ADVERTISEMENT

Our offensive stats from last Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been three qb's in the past 15 years who have rushed for more than 160 and thrown for 360 in a single game. Heard did it as a freshman starting his second game.

Jerrod Heard 2015-09-19 Texas v California 364 163
Jordan Lynch 2012-11-14 Northern Illinois v Toledo 407 162
Johnny Manziel 2012-10-13 Texas A&M v Louisiana Tech 395 181
stat link

We'll know soon enough if he's the real deal, but setting a school record for offense is a pretty good start.

Hook 'em

There's been three qb's in the past 15 years who have rushed for more than 160 and thrown for 360 in a single game. Heard did it as a freshman starting his second game.

stat link

We'll know soon enough if he's the real deal, but setting a school record for offense is a pretty good start.

Hook 'em

... and going back to what I was saying above, look at the competition. Even if Cal isn't a world-beater on defense, they're probably the best overall team out of those 3, right? At the very least you'd think that they'd keep the ball away from us when they're on offense enough to dent the stat...? It was an impressive game for Heard no matter what caveats you want to throw in about who we played.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
winter.jpg

Winter is coming.

Hook 'em

stat link

Hook 'em
Oh, look... Heard and Johnny both did it versus Sonny...

We OU fans feel pretty good about Mayfield's 570+ yard performance last week too. Amazing performance. You cant fake that or call that kind of thing a fluke. Opposing fan bases say oh its just one game, dont expect him to be some amazing thing after just a game. I remember some texas fans harping on this board about Knight's one good game. So while it was impressive, i guess lets see what he does after 3-4 games under his belt, and against some pretty good defenses. Definitely a good start, helps to set a school record this early in the season/career. Mayfield is in the same boat, but it took him a whole 3 games while it took Heard just 2. Maybe they'll put our teams back on the roadmap to the playoff. Things sure were better back in 2008 when nobody wanted any part of either of us.

We get it, you looked up the stats for the past two years and they weren't great. And last year Texas' defense was one of the better ones in the Big 12, though this year that wouldn't be the case so far. So, yeah, it's not totally unimaginable that Cal's D might be a bit better... or a bit worse... than they were last year. Not easy to tell after just 3 games, especially given how those 3 games played out (with two softer opponents, but probably decent defensive stats, and one opponent that went crazy against them, who is venturing into uncharted waters with their OC, QB, and a host of other freshman players).

More than two seasons, for the past 4 seasons, showing a trend. One season does not a trend make, but clearly they are trending down and have been doing that every year for the past 4 seasons. Good news for them is they pretty much can not get any worse contrasted to the rest of the country. So yeah they could improve, maybe this season theyre 105th instead of 123rd.

On the flip side, our QB set the school's record for total offense. Not "the school's record for total offense against moderate Pac-12 schools". That includes games with Colt or Vince and includes games against Sun Belt and C-USA competition! (I'd say FCS competition, but we've only played one of those games since that or 1-AA were the way things were categorized). That's a pretty big deal. Whatever Cal's defense does this year, they're certainly not our weakest opponent of all time, either as far as keeping the ball away from us on offense, or by trying to stop us on defense. If it's not clear why that suggests that UT has made a significant improvement to our offense, even with stingier defenses looming, I don't know what to tell you.

Which is wonderful, we OU fans know all about a qb setting a school record for yards early in his career. Id like to see what both guys do against good qbs. Will heard come back down to earth when they face an actual almost decent defense this weekend? Only one way to find out!

And as far as "what was his weakness" that kept him out (for 1 game of his RS freshman season)... what are you even talking about here?

There are all sorts of reasons this could have happened, even beyond Watson's decision-making. For one: experience. Is it always best to go with the more experienced player? No. But does it end up counting for something a lot in college football? Yes. Even on a team where the policy is "if the senior and the freshman play similarly, the freshman gets the start", you're talking about game 1. Ever. As a college football player in a major conference. Game 1. On the road. At Notre Dame. Even if you had all the faith in the world in a player (and I'm sure that wasn't totally the case with Heard at that point), I mean, we've seen what can happen. UT fans lived through Gilbert's first game ever being the NC game against Bama... and then the aftermath. Who knows if that's why he didn't work out, but could it have played a role in shaking his confidence? If Heard had be thrown out on the field against Notre Dame, maybe he would have played his heart out and made a game of it. But Notre Dame was a good team. There's a hefty chance that we still would have lost, and a scene where you make freshman mistakes, pay for them, and a stadium full of fans keep reminding you of them...? There's every possibility that sticks with you. I mean, our kicker who has a pretty good record, missed ONE PAT and the coach stayed up with him to talk him through the situation because, yeah, these are kids. Things CAN stick with them and get in their head. @ Notre Dame, game 1, could have done that.

