ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Basketball

westx

Dec 6, 2009
Good win over a decent okie lite team. This team has been difficult to watch this year. So many turnovers, bad shots and lack of ball handling. It was not much different in those aspects tonight except for they played through it. They played very athletic tonight and looked very good. J. Allen needs more of the "nasty" shaka speaks about. We are only 7-7 but, I believe Shaka will get it done. I expect for Texas to be playing at a higher level by year's end.

Last edited:
Let's see where they are after first round of Big 12 games.
They may surprise and do well, and they may not.

Was at the game. You could see Tevin Mack come into his own last night. Eric Davis had a nice game as well.

Hopefully they keep improving, but remember this is still the same team that lost to UT Arlington. They have a long way to go...

Shot 3s better last night and more importantly rebounded the ball.

arlington is not bad. allen is a camp kid-- he's been refined and he's really talented, but he doesn't have psychotic killer in him. a friend of mine said he thought that about aldridge too; my reply is "well, what has aldridge ever won?"

durant, even with a lesser team at UT, had killer. tj obviously had killer. allen, i'm afraid, does not. he will go to the nba, average 16 & 7, be a solid second or third banana, and get paid very handsomely. and while i'm glad we have him, he's not a turning point guy for our program.

i hope i have to eat my words

If this team had a real point guard it would look a lot better. It is a hard team to watch sometimes. But the talent is there for sure. It just needs to come together.

Reactions: cwillfromdatx
If we had a true point guard could you imagine how good this team would be?
you mean like Isaiah Taylor...and these bigs would probably make him look better thus having a better shot at the NBA...sad that he didn't get great advice

War Room:

Tom Herman caught the attention of a lot of folks when he discussed Texas’ facilities, and specifically his goal to upgrade them beginning right now. But football isn’t the only sport in the facilities discussion currently.

I was able to connect with a couple of sources tonight to get an update on the future of Texas’ basketball arena. Fortunately for Texas and its fans, it sounds like there is some sense of urgency right now, which hasn’t always been the case.

According to one source, when Texas developed and published its master athletics facilities plan (May 2016), progress towards studying, designing, and eventually working towards building a new basketball arena basically ceased to exist. In fact, Texas switched companies, which led to the selection of a new group contracted to research possibilities, and come up with a plan.

Right now, the two main areas being studied and researched extensively for a new basketball arena are 1) the area that’s currently home to Texas’ Rec Sports building and the School of Social Work (southeast of Moncrief), and 2) the area just beyond the south side of Myers Stadium. The leader in the clubhouse right now is the former, and a new arena in that area would still allow for South End Zone expansion and for Moncrief to stay where it is.

Why that area? A few reasons: Great accessibility for students; surrounding parking facilities (Manor Garage, Brazos Garage, the new East Campus Garage); more flexibility with the construction and design. Basically, it’s a way to make the students and alumni happy, and also create a new, state-of-the-art facility that’s on campus.

From what I was told, an arena in that area would very likely also include a new Cooley Pavilion or similar practice facility with everything basketball would need for practice, offices, or games in that arena. A source also indicated that user/fan experience is playing into the discussion much, much more than things like parking. Plus, if Texas wants to build an on-campus arena, there aren’t exactly many options.

The research and initial planning being done were described as developing a “flexible, basketball-centric arena,” designed with basketball on the brain, but with the ability to host other things like graduations or concerts while still being able to keep a college basketball feel. An example given to me, in reference to a basketball arena that can do more than just basketball, was the AT&T Center where the San Antonio Spurs play. I’ve also heard Texas studied arenas at places like Oregon, who built the Matthew Knight Arena in 2011, and other college programs that have recently built flexible, basketball-centric arenas that are also home to other facilities like Nebraska. Nebraska and Oregon are two of the newest arenas built for college basketball.

One source thought the initial discussion about an arena in that area of campus would seat 10,000-12,000 people not including suites and clubs, which would also be in the arena.

What’s the timeline looking like? From what I’ve heard, an initial plan is being designed currently based on research done for the best place to put the best arena, and Texas should view that completed step soon if it hasn’t already. Texas has been actively pushing the research and planning. Then over the next four to six weeks, an actual, more formal design and plan should be presented to Texas if it approves of the initial design.

As for any steps beyond that, projecting that timeline is trickier. A source I spoke with speculated that Texas could be doing all the research and initial planning now with the goal in mind to have all that data available if/when it brings in a new athletics director in 2017 so that person could then sign off on it and get the ball rolling towards construction; right now, a formalized plan would give Texas what it needs to research cost and building time. (McComas)

A couple of hoops recruiting notes:

Georgetown transfer Isaac Copeland, a 6-9 wing/forward that plans to enroll at his new school in January, texted me that he recently visited NC State, and is currently on a visit to Nebraska. He currently doesn’t have any other visits planned. Obviously, if Texas doesn’t get him on campus, it’s not a significant factor. My gut feel at this point is Nebraska. Copeland is applying for a medical redshirt so that he would have two years of eligibility remaining if approved.

I continue to hear that the smart bet is on Oak Hill Academy 2017 point guard Matt Coleman making a decision January 16th. Coleman hasn’t committed to that date publicly, although he mentioned in in the past. Oak Hill plays on ESPN that day. As for a future destination for Coleman, all signs point to the ongoing, tough Duke-Texas battle. But the Texas chatter has picked up a little bit more than the Duke chatter recently. (McComas)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT