madcow12

Jan 13, 2010
Football
Report: Texas RB Chris Warren’s mom could force transfer
Posted October 6th, 2015

Brian-Davis-square.jpg

Brian Davis American-Statesman Staff

@BDavisAAS

Texas running back Chris Warren’s mother indicated she will force her son to transfer if things don’t work out in Austin, according to a report.

In an interview with Realdawg.com, the Washington Huskies’ 247sports recruiting website, K’Tara Lopez said she’s still in a “wait-and-see stage” with her son.

“Christopher will not play for a coach that does not place academics, the development of a young man’s foundation (character) and enforcement of proper conduct on and off the field at a very high level,” Lopez said, according to the website. “We are not timid about the transfer process like others are.”

Lopez told the website she wouldn’t say which school Warren would transfer to, but “you know his final list,” she said. Warren’s recruitment came down to Texas and Washington.

Warren has played sparingly so far this season, getting only 33 yards on 10 carries in three games. He was ranked as one of the nation’s top 10 running backs in high school.

Lopez said she’s watching to see if UT administrators give coach Charlie Strong enough time to right the ship. Texas started the year 1-4 going into Saturday’s game against 10th-ranked Oklahoma.

“I think he can (turn UT around),” Lopez said of Strong. “But (I’m) not sure the time frame will work for the UT fans and alumni.”

http://www.hookem.com/2015/10/06/re...mp=statesman_social_twitter_2014_bevobeat_sfp

That's a bizarre story. At least it's pro Strong I think. I think it's odd that a recruiting site for Washington is interviewing the mother of a Texas player.

yes, pro strong. If strong gets fired, he will transfer. I think the longer this goes on and as the losses stack up you are going to see what I would call a line in the sand drawn. I honestly think you will have one half of the team seeing it as the admin not giving a black coach a chance and cutting ties with him way too early (if that happens) and the other side hoping to get a less lenient coach in there. I do not think we have gotten to the so called "ugly" part of this whole process. Either way , Charlie deserves respect , even it things go south. I do feel for the guy, he seems like he really wants a great team out there I just think he is caught in a perfect storm right now.

The threat of transfer from a player is never a good look, and it's really not a good look under the headline of "Mom could force transfer"

The threat of transfer from a player is never a good look, and it's really not a good look under the headline of "Mom could force transfer"
this is also the only one we have heard about. I am sure there are a bunch of parents weighing the options if he does get fired. Do not forget he sold all of these freshmen and some of the sophomores that he would take care of them and the family counted on it. Worst case scenario ??? this program could be wrecked for many many years....

The actual Husky article also says they aren't afraid of transferring if things don't get turned around as well.

I wouldn't blame anybody for transferring if a coach leaves/gets fired, but the argument of mass exodus always gets brought up when a coach is on the hot seat. Until the NCAA changes the transfer rules to be more favorable in these situations the schools a kid can go to are limited.

It's a threat towards the admin! Bravo... He wont be the only one that transfers if Strong is fired and it will be more than a handful.

I wouldn't blame anybody for transferring if a coach leaves/gets fired, but the argument of mass exodus always gets brought up when a coach is on the hot seat. Until the NCAA changes the transfer rules to be more favorable in these situations the schools a kid can go to are limited.
They can go where ever they want if they are willing to sit.

yes, pro strong. If strong gets fired, he will transfer. I think the longer this goes on and as the losses stack up you are going to see what I would call a line in the sand drawn. I honestly think you will have one half of the team seeing it as the admin not giving a black coach a chance and cutting ties with him way too early (if that happens) and the other side hoping to get a less lenient coach in there. I do not think we have gotten to the so called "ugly" part of this whole process. Either way , Charlie deserves respect , even it things go south. I do feel for the guy, he seems like he really wants a great team out there I just think he is caught in a perfect storm right now.

I like a more disciplined coach. Way, way over a lenient one. I want to win the right way.

Key word here is WIN.

Now Strong needs more time. He has shown some good things on and off the field. But he needs to correct the ON field issues that are apparent right now. And even some of the off field ones with players tweeting, complaining, etc. If the wheels fall off as this season progresses and the bright spots of say week 2 and 3 are not enhanced upon......it is going to be a tough off season for the man.

His biggest mistake was one many of us saw from day 1. When he loyally brought Watson over with him and hid it from us by acting like Wickline would be the play caller.....until season 1 almost opened and he announced Watson was the guy. His second biggest mistake, was keeping Watson on board to change this offense. He should have moved on this offseason and cleanly worked to make the change if indeed Watson was in over his head. I like the loyalty and there is something to be said for consistency and allowing guys to fix mistakes (but that is assuming they are capable of it and not in over their head). Watson was exposed years ago in Nebraska and Colorado that he is a good QB coach, decent developer of players, and a terrible play caller and offensive scheme guy. Now his deficiencies were exposed by young, inexperienced QBs that weren't ready (and the staff leaning on a prayer that Ash would stay healthy) behind an OL that was wrecked by xfers and dismissals. But isn't that why we hired the OL genius Wickline?