And heck, let's look back at one of UT's best QBs ever. Vince Young was a pretty good QB, I think you'd admit, right? Chance Mock wasn't horrible, but let's face it... one is remembered by every college football fan in the world, and the other a lot of people wouldn't know who he is. Chance Mock was the starter to begin the year when VY was a redshirt freshman. He won some games, he lost some games. And in that case the decision to start VY from time to time (or to sub him in in some games) wasn't nearly as decisive as Heard being set as the starter now sounds. Now, I cringed when I saw the other thread on this board that suggested that "we've found the next VY" or whatever it was. Let's see him win some big games before we start with that kind of talk. But my point isn't that Heard = VY. My point is... sometimes the better QB isn't decided until you've seen him play in games. And sometimes, even when the answer ends up being ridiculously obvious later, it wasn't as obvious to the coaches (or even some of the fans) at the time.

We'll all see how it actually plays out, starting this Saturday, but arguing that the way this game played out wasn't a big deal (and sounding as ridiculously overconfident about it like you do because of Cal's past defensive stats and Heard not having been given the first start of the year) seems like it lacks the context of reality when it comes to college football.

Well, he redshirted last year, so he was practicing and they got to see what he's all about for a year. They know what they had with swoopes, which wasnt getting them anywhere. And they had a whole offseason of practice, workouts, camps etc to assess the skill and readiness for heard as compared to swoopes, who, again, they know wasnt doing it for them. They ended up going with swoopes anyway. So that's what i'm talking about- what was holding him back from being the guy out of the gate game 1 ? I doubt he suddenly just got good in a few week time frame. Maybe its one of your suggestions, but that was my legit question, not meant to go after him or ask a stupid question. I was legit curious because it appears he's clearly better from my non-football-coach eyes yet wasnt on the field when he could have been. If strong is smart they'll let him play out of inevitable funks or bad plays/games that all young players have. QBs hate looking over their shoulder and being too afraid to make mistakes because it might get you benched.

More than two seasons, for the past 4 seasons, showing a trend. One season does not a trend make, but clearly they are trending down and have been doing that every year for the past 4 seasons. Good news for them is they pretty much can not get any worse contrasted to the rest of the country. So yeah they could improve, maybe this season theyre 105th instead of 123rd.

They trashed their coaching staff and started over 2 years ago so I'm not sure how relevant the previous stuff is going into Dykes' 3rd year.

Well, he redshirted last year, so he was practicing and they got to see what he's all about for a year. They know what they had with swoopes, which wasnt getting them anywhere. And they had a whole offseason of practice, workouts, camps etc to assess the skill and readiness for heard as compared to swoopes, who, again, they know wasnt doing it for them. They ended up going with swoopes anyway. So that's what i'm talking about- what was holding him back from being the guy out of the gate game 1 ? I doubt he suddenly just got good in a few week time frame. Maybe its one of your suggestions, but that was my legit question, not meant to go after him or ask a stupid question. I was legit curious because it appears he's clearly better from my non-football-coach eyes yet wasnt on the field when he could have been. If strong is smart they'll let him play out of inevitable funks or bad plays/games that all young players have. QBs hate looking over their shoulder and being too afraid to make mistakes because it might get you benched.

As I pointed out, VY redshirted his freshman year too. And Chance Mock started the next year. And then they swapped back and forth throughout a lot of the season. VY was ultimately the right choice, right? But I mean, I'm not hearing much as far as "back and forth" right now. It sounds like it's pretty solidly Heard's team for the season now. That's stronger confidence than Vince Young got. And I'd imagine there are numerous examples of that kind of situation. I just go back to the one that I know the most about.

And yes, "playing out of ... funks" and not having to "[look] over [his] shoulder" and all that is fine. Doesn't change the fact that a 18 or 19 year old starting his very first game at QB on the road against a highly ranked Notre Dame team is a hugely different situation than, say, if we started the season at home against UNT, NMSU, or Akron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT