ADVERTISEMENT

Men's basketball good try but short again

Shaka smart is garbage straight up. He is worse than Rick Barnes and not any better of a recruiter. This guy is not the answer. He has proven to be a bad hire IMO. Time to cut him loose. He has stolen enough money. You have a top 3 lottery pic and MC Donald's all Americans all over the court and he can't beat TCU?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pumpedup55
Start looking at quality nba coaches on the way out. I would take Billy Donovan. Smart has failed. We are going to have to endure at least one more losing season. The dumbass AD gave ss a huge contract b4 he left. UT admin incompetence in a nutshell.

Could we lure this guy from Virginia away? Seems like an under the radar coach and we could offer way more than Virginia could

Don't follow B'ball to much, but it really does seem like there was a lot of hype that isn't being lived up to around Shaka.

For those of you that follow, are we in for another coaching change anytime soon?

Couldnt help to notice the the Stagnant no movement without the ball offense that Shaka has installed......still hope they get into the tournament but as coaching goes.....we probably need a change....unfortunately

Good try is being way too kind. It was a pathetic effort in every respect.

BBR, was it you or someone else that said that Smart would be back no matter what next year? I don't follow basketball that closely, but surely Shaka won't get a free pass if Texas fails to make the tournament. If I'm wrong about thinking that you said that, please correct me. Thoughts?

We are stuck for one more year with him think we have to give him 3 years out of the 5 year contract. I think @BringBackRoyal can vouch or correct me. His recruiting class next year are the type of players that fit his offensive of style.

I must admit, I was wrong about Shaka. I thought he was going to be great. Certainly has had plenty of talent and underachieved.

That being said, I'm really at a loss. It seems there's something in the water in Austin that makes our kids immune to running a half court offense, and shooting free throws, no matter who the coach is. At this point I really think we could get Pop, and it would look like he suddenly forgot how to coach ball movement. I don't know what the hell is going on.

Now I know why I couldn't shoot free throws when I was in high school. It was the dam water.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Start looking at quality nba coaches on the way out. I would take Billy Donovan. Smart has failed. We are going to have to endure at least one more losing season. The dumbass AD gave ss a huge contract b4 he left. UT admin incompetence in a nutshell.
Billy Donovan leaving the NBA to come to UT? After leaving a college program that won multiple national titles for the NBA? Not likely.

BBR, was it you or someone else that said that Smart would be back no matter what next year? I don't follow basketball that closely, but surely Shaka won't get a free pass if Texas fails to make the tournament. If I'm wrong about thinking that you said that, please correct me. Thoughts?

Yep, that was me. Smart has around $14.9 million in guaranteed money left on his contract after this season. I think he's back next year no matter how poorly they perform the rest of the way.

I honestly can't even imagine Texas eating the ~$12 million left on his contract after next year if next year goes poorly. It's basketball, after all.

Reactions: LonghornMM

The wins over TTU, OU, TCU and Bama are good ones. As long as they get to 19 wins I think they are a safe bet to make the tourney which is a huge improvement over last year. They do have a tough remaining schedule so its not a given but I think they will get in as a 9-11 seed.

The wins over TTU, OU, TCU and Bama are good ones. As long as they get to 19 wins I think they are a safe bet to make the tourney which is a huge improvement over last year. They do have a tough remaining schedule so its not a given but I think they will get in as a 9-11 seed.

Have you looked at the remaining schedule? Getting to 19 wins will be very difficult. This team is on the outside looking in right now.

I'm guessing if Donovan were to get canned at OKC he would land another NBA gig and prefer that over returning to college.

Who knows how he feels about the NBA now? Anyway, I'm not arguing that it's likely or anything. I was just pointing out that the other poster wasn't talking about snagging him from OKC. A moot discussion anyway, since Shaka is 100% assured to be coaching here next year if he wants to be.

Yep, that was me. Smart has around $14.9 million in guaranteed money left on his contract after this season. I think he's back next year no matter how poorly they perform the rest of the way.

I honestly can't even imagine Texas eating the ~$12 million left on his contract after next year if next year goes poorly. It's basketball, after all.
Yup..another shitty hire and just throwing money away. Its the Texas way though ;)

My point is that we need to be looking for a coach that can take us to the next level. Donovan can do it. If he leaves OKC, then we have the money to sign him. It's not like we are going after a college coach like Jimbo the Fi$her. Whitemanfromtown=bob weltich=dave grohl=longhorn lenny=douche bag aggy.

Having a good team next year with 2-3 starting seniors, assuming AJ comes back is a weak way to have a good team. Without Bamba, we may still suck because the only D played against TCU was the officiating. Big Baller could coach our team next year and do well.

I hate admitting it but I'm getting the feeling we might have sh!t the bed with shaka.

It seems like Charlie the same problems and not much improvement very inconsistent play. A lot of almost wins but just can't finish .

again, shaka was hired to bring havoc and, fine, you can also bring the offense if you must. but then he decided to hang his hat on that terrible offense and ditch havoc. stupid stupid stupid

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT