ADVERTISEMENT

Questions about Big XII defenses

It's always a good discussion.
...any time it's about conferences and not individual team accomplishments. Because that's all the aggys have.

...and that is where I find the Big 12 coming up short.
claude-rains-07.jpg

My grandma was hot back in the day too..... ;)
What in 2005?

At least we've won national titles in the big sports in our lifetimes. Multiple major national championships. You haven't and won't ever. All you have is "my conference is better than yours" because you can't accomplish anything on your own. Fact. All you have to do to gather aggys is start a thread about conference strength. Because it's all you have.

Reactions: swVAHorn
I'm just jacking with y'all. Funny how threads always devolve back to the same thing. Kinda like an Orangebloods Godwins Law. :)

As you were....

Just making fun of aggys and their conference talk. Talking about conference strength is the favorite aggy pastime. That and talking down the Big XII even though you only won it once in 16 years.

Absolutely. The year RG3 won the Heisman, his 40+ td passes AVERAGED OVER 35 YARDS PER PLAY. No cheapie fade routes from the 3 yard line.

That makes it sound like there were a bunch of deep passes whereas many were quick 3 yard screens taken to the house by the receivers.

You'll have to define what a championship caliber defense is? If it's one that wins a championship, only one team at the end of the year can boast that they have one of those.

Clemson. They had 11 trained killers on their defense and that's rare. Look at what they did in the second half against Oklahoma. And Oklahoma had the best offense in the Big XII last year.

Clemson. They had 11 trained killers on their defense and that's rare. Look at what they did in the second half against Oklahoma. And Oklahoma had the best offense in the Big XII last year.

Baylor had the best O until the plague hit their QBs. OU got lucky with Baylor QB injuries and Boykin's injury. I don't think OU was the best Big 12 team last year they just had the chips fall their way.

Reactions: Texxxxas
True. Because do nothings flap their gums.

Scholz, you got us off again. I didn't mention 1 thing about A&M and you find a way to derail it. It's true what I said. Yes, the Big 12 offenses will score against Big 12 offenses and they will score against other conferences as well. The only difference is that when faced with a really physical defense that isn't afraid to press the receivers to throw off timing they tend to lose to those teams. Those teams get some stops and then they slow the game down. A great running team is just as effective as a sling it around Big 12 team is at controlling the game and wearing the other defense down. This has nothing to do with A&M, it's about the different styles of play.

Last edited:
That makes it sound like there were a bunch of deep passes whereas many were quick 3 yard screens taken to the house by the receivers.
There were plenty of both - bombs and short pass/breakaways. But both lead to your point - spread the defense out, put track guys at wide receiver, and all it takes is one small mistake to lead to a big play.

I didn't mention 1 thing about A&M.
Because you can't. That's why you constantly suck off your conference mates that whip you and talk down the Big XII that you couldn't win. Go get your pom poms.

Reactions: swVAHorn
Because you can't. That's why you constantly suck off your conference mates that whip you and talk down the Big XII that you couldn't win. Go get your pom poms.
Use Michigan St then when they played the high flying Baylor. Use Clemson when they played OU. They got stops because they have great athletes on the defensive side of the ball that could match the speed of the Big 12. Use anyone you want. I use the SEC because their defenses are typically as strong as it gets according to everyone else not named Scholz. It's not sucking on them, it's a fact before A&M was associated with the conference.

Baylor put up 41 on MichSt. Baylor's defense was the issue. Mayfield getting concussed tackling after a turnover is how Clemson shutdown OU. As we are all aware OU under Stoops as a glass jaw.

Baylor put up 41 on MichSt. Baylor's defense was the issue. Mayfield getting concussed tackling after a turnover is how Clemson shutdown OU. As we are all aware OU under Stoops as a glass jaw.

I'm going to have to disagree with Mayfield's concussion as the reason Clemson shut down OU in the 2nd half. Mayfield was injured late in the 4th quarter when the game was out of reach. Clemson absolutely locked down OU pretty much the entire game. If not for an absolute garbage PI call on their first possession, OU wouldn't have even scored on their opening drive. I personally believe Clemson was the best overall team in the country even though they don't have the championship to show for it.

Reactions: outhereincali
Use Michigan St then when they played the high flying Baylor.
Michigan St. "held" Baylor to 603 yards passing, an ALL TIME NCAA BOWL RECORD!!!

The only difference is that when faced with a really physical defense that isn't afraid to press the receivers to throw off timing they tend to lose to those teams. You need to find another example besides BU/Michigan State.

There are plenty of examples of teams stopping high powered offenses. It all starts up front. There is no offense that works well when the opposing team's DL dominates the LOS

Michigan St. "held" Baylor to 603 yards passing, an ALL TIME NCAA BOWL RECORD!!!

The only difference is that when faced with a really physical defense that isn't afraid to press the receivers to throw off timing they tend to lose to those teams. You need to find another example besides BU/Michigan State.
Shhhhhh....it is an aggy you know? They do not use common sense or logic.

Reactions: diadevic
I'm going to have to disagree with Mayfield's concussion as the reason Clemson shut down OU in the 2nd half. Mayfield was injured late in the 4th quarter when the game was out of reach. Clemson absolutely locked down OU pretty much the entire game. If not for an absolute garbage PI call on their first possession, OU wouldn't have even scored on their opening drive. I personally believe Clemson was the best overall team in the country even though they don't have the championship to show for it.

I agree and if it wasn't for an incredible onside kick the Tiers would have beaten Bama. Imho, DeShawn Watson, not Mccafrey, or Fournette should be the Heisman favorite going into the season.

I agree and if it wasn't for an incredible onside kick the Tiers would have beaten Bama. Imho, DeShawn Watson, not Mccafrey, or Fournette should be the Heisman favorite going into the season.
As a Bama graduate and lifelong fan, I have no problem stating my opinion that Clemson was the best team in the country. I think Saban knew it too, that's why he called for the onside kick when the game was tied. I've never seen Saban take a gamble like that in that big of a moment.

Clemson had one glaring weakness, special teams. We exposed that, and unfortunately for them that weakness cost them a national title. Derrick Henry is one of my all time favorite Bama players, but if the Heisman is supposed to go to the "Most Outstanding Player" in college football, that guy was Deshaun Watson.

As a Bama graduate and lifelong fan, I have no problem stating my opinion that Clemson was the best team in the country. I think Saban knew it too, that's why he called for the onside kick when the game was tied. I've never seen Saban take a gamble like that in that big of a moment.

Clemson had one glaring weakness, special teams. We exposed that, and unfortunately for them that weakness cost them a national title. Derrick Henry is one of my all time favorite Bama players, but if the Heisman is supposed to go to the "Most Outstanding Player" in college football, that guy was Deshaun Watson.
I agree about the Heisman to Watson. It sucks that the Heisman does not go to the best player in college football like it is supposed to. It goes to the best player on the highest ranked team usually. If you take Henry off that Bama team they are nearly exactly the same. Take Watson off Clemson and Clemson is not the close to the same team as they were.

If you take Henry off that Bama team they are nearly exactly the same. Take Watson off Clemson and Clemson is not the close to the same team as they were.
Well to me that's more of a most valuable player- as far as value goes Watson was 1000x more valuable to clemson than Henry was to bama. But as far as how good each guy is? Hey Henry had a pretty bad ass season in his own right. And he's a freak of nature rushing for 2200 yards, and most of that against good defense in the sec and clemson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT