ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: Jarrett Allen will enter NBA Draft, but not signing with agent (Wed. 11:40 a.m. UT confirms)

DustinMcComas

You are what your fWAR says you are.
Gold Member
Apr 26, 2005
Wooten, Austin
Wednesday 11:40 a.m. update:

Texas just announced what was reported yesterday - Allen will enter the draft, but will not hire an agent. From UT:

AUSTIN — University of Texas freshman forward Jarrett Allen will declare himself eligible for the upcoming 2017 NBA Draft, the school announcedTuesday. Allen will submit his name into the draft but does not plan to hire an agent.

“I want everyone to know that I am testing the waters with this decision, but I will not be signing with an agent,” Allen said. “Going through this process will allow my family and I to make the best decision possible for my future.

“I had a fantastic year personally here at Texas,” Allen continued. “I had fun and learned so much. I learned that things are going to be tougher than you think, but you have to learn how to respond to adversity. And I’ve matured a lot as a person.”

During his freshman season, Allen claimed All-Big 12 Conference Third Team and Big 12 All-Newcomer Team accolades. He also earned a spot on the 10-person United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) All-District VII Team.

Allen led the team in rebounding (8.4 rpg), blocked shots (51) and minutes played (32.1 mpg) and ranked second on the team in scoring (13.4 ppg). He converted 56.6% (179-316) from the field and reached double figures in scoring 25 times and double figures in rebounds 14 times in 33 games played.

Allen recorded 12 double-doubles on the season (tied for third-highest total by a UT freshman in school history), including eight in Big 12 Conference play. He also ranked fourth on the UT freshman season chart in total rebounds (278) and fourth in rebounding average (8.4 rpg).

In Big 12 Conference play, he averaged a team-best 16.2 points and 9.8 rebounds per game while converting 59.9% (118-197) from the field. Allen reached double figures in scoring in 17 of the 18 league games.

Can confirm Jon Rothstein's report, per a source, that Texas freshman big man Jarrett Allen plans to enter the NBA Draft, but will not sign with an agent.

Based on what I've heard, Allen has yet to make an actual decision, but is going through this avenue that allows players to workout and go to the combine without committing to staying in the draft.

So, don't freak out, Texas fans. Still no decision made.

This year's NBA Combine is scheduled to take place May 9-14th. Underclassmen that put their name into the draft have until 10 days after the combine (May 24) to remove their name.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News