Question for Insiders, and nerds(analytics, RFID)

BSEE84Horn

Time to get serious...
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2014
Austin, Texas
Do UT players wear any sort of tracking devices(RFID, GPS) that they use for field positioning or fitness tracking?

The "Arch was clocked at 6372 mph!!" stuff has prompted me to do a deep dive into the analytics provider that arrived at that number and it appears to be a company called "Reel Analytics" and they mention in their whitepaper that they use multiple different technologies from camera tracking to RFID and GPS. I've already seen the "Next Gen Stats" the NFL uses RFID chips on balls, wearables(wristbands, T shirts, etc.), and other areas to do their data collection, and was wondering if Sark was ahead of the curve, or if they are using ESPN camera data to inform that miles per hour number. It seems to me, with someone with very limited info of all the specific tech involved, that having AI look at camera data with all the post processing and movement and other variables would lead to less accurate times. Reel admits in their whitepaper(linked below) that they are about 95% accurate within a foot on some of the camera systems they mentioned... 5% isnt peanuts

Not flaming or hating on Arch at all, but it seems somewhat absurd on its face that he is faster than Tyreek hill. Apologies for cluttering the board, I asked Such in the other thread and got no response.
-s

Next Gen Stats(Link)
Reel Analytics(link)
Reel Analytics(Whitpaper)

-265db3a386841fe8_custom_665xauto_original.jpg

player01_original.png
LOSANGELESTEMPTATION-lfl_original.jpg

Reactions: doc2rouge

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.