ADVERTISEMENT

My Memo to America

jantheman50

Jan 3, 2005
Houston
This past Saturday I was running errands. My first stop was the pet store. I was greeted warmly and enthusiastically by a West African clerk. Next stop was the cleaners that was manned by a courteous African American woman. Then I picked up some alterations from a Vietnamese owner. Chiropractor was an Italian American. Foot massage owned by a Chinese man. My favorite lunch stops are owned and operated by hard working Greek, black and Vietnamese men. My suit maker is Indian. I have colleagues at work that are first generation Americans from a dozen different countries. My immediate neighborhood is incredibly diverse. My grandsons have Anglo, Hispanic and Filipino blood in their veins. I'm attracted to Anglo, Asian and Latin American women.

I am grateful and blessed to live in a city that is represented by so many cultures. I am a Christian and yet I still sin. I am against abortion but you won't find me shooting up a clinic. I'm heterosexual yet I have homosexual friends and valued colleagues.

I'm opinionated but embrace healthy constructive discussion on varied topics. If I disagree with you, don't confuse that with bigotry or hate.

I naturally fear what I don't understand so I seek to become informed.

I am so proud to be an American. I delight in my son who chose to protect our freedom by serving in the military. I am against any race, creed, gender or religion that endangers this freedom and quality of life whether domestic or foreign. I'm against thieves, murderers and those that choose not to work and live off other taxpayers regardless of race, gender or religion. I'm outraged by domestic abuse, sex slavery, rape and human trafficking. I vow to do more to be part of the solution. I'm concerned about illegal aliens and weak immigration policies but this isn't just my country, it's OUR country. All of our descendants came from somewhere. Mine on my father's side came from King of Prussia, Germany. They no doubt brought their culture, religion and work ethic with them. I'm sure they were not welcomed with open arms by every American citizen but I'm thankful they stayed and persevered.

Friends, it's high time to express ourselves through hard work, compassion, tough love, tolerance, patriotism and common sense. I believe it's harmful to lead with fear, bigotry, partisanship, ignorance, radicalism or indifference.

Let's get it together America.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News