OT: Communication Breakdown

Dignan02

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
After watching everything that has transpired over the past few days I can't help but feel a great sadness about where we are at as a society. I've been trying to figure out exactly what has gone wrong in the last 10 years or so that has led to such animosity between different political parties, races, cultures, and generations in this country. We are the most developed nation in the world, and the richest, yet we seem to be at war with each other over so many different issues I feel we are just creating so many divisions between ourselves.

One thing that I see as a common denominator is that people have forgotten how to truly communicate with each other. Technology has created social media outlets in which people are expressing themselves in a way that creates some distance between two parties and a one-sided conversation; the mindset of a lot of people is to express themselves in such a manner where there isn't really any dialogue. Yes, you will have situations where a Facebook post will lead to a heated discussion or conversation; but in reality most people want to be HEARD and not LISTEN on these social media platforms. "Look at what I am doing" or "Look at what my thoughts are" is the way I perceive a lot of social media tweets, posts, or comments.

This applies to the situation yesterday night and the other killings by police officers because I think that people are not willing to listen, compromise, or understand what people are complaining or concerned about. Even as I was watching the BLM protest yesterday I couldn't help but think "these people just hate police officers." Then I had to stop and think to myself: is this really true? Probably not... Possibly some of the protestors do harbor that sentiment, but what are these people really trying to communicate? They feel like those that were sworn to serve and protect have failed them.

At the same time, there seems to be a lack of accountability within the black community to acknowledge that they are committing crimes at a higher rate and actually killing more black people than white people or policemen are. But why is this point only brought up in closed quarters and not in the media? Because as soon as this is stated, the opposition will shut down the argument and say that that is a racist statement. If each side were to truly LISTEN to people, acknowledge their concerns, digest them, and discuss in a rational manner, a lot of this violence might have been prevented. But we live in an era of instant overreactions and emotional decisions. "You are either totally agree with me or you are the enemy!"

All relationships: marriage, families, friends, business, etc.. are successful if each side is willing to listen and to compromise. That seems to be happening less and less as people are only willing to accept solutions that benefit themselves.

I've always been on this site for the shits and giggles and of course to keep up with the Horns, but something got into me today and I felt like I needed to let this out. Feel free to disagree or agree but I won't shout you down if you do. Peace and love,

Dignan

Reactions: bozans

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.