ADVERTISEMENT

Herman

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
Just writing names down of you Herman Birds for future reference, now that CS has the good players in place, his work done for him, I gotta laugh my ass off when he can't do any better the 1st and 2nd yr, just like Charlie, every year you people want a new coach, when we lose

It maybe that the players aren't as advertised and can't play College level ball, they had a whole yr to play ball. hell they was playing in HS, Football isn't a Rocket Science Sport, seems to me they don
t understand the schemes on offenses, on Def, all this stuff they shoulda learned in HS to get their 5 Stars all the basics of FB, I guess CS taught them how to drop balls and fumble and let the runnin backs run same play and rip ya for 20 back to back or how to throw into double and triple coverage, and Gilbert and his 5 play offense

I want Texas to win also but, it won't be with Herman, he's just a patch for now till you all want another, in 3 yrs his ass will be on the road again

Hook'em

Just writing names down of you Herman Birds for future reference, now that CS has the good players in place, his work done for him, I gotta laugh my ass off when he can't do any better the 1st and 2nd yr, just like Charlie, every year you people want a new coach, when we lose

It maybe that the players aren't as advertised and can't play College level ball, they had a whole yr to play ball. hell they was playing in HS, Football isn't a Rocket Science Sport, seems to me they don
t understand the schemes on offenses, on Def, all this stuff they shoulda learned in HS to get their 5 Stars all the basics of FB, I guess CS taught them how to drop balls and fumble and let the runnin backs run same play and rip ya for 20 back to back or how to throw into double and triple coverage, and Gilbert and his 5 play offense

I want Texas to win also but, it won't be with Herman, he's just a patch for now till you all want another, in 3 yrs his ass will be on the road again

Hook'em

Tell us who will be good then. Where are these players that are ready to go straight out of high school? By the way it's the coaches job to teach them how to play football so you somewhat proved our point that Strong was a bad coach and needed to go.

FB I agree about the players may not be as good as advertised. We have experience with that going back to Mack's last few years.

If these players are so great they should have beat Kansas, I repeat, Kansas no matter how bad the coaching was.

These guys have been hearing how great they are since they got here and haven't done a dam thing as a team.

There have been some great individual performances like we saw yesterday, but not so much playing like a team should.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
The next coach will win at least 50% of their games here at Texas. Strong is the worst head coach ever, at Texas.
I agree and go one further. With OU for instance, Riley has full control of the offense. If Stoops were to step down and Riley took over, who is to say he wouldn't have really good results? Our offense wins games for us not the defense. Obviously game management comes into play but if a guy is smart enough to draw up a good offensive game plan then he's also capable of handling the rest. Just something to think about.

Reactions: freeper
I agree and go one further. With OU for instance, Riley has full control of the offense. If Stoops were to step down and Riley took over, who is to say he wouldn't have really good results? Our offense wins games for us not the defense. Obviously game management comes into play but if a guy is smart enough to draw up a good offensive game plan then he's also capable of handling the rest. Just something to think about.
I agree. Mack was an offensive coach that worked out well in the Big 12. Herman cut his teeth in the Big 12 as a GA at Texas. Herman is the best mid-major out there.

Tell us who will be good then. Where are these players that are ready to go straight out of high school? By the way it's the coaches job to teach them how to play football so you somewhat proved our point that Strong was a bad coach and needed to go.

You can lead a horse to water but, you can't make it drink! They played this game very Friday nite in HS, if they could not play then how did UT FB coach know about them and offer them a Scolly? You just give people who can't play the game a free ride and bring them to Austin? And there are no good ones out there now but, a few patches till one comes along.

Hook'em

FB I agree about the players may not be as good as advertised. We have experience with that going back to Mack's last few years.

If these players are so great they should have beat Kansas, I repeat, Kansas no matter how bad the coaching was.

These guys have been hearing how great they are since they got here and haven't done a dam thing as a team.

There have been some great individual performances like we saw yesterday, but not so much playing like a team should.

Most of these players were recruited by many top programs nationally. The problem isnt the talent coming in. Its no progression from year to year. We are as bad this year as last year. Yes the defense is better, but are you telling me Strong couldnt figure that out till game 3 or 4 of this year? He didnt realize it at all last year? What the hell was he looking at the whole time?

