In the market for a 1/2 ton truck

etauch

Can't hang ten here
Gold Member
Jul 24, 2007
Some here may recall I was involved in a serious car accident a little over a week ago. Not surprisingly, my 2018 F-150 King Ranch was totaled, and I am looking to get another truck.

Here are some current thoughts...

I like the fully loaded models...Ford King Ranch/Platinum, Chevy LTZ/High Country, Ram Limited, Tundra Platinum/1794.

I was generally disappointed with the quality of my F150, which had the 3.5L Ecoboost. In the 4 years that I had it, it experienced 14 different recalls, and had some minor transmission issues. I also just spent $700 fixing the sun roof a few weeks ago, where the glass came off the track.

The most I will ever tow is a 6000-8000 lb RV. Most manufacturers' 1/2-ton offerings these days are more than adequate for that level of towing.

GM models are good looking trucks, but Consumer Reports rates them last in quality currently. They are also about to undergo a significant interior update.

Practically every auto publication out there says the Ram 1500 is the current leader in the clubhouse, routinely besting GM and Ford models in head-to-head competitions.

The new Tundra is not getting the most favorable reviews.

So I don't have any brand loyalty, and I'm leaning towards the Ram 1500. Just wondering if there are any compelling reasons to choose something other than the Ram at this point, and curious to hear from some folks that might have recently gone through the 1/2-ton purchase process.

Reactions: Sunheightshorn

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.