ADVERTISEMENT

O.T.: What jobs will AI threaten the most or outright eliminate?

more_bourbon

Gold Member
Jul 8, 2002
Austin
I'm a computer/tech geek. I've been involved with computers in some way since I got out of the Navy and started working for IBM back in 1993. I still love tech and all the new advances and gadgets that come out. This new AI stuff is exciting and scary at the same time. My son is 19 and has a job working in a warehouse environment with an electrical supply company here in Austin. He's really been working his butt off and the management took notice. They offered him a promotion and want to hire him on directly (he was working through a temp agency prior to his offer). He's really excited and wants to get some certifications to increase his value to the company. I'm really proud of his work ethic and how he is maturing as a young adult.

With all of that said, I've been pretty consistent in thinking that something computer based would be more to his liking in the long run. I don't interfere much with his goals and aspirations. I try to focus on loving him and supporting him in his interests and goals.

I think cyber security would be an excellent field for him to go into. He's been a gamer for years. I built his last three gaming rigs. Now he's on his own there since he makes his own money. My worry is, if he did choose to go more in the direction of tech, what jobs will AI eliminate in the next 10 to 20 years? I would hate to recommend something only to see it gobbled up by AI.

I found an article that seems to think cyber security will be in huge demand for the foreseeable future. What are your thoughts on this? I guess going into the actual AI field would be pretty lucrative too.

TIA oh wise OB board members.

11 Technology Jobs Primed to Grow Fast Over the Next 10 Years

Cyber security is #2 on this list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News