ADVERTISEMENT

interesting read

If you can do without sports and have decent internet options, you have a myriad of streaming options that in many cases blows cable out of the water. You can go bare bones and stick with a Netflix subscription for 10 bucks a month. That gets you quite a bit of quality content. Netflix is getting up there to where it's almost a must even if you do have cable. Or if you can't quite detach from all those channels that in reality you never watch you can go with something like playstation vue and get a bunch of channels for 40/month. VUE is structured like a more traditional cable setup, but it cuts down on costs because it's not offering a bunch of obscure channels, but still even then I think they should have more basic plans.

This would all be done via streaming so your internet has to be up to snuff.
Thanks. My kids are always on Netflix in addition to cable. I've just never taken the time to really research what everything is and what it offers.

Soccer can grow all it wants, but I'm not a fan and never will be. It's just boring to me. Watching the grass grow is more exciting to me than soccer.
How about Curling? Every time I see it on tv I find myself watching it. They have had a series on since January called Curling Night in America. Last night was the only night I caught it though. I guess I like it due to its similarities to shuffleboard.

Hell Bell....just tape it and you can watch it on Saturday afternoons in the fall....

How about Curling? Every time I see it on tv I find myself watching it. They have had a series on since January called Curling Night in America. Last night was the only night I caught it though. I guess I like it due to its similarities to shuffleboard.
Just fyi-- canadian men USED to tell their women they played in a "community" hockey league much like many dudes in America play in softball leagues etc-- and then women started finding out their "men" were in fact joining curling associations.

Canadian women mocked their significant others and in many cases broke up with them because curling is seen as a pansy sport in canada.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Elite soccer skills are God-given?! :rolleyes:

Wow! All those decades spent practicing by Messi, Cristiano, Luis Suarez, Neymar, etc. There was a gene for all that. No need to practice for 2 decades growing up, and then additional time spent with the ball as a pro. We just needed a DNA test. Compare your genes to Pele & Maradona. You've either got it or you don't.

Genes certainly help with speed, height, stride length, and so on, but ball-handling skills have to be practiced over and over, consistently and diligently, as you perfect them over the years. It doesn't just happen like beard growth does.

Obviously you have to practice. All of it you have to practice. No matter what genes you have you aren't going to run a 4.3 forty if you don't do speed training. My point was it's not just a matter of logging hours. There are heights to abilities that not just anyone can reach by practicing.

Last edited:
Thanks. My kids are always on Netflix in addition to cable. I've just never taken the time to really research what everything is and what it offers.

Netflix is great. A lot of content, it's just different than what you are used to. There are a lot of great shows on there, and a lot of older shows that maybe you missed when they originally aired. Plus binge watching TV shows is such a better experience imo. You don't feel overly invested and watching episodes closer together (rather than 1 a week, and months between seasons) you pick up more on the subtlety (if there is any)Amazon prime also has some good content. Both are okay for finding a movie and every once in awhile a really good movie will be available, but for the most part the movies aren't going to be blockbusters or name brand. More indie small budget stuff, but it's not like cable (outside of HBO and such) offer great movie options. There are a lot of streaming services options that can completely destroy cable in everything outside of sports. That is really all the traditional cable has left for now.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Netflix is great. A lot of content, it's just different than what you are used to. There are a lot of great shows on there, and a lot of older shows that maybe you missed when they originally aired. Plus binge watching TV shows is such a better experience imo. You don't feel overly invested and watching episodes closer together (rather than 1 a week, and months between seasons) you pick up more on the subtlety (if there is any)Amazon prime also has some good content. Both are okay for finding a movie and every once in awhile a really good movie will be available, but for the most part the movies aren't going to be blockbusters or name brand. More indie small budget stuff, but it's not like cable (outside of HBO and such) offer great movie options. There are a lot of streaming services options that can completely destroy cable in everything outside of sports. That is really all the traditional cable has left for now.

If you know people get a Kodi box they are jail breaking firesticks and putting tons of content on there. You can get every movie pretty much known to man whether it be new releases as in theaters or older movies. You can also get Netflix on there and vudu and cable channels. Every sporting event (yes bell curling) and every paper view event for FREE. You can even record and have playback once a show has started. I have one that I got for 65 dollars one time payment. I have the mini tv box jail broken that is better then the firestick and with a better processor. All you need is a good Internet connection wifi or ethernet and an hdmi cord. You can also unplug it and take it with you anywhere you want.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT