ADVERTISEMENT

LSU

FlourBluffHorn

Jan 5, 2007
Its time to kick the Chinese Bandits asses!

69631789-940661782946348-3057122670064697344-n.jpg

This would make a good rug under Earl Campbell's Heisman!

Just to let everyone know if you haven't yet seen the stat line on the LSU Georgia Southern game--

GS had 74 yards rushing and a whopping 24 yards passing.

LSU has a NASTY defense.

Reactions: ASURAM2010
I was watching the LSU game quite a bit yesterday and here's what I saw: As the game went on their qb got more in rhythm. He can move around some but he's not what I would call mobile. Seemed to throw the ball well enough. They rotate in 5 rb's. Their No. 1 rb reminded me a lot of Quinten Griffin from OU years back but a little stouter. He's got good moves and is quick. The wr's seemed sufficient, nothing special that I saw. On defense, their Dline will probably get pressure on Sam without having to blitz. They will probably put a big dent in Texas run game.
Their secondary seemed pretty good. I think I heard the announcers say they have 2 freshmen starting at corner so they can probably be exploited there. I think Texas can get to their qb by blitzing and get him rattled into some mistakes.

Just to let everyone know if you haven't yet seen the stat line on the LSU Georgia Southern game--

LSU has a NASTY defense.

Yeah, but GS isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut in the first place. Aren't they still a one dimensional ground and pound type of offense?

Reactions: HornsUp37
Yeah, but GS isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut in the first place. Aren't they still a one dimensional ground and pound type of offense?
They were actually going uptempo and throwing the ball but I’m sure the ground and pound is their choice go to

LSU has a NASTY defense.

How do you possess the ball for over 28 minutes and only amass 98 yards of offense?

La Tech lit ya up for 351 yards passing. HA. Yeah, LSU may have 2 freshmen starting. but 1 was the #1 ranked DB.
Y'all in for a rude awakening come Sat. LSU is gonna name the score

La Tech lit ya up for 351 yards passing. HA. Yeah, LSU may have 2 freshmen starting. but 1 was the #1 ranked DB.

Really? So, Mr. L$U fan, what will the score be?

38-17 Tigers

Lol. No way L$U scores 38 on Texas' defense. They don't have that kind of offense. Don't get too carried away with beating Georgia Southern. L$U won't blow out Texas. Herman has an incredible track record in games like this. There is a big coaching advantage that favors Texas.

Is your qb mobile? I think Texas will get him with some disguised blitzes.

You do know they put 330 yards passing on you last year with Williams and Battle in your backfield?

I don't know who y'all put on Hardy but he had 10 catches for 181 yards and 2 TDs in Baton Rouge. Texas held him to 3 catches for 38 yards and no TDs. He had 2 catches for the game before his third one against the Texas bench in the 4th quarter.

DBU.

Last edited:
How much of that was after 38-0? 1st team did pretty well.

Damn what a big game this is. LSU's season is as much on the line as is yours. Took some guts to schedule this one.

I know I should probably want you guys to beat the Tigers. Good for the cotton bowl match up, and for the conference. But I just can't do it. lol.. God help me, I hope you guys lose by two touchdowns (wouldn't wish worse than that since we're talking about kids/young men playing for the burnt orange) No injuries for you guys though. Also, I hope the refs call the game fairly.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
How much of that was after 38-0? 1st team did pretty well.

Looks like they had 260 yards total before their first TD in the 4th when we started to play our back ups. We had about 400+ before their first TD.

Hookem225 you obviously didn’t watch the game and we all know GSouthern isn’t anything to bump your chest over. Glad you came over to try and troll. Stay put!

From Sushihorn on Surly:

Playing a really bad opponent makes it difficult to draw any but the most elementary conclusions. FCS Georgia Southern fits that description to a T. Poor, one-dimensional offense led to short drives ending in punt or turnover. Consequently LSU was on a short field all night. GSU's defense was in a 2 high safety look with 5-6 man box most of the night. Usually that's an invitation to run. It also makes it difficult to disguise blitzes and coverage schemes.

LSU generally used about half of the 40 second play clock. That is definitely faster than last year. It may give some SEC opponents difficulty but it's old hat to Orlando. That's a standard to slow pace in the Big XII. The replay video missed the first drive but of Burrow's 21 pass attempts I saw, he completed 18 of them. I frankly didn't believe the stat line when I saw 24 of 27 but it makes a lot more sense on viewing. What I saw was dominated by ultra-short pass completions (5 yards or less) with many of them behind the LOS.

12 of the 18 completions were in the ultra-short zone. 5 were clearly behind the line. All of those should have been in front of the defender. Of the other 6 completed passes, 3 were short (6-10 yds), 2 intermediate (11 and 16 yds) and one long (35 yds). Average completion was 5 yds past the LOS. YAC against simple, static scheme and inferior athletes seems to have accounted for approximately half the passing yardage. It definitely helped that GSU couldn't get any pressure (zero sacks and QBH).

What is interesting to me is that what was already a mediocre LSU running game last season managed to look worse against such a weak opponent. 3.7 YPC when there were no sacks to distort the average is not good. That's doubly true where the opponent makes no special effort to stop the run. After watching the game, it's clear that the OL still has a serious problem giving up penetration. LSU surrendered 7 TFLs and they are fortunate that the number was so low.

GSU defenders were in the backfield repeatedly. They just weren't athletic enough to finish the play in many cases. The number of TFLs could easily have been double against a better defense. LSU's OL were also pretty poor trying to pick off defenders in space in the screen game. The WRs did a much better job blocking on the perimeter than the linemen.

Pluses: Burrow showed good accuracy even if the passes were mostly very easy. He got the ball out quickly 70-75% of the time. No sacks and very little pressure allowed. Only 2 drops by the WRs.

Minuses: No consistent running game. OL still looked slow and could not keep defenders out of gaps. Not really tested or challenged since week 1 opponent was terribad.

Conclusion: Burrow was very accurate throwing short passes to initial pre-snap reads or short check downs with 4-5 seconds in the pocket and minimal pressure. He's still hit or miss on intermediate to long balls. He won't have many clear reads next week. I doubt he'll have anywhere near that amount of time or protection either. Not being tested yet, we have no idea if that accuracy will hold up when screens don't get it done or he has a defender in his face. A lot of the bubble screens and short hitches will get stopped on the spot by better defenses. Throwing the ball a bunch against a bad defense that has no ability to turn you over or create negative plays is low risk. It often translates poorly against good defenses, Just ask Mike Leach.

I have even less concern about LSU's running game now than before week 1. An FCS team stopped them pretty well just playing an honest box. That's a lot worse than the bowl game where a G5 defense had to load the box to achieve a slightly better result (against the run at least). I can see Texas playing a lot of dime with a 5 man box (3-2) and 2 overhangs

Reactions: LonghornMM
38-17 Tigers

Texas 24 - 7

You’ll be crying into your trailer yelling at your mom to turn off the picture box. Maybe your daddy uncle will take you squirrel hunting the next morning to get your mind off the ass beating, and you can convince yourself you still can win the SEC because it wasn’t a conference loss. Then you can make eyes at your cousin while eating nutria. Now **** right off.

Texas 24 - 7

You’ll be crying into your trailer yelling at your mom to turn off the picture box. Maybe your daddy uncle will take you squirrel hunting the next morning to get your mind off the ass beating, and you can convince yourself you still can win the SEC because it wasn’t a conference loss. Then you can make eyes at your cousin while eating nutria. Now **** right off.
Hell, I may join him for all those festivities. What trailer park does he live in

From Sushihorn on Surly:

Playing a really bad opponent makes it difficult to draw any but the most elementary conclusions. FCS Georgia Southern fits that description to a T. Poor, one-dimensional offense led to short drives ending in punt or turnover. Consequently LSU was on a short field all night. GSU's defense was in a 2 high safety look with 5-6 man box most of the night. Usually that's an invitation to run. It also makes it difficult to disguise blitzes and coverage schemes.

LSU generally used about half of the 40 second play clock. That is definitely faster than last year. It may give some SEC opponents difficulty but it's old hat to Orlando. That's a standard to slow pace in the Big XII. The replay video missed the first drive but of Burrow's 21 pass attempts I saw, he completed 18 of them. I frankly didn't believe the stat line when I saw 24 of 27 but it makes a lot more sense on viewing. What I saw was dominated by ultra-short pass completions (5 yards or less) with many of them behind the LOS.

12 of the 18 completions were in the ultra-short zone. 5 were clearly behind the line. All of those should have been in front of the defender. Of the other 6 completed passes, 3 were short (6-10 yds), 2 intermediate (11 and 16 yds) and one long (35 yds). Average completion was 5 yds past the LOS. YAC against simple, static scheme and inferior athletes seems to have accounted for approximately half the passing yardage. It definitely helped that GSU couldn't get any pressure (zero sacks and QBH).

What is interesting to me is that what was already a mediocre LSU running game last season managed to look worse against such a weak opponent. 3.7 YPC when there were no sacks to distort the average is not good. That's doubly true where the opponent makes no special effort to stop the run. After watching the game, it's clear that the OL still has a serious problem giving up penetration. LSU surrendered 7 TFLs and they are fortunate that the number was so low.

GSU defenders were in the backfield repeatedly. They just weren't athletic enough to finish the play in many cases. The number of TFLs could easily have been double against a better defense. LSU's OL were also pretty poor trying to pick off defenders in space in the screen game. The WRs did a much better job blocking on the perimeter than the linemen.

Pluses: Burrow showed good accuracy even if the passes were mostly very easy. He got the ball out quickly 70-75% of the time. No sacks and very little pressure allowed. Only 2 drops by the WRs.

Minuses: No consistent running game. OL still looked slow and could not keep defenders out of gaps. Not really tested or challenged since week 1 opponent was terribad.

Conclusion: Burrow was very accurate throwing short passes to initial pre-snap reads or short check downs with 4-5 seconds in the pocket and minimal pressure. He's still hit or miss on intermediate to long balls. He won't have many clear reads next week. I doubt he'll have anywhere near that amount of time or protection either. Not being tested yet, we have no idea if that accuracy will hold up when screens don't get it done or he has a defender in his face. A lot of the bubble screens and short hitches will get stopped on the spot by better defenses. Throwing the ball a bunch against a bad defense that has no ability to turn you over or create negative plays is low risk. It often translates poorly against good defenses, Just ask Mike Leach.

I have even less concern about LSU's running game now than before week 1. An FCS team stopped them pretty well just playing an honest box. That's a lot worse than the bowl game where a G5 defense had to load the box to achieve a slightly better result (against the run at least). I can see Texas playing a lot of dime with a 5 man box (3-2) and 2 overhangs
LSU film doesn't mean squat.

They did the same thing we did--- played it close to the chest and didn't give us anything to use in the film room.

Reactions: Belldozer1
LSU film doesn't mean squat.

They did the same thing we did--- played it close to the chest and didn't give us anything to use in the film room.

Doesn't change the fact that they couldn't run the ball and had 7 TFL's.

Reactions: hookem777
Negative, Bell is the sh!t talker that won't go away. I'm firing with both barrels this year.

Bells a ok guy, I have alotta fun with him, even though he a Okie...He's a lot better than some OU shit we have had over here in the past, Damn 2300 give us a chance to convert his ass before ya give him to the dogs!

His new handles gonna be : The Burnt Orange Warrior:!

Negative, Bell is the sh!t talker that won't go away. I'm firing with both barrels this year.
Haha hey I can take it as well as give it but I do think it should all be directed at me. I can guarantee you’ve never seen one post out of me directed at anyone’s family , wife etc. I’m not offended I just think it’s too easy to get out of hand

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT