ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Question for the Docs of OB about the Practice of Medicine

C K

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2019
Austin
I am curious--why is it so hard to find a doctor who will think critically about your problem and actually try to help you? Some of my family has been going through some medical issues that are not clear cut and have been difficult to diagnose. The quality of doctor varies so wildly, but it is genuinely shocking to me that the typical response, if there isn't a medication to prescribe or a procedure to do, is to sort of ignore the problem. I'm not trying to trash all doctors, but it has been a really frustrating experience to navigate the system. It seems like the best doctors I've seen are in pediatrics or OBGYN, which i understand to be less "prestigious" practices. I find that interesting, too.

Is it an issue with malpractice liability, what insurance will cover, or related to been overworked/understaffed? Does medical school do a good job of training doctors to think critically, or are they just matching lab results and symptoms to a pre-determined treatment? Because it really seems like it's the latter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News