Immediate Reactions to Sark's Mississippi State-Week Presser

Alex Dunlap

Any Updates on Desmond Harrison?
Staff
Jan 18, 2005
Travis Settlement, TX
SPONSORED BY MYPERFECTFRANCHISE.NET
Are you…
  • Ready to leave the corporate Rat Race for the American Dream?
  • Looking for a side hustle while working your current job?
  • Wanting to diversify, build wealth, and/or leave a legacy?
Andy can help!!!
Andy is a franchise consultant (as well as franchise owner) and helps people find franchises that fit their skill sets, financial requirements, time to commit and more….
His services are 100% free and he’s here to help if you have any questions about business ownership.
image_from_ios.jpg

Learn more about Andy and franchise ownership through these resources:
Andy's Story
Why a Franchise
Service Based vs Brick and Mortar
Semi Absentee Ownership
The Process and How It works

Andy Luedecke
www.MyPerfectFranchise.Net
p: 404-973-9901
e: andy@myperfectfranchise.net
Book time with me at: Andy's Calendar

Here are a few immediate thoughts about and reactions to Steve Sarkisian's Mississippi State-week press conference, coming off another resounding win at home and heading into ... we can finally say it ... SEC conference play!

I wonder if anyone is going to ask about the quarterbacks?

- Sark said he was proud to see Bijan and Xavier Worthy playing in a NFL primetime game last night. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: You had to know that post-game jersey swap was coming.

- Sark said that the two defensive players of the game vs. ULM were Anthony Hill and Liona Lefau -- two guys who play the same position. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: And two guys who both have in-helmet communication. Lefau has been playing really well.

- SEC opener: ton of respect for Lebby, knows Texas football well, very innovative with good wideouts. I think back to our first year, fighting, scratching and clawing. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I wonder who will have a better record, Mississippi State this year or 2021 Texas?

- On Lefau and Ty'Anthony Smith: We've always thought really highly of Lefau - he's got a great relationship with Nansen, his approach has resonated with Anthony and Liona. Ty'Anthony, I thought I was getting a developmental player but he gained 20 pounds and as a true freshman he's getting a lot of valuable reps. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: He had a couple of bad missed tackles versus ULM but Smith of course has been a big surprise. I'm just like Sark, I thought 100% developmental guy, but he played in the first quarter versus ULM.

- Eric Henry asked about Jahdae Barron on the outside and what went into that position change. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Sark explained the simple explanation: you can't play both Guilbeau and Barron at nickel corner. We're really asking this before we ask if Quinn is looking like he's going to play this week?

- On being able to control the game through the whole game: I love that our personality is coming out of this team, we have a really cool swagger about us. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Even Arch Manning, who seems like a really buttoned-up kid, has some definite swag to him ... I was almost a little bit worried that he was going to get a taunting call at the end of his long run versus UTSA and he also has some dances he does. It's fun.

- Bob Ballou asked about how hard it was to get the WRs up to speed after transferring in: It takes real work, there's one thing to have the physical ability, it's another to know what to do because then you can play fast. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Same can be said of Wingo's ability to step into a new situation, every time he gets an opportunity he shines, it's incredible.

- Chip Brown asked about having to change the offense with the RB injuries and also asked about Quinn Ewers (finally): Sark said he didn't really have to change the offense. They believe in running the football and you have a veteran QB who can play pitch and catch to the perimeter. Also mentioned he'd like his screen game to pick up a little bit. Ewers practiced today. He'd be questionable for Saturday. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: We'll MAYBE know more about who starts this weekend on Thursday and I don't think we'll know any sooner, but we'll see. I still kinda think it is best just to let Ewers heal all the way up and have the bye week before OU and Georgia. Deandre Moore also practiced today.

- Ced Golden asked about Arch saying the game felt long: "I thought one thing that he did really well Saturday was that a year ago after that pick, it might have taken him a minute to rebound from," but that wasn't the case this year. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: He just went right back in and got to dropping total nukes. Arch has some stuff to work on but my gosh what an air show he can put on.

- Anwar asked about how much Quinn really needs to practice: He's gotta do enough to show me he can play. Can he execute the game plan? Needs to make sure he's healthy enough to play at a high level. Sark said that the injury report is so that we can minimize the leaks in the program from a gambling perspective. If that minimizes them having to talk to people, then just give them the report. As for montioring other teams' injury reports, Sark insinuated he's not sure that everyone is going to operate honestly with their reports. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Highly interesting little bit of insight there. And I'm calling BS that he's not going to look at other teams' injury reports even if he is suspicious of them.

- On the tempo of Mississippi St: It's difficult because you don't see it that often. He's now more than ever changing his tempos. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: He mentioned that Lebby has been deep in this offense since his time at Baylor with Briles and then was reminded just how deep his connections to Briles are. Yuck.

- Bohls asked about the difference between the SEC and the Big 12: Definitely big people in this conference. It can take a toll on you over an extended period of time. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: That's why I let Quinn sit this week if I'm the coach, which I clearly (and thankfully for all involved) am not.

- Brian Davis asked about getting the team ready for SEC play now that it is finally here: It wasn't that big of a shift from what we thought we needed to do at Texas because you have to compete with the SEC teams to go win a national championship. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: Let's be honest, Flood especially was ALWAYS going to want to recruit giant humans, he can't help himself, he has a type.

- Was there a moment when he felt SEC-ready? Sark said last season he thought they had built a team that looked right about where he wanted it to be, but wasn't sure of the depth. This year, he feels like they do have the depth to withstand the strain the conference puts on you. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: A lot of that has already been tested and we're just now entering conference play. Let's hope they can navigate any trouble spots in the SEC season with the success they've navigated them so far.

- On all the deep balls from Arch: It was the plan going into that game. In a game plan for us, my call sheet has all kinds of plays and throws -- we looked at eachother and said there's a lot of shots on here. Arch is a really good deep-ball thrower. In the end, I wish I had a few more freebie completions for him to get the completion percentage up. ALEX'S THOUGHTS: I don't think anyone is too worried, Coach.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.