This applies to the whole program.

I'm not giving Charlie or this staff a pass, but I am saying that the starting sophomores have played 20+ games and the starting freshmen have played 10+ games should be able to beat Kansas.

I don't see much blame placed on the players. They are the ones on the field playing the game.

I'm not giving Charlie or this staff a pass, but I am saying that the starting sophomores have played 20+ games and the starting freshmen have played 10+ games should be able to beat Kansas.

I don't see much blame placed on the players. They are the ones on the field playing the game.
Maybe they feel they don't have to play UP to a certain level? No repercussions if they don't? Who knows?

Reactions: freeper and ekal48
Even as I want Sumlin to be fired I'm not sure I'd want Herman. Maybe because we have been burned once by a Houston coach, I don't know. I don't think Herman is an answer but I agree..then who? Herman has great ties to the rich city of Houston so that would be great for you guys, but guys that can win week in and week out and keep the heads focused and lot lose to SMU and Navy and play close to others worries me. COULD be that he is focused on moving on and players know as well and they haven't played that great because of it. I don't get into the look, he beat OU or Florida St crap. MANY mid majors do that because those ARE their big games and ONLY games of the season. They don't get up for you, you get up for them. He is interesting for sure and I think he will be your coach, but I'm not sold on him. I KNEW Strong wouldn't work and told you that from day 1. I'm not sure on Herman. Initially last year I said you can have him, but he is intriguing I guess, but risky as Strong was. You can't afford another maybe.

Last edited:
Briles can do it now! Just a scapegoat for Board of regents. Dude can evaluate talent and get more out of less, proven coach.

Maybe they feel they don't have to play UP to a certain level? No repercussions if they don't? Who knows?

.. had a couple of Marine Corp drill instructors that would have put fire in that 'want to'.

the practices I attended in 1977 were pretty damn lethal.

edit: a coach needs to bring balance in gaining respect from players without being their best friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: swVAHorn
FB, so who do you think Texas should hire? Be realistic though.

I don't think their is one out there right now and the right fit for Texas, there ar a lotta patches that would that would be 3 yrs fixes, not many 10 or 15 yr coaches out there right now, Herman could be another CS, win at Louisville and fall here or win at Houston fall here same difference, Texas is not a job for just anyone, the intensity of the fanbase plus the politics and expectations are hard on a coach.

Hook'em

I don't think their is one out there right now and the right fit for Texas, there ar a lotta patches that would that would be 3 yrs fixes, not many 10 or 15 yr coaches out there right now, Herman could be another CS, win at Louisville and fall here or win at Houston fall here same difference, Texas is not a job for just anyone, the intensity of the fanbase plus the politics and expectations are hard on a coach.

Hook'em
The thing is FB that Texas HAS to have a Coach. Strong is not even close to getting it done. 3rd year losing to the worst P5 team in the nation is unacceptable at most schools NOT just Texas. I have doubts about who we get too but I am sure willing to give it a try. Can't get much worse and that is just the truth.

The thing is FB that Texas HAS to have a Coach. Strong is not even close to getting it done. 3rd year losing to the worst P5 team in the nation is unacceptable at most schools NOT just Texas. I have doubts about who we get too but I am sure willing to give it a try. Can't get much worse and that is just the truth.
These kids know now what it is to lose I think and its up to them to want to turn it around, you could have a truckload of coaches with them but, if they don't want to play , not much ya can do, the burden lays with the coach and also them, most of them been playing a long time now and should know how to play the game.

Hook'em

Reactions: swVAHorn

Hook'em

Strong is out and will be replaced. You say that you don't like Herman, and there is no guarantee that he is the right guy, but who would you hire if you were making the decision?

This University has a problem and a solution, and it is the same thing. The boosters are both. They can't shut up and keep their nose out of it, but we need their money. What we don't have is leadership in the AD office. Perrin seems like a great guy and all, but he needs to put on his big boy pants and do what needs to be done. He needs to take charge of the hiring process and not screw it up. He needs to let the Boosters know he is in charge and they are just there to fund things.

If he does that he can ride off into the sunset a Longhorn Legend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT