ADVERTISEMENT

Kicker Chris Naggar will enroll at Texas, it's just a matter of when (story)

Suchomel

Staff
Aug 10, 2001
Chris Naggar knows where he's going to college. The Arlington High kicker will be attending the University of Texas at Austin. What he doesn't know is when he'll be enrolling, or how exactly he can fit in with the UT football program.

Naggar, a first-team all-state selection, made contact with members of the Texas staff a few weeks ago. Recently, he has reached out to get information on the possibility of enrolling early but he's still waiting to hear the details. If it's up to Naggar, he'll pack his bags as soon as possible and make his way to Austin.

"Right now I'm just really trying to get in front of everyone. I want to get to Austin as soon as possible so I can get in front of teammates, have them learn what I'm about," Naggar said. "I don't want to get there, have day one of school be the first day they meet me. I want to be able to show them that I can earn my spot, not just walk in and expect that kind of thing. I just want to get there as soon possible, get to work."

Getting Naggar in for the first summer school session, which begins on June 2, may be a bit of a chore, since Naggar doesn't have housing set up. If he can find a place to live, Naggar said he'd be more than willing to head to Austin for the first session. If that doesn't work, he'll shoot for the second summer session. Worst case scenario, he'll enroll for the fall semester and try to walk on at that time.

"If they ask me to come tomorrow, I would be in the car and on my way," Naggar said. "I could cancel any plans I have to get down there."

In his previous conversations with the Texas coaches, Naggar was told he'll have a chance to compete for the place-kicking position when he gets to Austin. Now he's hoping to get word on when he start competing.

"I've been praying a lot about it. Just talking to my parents a lot, just trying to have some patience. It's been a good lesson for me," Naggar said.

If he's not able to enroll until the fall of 2016, Naggar said he'll go through the normal walk-on procedure and try to secure a spot on the team.

"That's the plan. If I don't hear anything, I'll show up day one, ready to go," Naggar said. "I'm not going to worry about that either. I know I'll be ready for that tryout. Even if I don't get there for training camp, I won't let myself be lazy over the summer. I'll be in good shape, be kicking, will be ready for that first game."

While he waits, Naggar is trying to keep himself in top physical and mental shape He has dropped some weight and continues to kick several times a week to stay sharp.

"I'm on a meal plan right now to get my body fit. I've actually lost quite a bit of weight after the season. I was close to 210, got down to 180. I'm just in better shape," Naggar said. "I have a trainer I work with, two, three, four days a week. I go kick up at the high school four times a week or so. Even if I'm not there for training camp, I will be in as good of shape as anyone will be able to get me in."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News