ADVERTISEMENT

Hemphill-Mapps leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcapitan009

Sep 6, 2007
2nd leading receiver last year and Herman says "next man up"

This guys needs some tact and modesty. Even if the kid is a shit head you just say "best of luck to the young man" and move on.

2nd leading receiver last year and Herman says "next man up"

This guys needs some tact and modesty. Even if the kid is a shit head you just say "best of luck to the young man" and move on.

Not true let me paste what he said.

"Disappointing, but we wish Reggie the best," Herman said during his signing day news conference. "We hope he finds what he's looking for out there, but next man up."

What did you expect the man to say? "Reggie please don't go we need you!"

Him adding that last part was completely unnecessary. As an adult and the leader of the team, you don't dismiss the kids like that publicly. He needs to learn what NOT to say as much as what to say.

He needs to learn what NOT to say as much as what to say.

Obviously this must be the first conference you've watched or read on Tom. The guy avoids saying things directly ALL the time about his players. If you feel he took a shot or belittle Hemphill Mapps by saying that ok he should learn to just cut his self off.

What is irritating about your post is you didn't post in full what he said just what you wanted to be pissed about. Then you basically added that he didn't wish him the best which he did. So you got what you wanted which was a discussion. You're a fan right?

Dang - looks like a vanilla statement to me. Not sure why anyone would get upset with it.

Trying to figure out if this is a Longhorn or an aggy. Nit picking in my opinion especially when the statement TH made said "we wish him the best" before anything about "next man up" came about.

Y’all are kidding me right? What’s the big deal? U let it be known that there is a huge opportunity for incoming recruits and players currently on the team to play

Did OP actually watch Herman's press conference where this was discussed? I did, and in it's actual context I think he nailed it and I wouldn't change a thing. It was so normal it baffles me there is a post about it.

Him adding that last part was completely unnecessary. As an adult and the leader of the team, you don't dismiss the kids like that publicly. He needs to learn what NOT to say as much as what to say.

Boo-freaking-who. Listen to the damn presser...it is freaking coach speak. Damnit why are people so freaking soft?

there is nothing more cancerous than a player that does not want to be at a program. Good luck to him.

Reactions: weevilcatch
"Next man up" is for when you have an injury and need someone to step up and take reps.

"Next man up" is not for a kid leaving the program.

You think that quote won't be used against Herman by recruiters and parents when they point at Herman?

Maybe I am getting too soft in my old age. Maybe you guys don't realize that having a gif of our head coach strutting around on the sideline mocking the 19 year old QB on the other sideline is not a good look for us.

"Next man up" is for when you have an injury and need someone to step up and take reps.

You think that quote won't be used against Herman by recruiters and parents when they point at Herman?

Maybe I am getting too soft in my old age. Maybe you guys don't realize that having a gif of our head coach strutting around on the sideline mocking the 19 year old QB on the other sideline is not a good look for us.

Quit being a freaking pansy and watch the presser. If a kid or parent has an issue with that then they can go elsewhere. You're reading WAY too much into this.

Well forgive Tom Herman for not placating to the sensibilities of a key contributor who up and deserted his team/program. Herman bit his tongue and politely wished RHM well. The 'next man up' comment was directed at the returning and arriving members of the WR corps to send the message that we're not going to dwell on our losses but instead embrace the competitive opportunity that this presents; it was not directed at RHM. There was absolutely nothing wrong or out of line with Herman's comments.

I get what you're saying----- however, dissecting words from public figures has become the hyper norm in this country--- and sometimes we take it too far.

Do I think Herman wanted Reggie to stay? Of course I do. Are we expecting him to say that publicly? Not so much...... that's a conversation that's best kept behind closed doors. Showing that you'd beg a kid to stay is a sign of weekness. If he wants to go, then fair the well, and we'll move on without you.

Maybe you guys don't realize that having a gif of our head coach strutting around on the sideline mocking the 19 year old QB on the other sideline is not a good look for us.

Well he did just manage to get us a #3 class so if it bothered anyone outside of the players it really doesn't matter. The "kids" are coming to play for someone you're obviously embarrassed about. Also my GIF has a split second of our coach and mostly Sam doing the "secure the bag".

I get what you're saying----- however, dissecting words from public figures has become the hyper norm in this country--- and sometimes we take it too far.

Do I think Herman wanted Reggie to stay? Of course I do. Are we expecting him to say that publicly? Not so much...... that's a conversation that's best kept behind closed doors. Showing that you'd beg a kid to stay is a sign of weekness. If he wants to go, then fair the well, and we'll move on without you.

Maybe if I saw it live, it may be a non-issue. Like 99.9% of the world, I didn't have the time to sit and watch the presser. Quotes matter and even if Herman hates RHM and wanted him gone, just end it there.

I'm offended that this is even a thread. Absolutely nothing wrong with what Herman said. SMH
Well, well, well........... look who decided to crawl out from under the Dewitt county jail?

What'd they put you in for this time Metcalf? Were you drunk and shakin your weiner in the cuero HEB frozen food Isle again?

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Well, well, well........... look who decided to crawl out from under the Dewitt county jail?

What'd they put you in for this time Metcalf? Were you drunk and shakin your weiner in the cuero HEB frozen food Isle again?

Close. I was in jail in Corpus for defecating on some crappy little football team's field down there. I told them it said "Cats" on it, so I thought it was a litter box. They didnt like that. Guess I should've waited until after the game.

It's ironic because saying anything remotely negative about Herman or the program will send some of these posters into hysteria.

Actually, it sounds like it's you with the Herman problem. Sounds like you have an axe to grind, and are reaching for anything to criticize him for. I don't care who said it, there's nothing at all wrong with it. Embarrassing that a Longhorn fan would even make an issue of it. That's the kind of crap we expect from aggy.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT