It's a matter of when Strong is fired, not if

DubaiBob

Gold Member
Nov 11, 2007
Dubai
This is not an "insider" post.

It's more a plea to spare Texas from further disaster.

I'm not sure when its going to happen, but I'm fairly certain we're going to part ways with Charlie Strong. It's a matter of when, not if. So the question is how bad do we want things to get before we do the right thing?

After Baylor would be the least damaging for the long term prospects for Texas in my opinion. I'm sure there will be some short term heat from the media, but after Baylor would be more ideal. If you can fire Les Miles in a season where he was in the hunt for a while, you can sure as hell fire Strong for the regression that's occurred under his watch.

Now imagine we do bring Strong back for next season, and ND comes in and rolls us in DKR? I think we can all agree that's more likely going to happen than not. Do we fire him after the first game and throw away another season? And kill recruiting altogether for a serious block of time? Remember Mack pretty much became a dead man walking after BYU and it got ugly when he salvaged the season and didn't want to go.

The other scenario is that Strong rides out his contract having learned the ropes of the Big 12 to the point where he's got the program mediocre autopilot. I don't think anyone on this board would disagree with me that this is the best case under Strong. You know in your gut that he's not going to have Texas competing for anything meaningful.

It hasn't worked with Strong. Now we start all the over with a new offense. Basically hitting the restart button on offense in the Spring. Does it make sense to bring Strong back as we approach the mid way point in his contract and he is getting a complete "do over"? What's the point?

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.