Ketch, impressions of DKR game environments

chastok

Gold Member
Sep 14, 2006
@Ketchum Heard you haven't been to a game since 2013.

I knew that might be the case when you brought up House Divided discussion with Chad about crowd involvement.

I have heard all sorts of crap about how bad DKR is, and then people bring up games at 11am in Sept vs Kansas St and I roll my eyes because its irrelevant.

Then they discuss how awesome Oregon is (and the game they went to was vs UW or ND or somesuch). Or they discuss LSU (when Bama came to town and it was a night game). Or Aggy (when it was against Bama again). And again, not apples to apples.

Have a coworker that I didn't know was a huge Bama fan. He was here 2 years ago. He has also been to every SEC away stadium (yes, death valley at night, GA, Aggy, etc) so he knows what the crowd is like when a bad ass, hated team comes to town as Bama is EVERYBODIES superbowl in the SEC.

His statement was that DKR, 2 years ago, at 11am, in 100 degree weather, was the loudest stadium he had ever been to. Louder than every other SEC stadium when they were playing Bama.

So, at the very least (as one persons opinion can be subjective), DKR is in the ballpark. It isn't anything other than one of the loudest stadiums in all the country. Some might be marginally louder. But with the right opponent (Bama 2 years ago, LSU in 2019), DKR is in that top group of loudest most intimidating places to play, 2nd to none.

And that's coming from a Bama fan.

Experiences from 2013 might not be the best way to remember how loud DKR is. And 2006? Man, that was nearly a quarter of a century ago.

That would be like some old telling you when you started OB, around 2000, about how quiet DKR was before Earl Campbell became "EARL" in 1977. Not very relevant.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.