that good. And just wait till Young Megatron and Dickson get here.
Agree on Burt. I think Foreman can be the Shipley to Heards' Colt.

Burt is an elite talent and has break away speed, he makes plays to the ball no matter where they are thrown and he is a true frosh...:eek:o_O:). Heard is the TRUTH, many of us have been barking this since he signed. I watched him play in Denton. He is a freaking gamer! There will be ups and downs, but the upside is tremendous!

Start getting more big guys up front to go with the youngsters we have now and the future for the O is very bright.

Also we are getting something we haven't had in I can't remember when, QB depth.

I am amazed what a change there has been just by bringing Norvell to the front as the play caller. Just like that we have gone from the worst offense in the history of the program to perhaps the most explosive ever...just like that....Same line....same running backs....same WR....just put in the QB that "didnt get it" and change the scheme and POOF!...we have an offense!

I am amazed what a change there has been just by bringing Norvell to the front as the play caller. Just like that we have gone from the worst offense in the history of the program to perhaps the most explosive ever...just like that....Same line....same running backs....same WR....just put in the QB that "didnt get it" and change the scheme and POOF!...we have an offense!
As long as it doesn't Houdini, we're in good shape!

As long as we sign Buchele then I would think Texas will be fine at QB for the next 4 to 5 years. It's just this year that we again have no depth. Of course all that could again change if we have guys transfer.

I was thinking about it, and I think Swoops having some time to watch Heard play might do him some good so that when he gets the chance to come in for mop up duty he has a better idea what he needs to do to be successful. He seems like a very smart guy who can learn from watching others who are successful.

BTW I was watching the highlight video of the Cal game and after watching it about 3 times I realized that Heard is not a really good passer. Especially the deep passes, but he has really nice touch on the short passes.

My favorite play was the naked boot where he was all run and then at the last second he steps back and dumps the ball off to a receiver for a pretty sizable gain. The play itself was well drawn out but the pass was placed perfectly and it was floated so the receiver could easily catch it. An absolute thing of beauty.

BTW I was watching the highlight video of the Cal game and after watching it about 3 times I realized that Heard is not a really good passer. Especially the deep passes, but he has really nice touch on the short passes.

My favorite play was the naked boot where he was all run and then at the last second he steps back and dumps the ball off to a receiver for a pretty sizable gain. The play itself was well drawn out but the pass was placed perfectly and it was floated so the receiver could easily catch it. An absolute thing of beauty.
I was actually thoroughly impressed with his passing ability and pocket presence. He threw fades, clean in strides, etc(sure, he had an under thrown ball to Burt...those will happen). He had 4 receivers with 65 yards or more, meaning he can see the field and he distributes it well. His deep ball to Burt against rice was 50 yards in the air and he hit the boy in stride. I think he is looking much better than many expected in the arm department.

http://insidetexas.com/rewind-with-eric-nahlin-charting-heard/

Last edited:
I was thinking about it, and I think Swoops having some time to watch Heard play might do him some good so that when he gets the chance to come in for mop up duty he has a better idea what he needs to do to be successful. He seems like a very smart guy who can learn from watching others who are successful.
You may be right. I agree with @Metcalf #2 that Kai should be the only one taking snaps other than JH. Kai can emulate Heard much better than Swoopes can, thus negating having to change the game plan/flow too much. (IMHO)

As long as we sign Buchele then I would think Texas will be fine at QB for the next 4 to 5 years. It's just this year that we again have no depth. Of course all that could again change if we have guys transfer.

I wouldn't count on Shane staying. He's a stud recruit, and stud recruits just don't have the mindset of waiting 3 years to start. If Kai redshirts, that's exactly what he'll be looking at, as he would have his work cut out for him trying to beat Kai out once Heard's gone.

On the other hand, it could very well be Kai that transfers. That dude wants to play badly, and unless Heard just completely collapses or gets injured, he won't get a shot. Either way, don't be surprised if we lose one of those two. It's okay though, Swoopes can be number 3 next year, with Sam coming in the following year. It's all good.

At a school like Texas,you should have 3 QB's ready to play and can play.It was a major downfall of Mack.Based on his size,you better with Heard and he likes to run in the open field.

You can say you better have 3 QBs all you want. It doesn't make it any easier to keep a guy who feels like he should be a starter. The coaches can't put him in handcuffs and force him to stay. Although I'm 100% sure that some around here will blame Strong if we lose Kai or Shane.

^^^^^^ Agreed. Look at the A&M situation. something will give and the top recruit from Az (forget his name)may start to look elsewhere.
Also, I'd like to keep Kai's shirt on this year. I think that redshirt year just seems to help a QB. Look at our track record with true freshman playing. Swoops,Gilbert, Ash it has not been a good way to groom QBs.

I can see Swoopes being pressed in to duty thanks to injury this year. Hopefully not.

But I can also see him being bumped to TE next offseason. With Kai and Merrick a yr in and some other new QBs coming to campus.

Can Swoops play TE?

He isn't a good runner doesn't look nearly physical enough to block someone. Outside of QB I can't think of a position he is suited for, maybe punter.

I think this is gonna be our new Colt to Shipley combo and they gonna jell good together as the year goes on... What do you think?

Hook'em

Don't forget about Newsome and that Collin Johnson and Dickson get here next year. That is a 6'4" plus speedster on each side.

Last edited:
Can Swoops play TE?

He isn't a good runner doesn't look nearly physical enough to block someone. Outside of QB I can't think of a position he is suited for, maybe punter.

i think this is really his only option going forward. if he has some hands and puts on some weight in the off season, i think he matches perfectly. agree that Shane or Kai will probably not stick around.

People need to keep in mind that if Heard develops as a passer and becomes a dominate force in college football he could be gone to the NFL after next season.

That would put the ball in Kai's hands as a RS soph or Shane as a RS freshmen. I don't believe in the two QB system but at the same time they are both so different as passers we could utilize both that first year as they fight it out.

We shall see but it's not out of the realm of possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT