ADVERTISEMENT

Quinn a Day 3 Pick???

jqm622

Gold Member
May 11, 2016
ESPN "draft analyst" Jordan Reid says he's hearing QE has a late Day 2/early Day 3 grade from most scouts - but also has him at 12% to go 1st overall.

That's crazy to me. I don't see any way (barring injury or getting Pipp'd) that he falls out of the first, especially with guys like Bo Nix going in the top 15.

He also has Kelvin Banks at 6% to be the top pick, which seems about right.

Relevant parts:

Quinn Ewers, QB, Texas​

Predicted chance of going No. 1: 12%

Why he could be the top pick: Ewers came to Texas in 2022 with massive expectations and immediately took the starter reins. But an inconsistent 2023 season leaves him with a murky draft projection.

He closed last season with 3,479 passing yards, 22 touchdown throws and 6 interceptions. He's an on-time and in-rhythm passer who can be a bit streaky, but he has a good arm and operates Steve Sarkisian's offense well as a true distributor. We saw Ewers at his best in a crucial road win against Alabama. But on the flip side, the first half of the Oklahoma game exposed his flaws (even though he finished with 19 straight completions). I'd like to see him tighten up his decision-making and mechanics.

We've seen Sarkisian develop passers such as Tua Tagovailoa (2020) and Mac Jones (2021) into eventual first-round picks. And Ewers could be next, even pushing for top-pick status if he has a big third season. He will have to adjust to new playmakers around him, though, following the loss of his top four guys in Xavier Worthy, Adonai Mitchell, Ja'Tavion Sanders and Jonathon Brooks. (Transfer receiver Isaiah Bond should help.)

I'm hearing primarily late-Day 2 or even early-Day 3 grades from scouts right now, but it's early. And considering he's my QB3, he has to be in consideration for the top pick if he can piece together a really good prove-it season. The decision to return to school was the right one for Ewers, and he now gains another year of needed experience and tries to build on his positive moments shown last season.

_end_rule.png

POTENTIAL RISERS​

i

Kelvin Banks Jr., OT, Texas​

Predicted chance of going No. 1: 6%

Why he could be the top pick: Banks has been one of the more consistent linemen in the country. As the starter at left tackle since arriving on campus (1,788 total snaps), he has allowed only two sacks across two seasons.

At 6-foot-4 and 324 pounds, Banks is an overwhelming run-blocker, but it's his movement skills that really set him apart from his counterparts in this class. His light feet can be a positive or a negative, though; while it allows him to stick on pass-rushers, he too often attempts to out-finess the opposition rather than trusting his technique. That gets him into trouble against more polished edge rushers.

Texas hasn't had an offensive lineman drafted in the first round since Leonard Davis (2001) and Mike Williams (2002) were drafted in back-to-back years more than two decades ago. Both were top-five picks, but Banks has a chance to go even earlier.

• Haha
Reactions: Horn19
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News