ADVERTISEMENT

Humor me. My yearly post about organ donation.

txlonghorn4x4

Bon Vivant and Raconteur
Gold Member
Apr 13, 2002
Katy, Tx
June 9th, the 3rd birthday of my new life. Bittersweet day for me. On this day in 2021, God made me whole as I received my 2nd transplant. My kidney. It is still working like a champ, although there have been a few complications, but mostly in the first year. I thank the two angels who provided me life, through death. I pray for them often.
Why is this bittersweet? My mom was in the hospital at the same time as I was, and just a few days after my transplant she passed away. I couldn't be by her side with the rest of my family as I was still at Methodist recovering, and despite my best efforts to leave, I was unable to. I thanks the 3 chaplains who came and prayed with me, and they just let me vent and cry. When I was done, I knew I was where I needed to be.

Long story short(too late I know), but organ donation saves lives. If you are a donor, you can give 8 people a second chance on life. Personally, I am healthier than I have been in 20 years, and I live a full and active life. Honestly, most don't believe me when I share my story. I was given that second chance, and I live my life to honor those who saved me; my surgical team, all of the nurses and staff at Methodist, my dialysis team(was there 3 days a week 4 hours/day for 11 months), the lab workers who draw my blood(1st was once a week, and now it is once a quarter), and above all else my two donors.

I implore all of those who are not donors to at least think about it. You can't use them when you're gone, so why not donate them to those in need. Through death, life.

Matthew 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News