Yeah the narrative of only giving your first black coach a year will be out there, and it's not a totally unfair criticism. I mean it is unheard of basically to fire a coach 2 years in. It's also no secret that some of the money guys were less than enthusiastic about strong. So it will be seen as oppetunistic

AAS appears to be on a mission and the agenda is clear. Bohls had some shade as well.

That's a bizarre story. At least it's pro Strong I think. I think it's odd that a recruiting site for Washington is interviewing the mother of a Texas player.

Not odd at all, she wants to make sure her son plays for a coach that is genuine, when it comes to principles and academics. With all the rumors floating around, she is simply saying that they will look into transferring, if Strong is fired and replaced with the wrong guy.

Last edited:

I don't see it as a threat...more like a heads up that her son will not play for a scumbag, win at all cost coach.

Not odd at all, she wants to make sure her son plays for a coach that is genuine, when it comes to principles and academics. With all the rumors floating around, she is simply saying that they will look into transferring, if Strong is replaced with the wrong guy.

It's not odd for recruiting sites to interview mothers of players that don't play for the school they represent?

It's not odd for recruiting sites to interview mothers of players that don't play for the school they represent?

Say what. What player doesn't play for the school they represent? Is that a riddle?

Say what. What player doesn't play for the school they represent? Is that a riddle?

The article is the husky recruiting site interviewing Warrens mother. That's odd imo because Warren plays for Texas not Washington. What did they call her up to see if he was open to transfer?

It's not just the Warren kid, it's a few other parents that feel the same way. If Strong was to get fired. Watch how bad it's going to get. Do you think parents would want their kids to go to a school that was unfair in not giving a coach his full time on his contract? Then you will have some parents looking at it as racial thing. I would look for the Boyds to transfer, Warren, some receivers and some db's and some of the kids that are lock to jump ship such as the Johnsons even though they are UT legacy's.

I do believe the race card in this is pointless.

I don't care if the guy is purple with zebra stripes. A win is a win. A loss is a loss. I want to win with pride and dignity and also building young men off the field. I wouldn't sacrifice the latter for the former.

And that being said. Embarrassing losses are worse than other losses (see TCU beating UT back to back for first time since the 1950s....and they did it in huge blowout fashion). Now I still think Strong needs time. To bail on the guy doesn't so much set the 'wrong racial tone' as it does totally disrupt everything every kid is working towards. You can't blow up the factory every year and expect it to keep producing goods at a high level. There is something to be said for consistency (see say the Pittsburgh Steelers who have about as many titles as anyone and the lowest HC total as any team in NFL history....now see the Cleveland Browns who have a new HC every month or so along with new QBs and no real direction or identity since like Kosar and Kevin Mack).

Strong simply is being talked about as losing the job and/or the team....because of a lack of on field performance. Not because of his skin color. He has lost 6 of his last 7 games and most of them have been blowouts. From TCU last year to Arkansas to TCU this year. And this last one had a damning player tweeting at halftime. Thats unacceptable.

He still gets time to fix it. But it is not a sure thing that he will. The team needs to build on the hope again soon. He can't keep building some momentum (see Swoopes last year mid season before he crashed and see Heard a few weeks back before the team crashed). At some point there needs to be sustained growth and clear progression. I get that the youth in some ways holds that back but NO EXCUSES for repeated embarrassments. You gotta fix that stuff.

It's not just the Warren kid, it's a few other parents that feel the same way. If Strong was to get fired. Watch how bad it's going to get. Do you think parents would want their kids to go to a school that was unfair in not giving a coach his full time on his contract? Then you will have some parents looking at it as racial thing. I would look for the Boyds to transfer, Warren, some receivers and some db's and some of the kids that are lock to jump ship such as the Johnsons even though they are UT legacy's.

Do you have names and quotes from other parents are is this speculation?

Everyone knows my stance on Strong, he just isn't going to cut it. He blew up this team too much. His original staff hires have turned out to be a disaster. It's looking like every one of his original staff hires should/will be gone by the end of this season. Not a single one has been worth a damn, and that doesn't include Brick Hailey who also should be gone. So why in the world should we keep Strong if everyone knows we still won't be good next year and he is supposed to be bringing in a new staff for one season? What quality assistant coach is going to sign on for one year?

This is why I think we are better firing him now letting one of the staff guys take over to finish out this year and bring in a new coach and new staff. I just don't see Strong being able to gut his staff, and it needs to be gutted, and still making it. We are better off cutting ties and bringing in a new guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT