ADVERTISEMENT

Recently finished the book "Showtime"

westx

Dec 6, 2009
Just finished reading Showtime. I am not really a Lakers fan, but have respect for that franchise. The author Jeff Pearlman did a good job. It started out with Jack Kent Cooke who was a world class jerk. Nonetheless, he brought the team to LA. It explained the transition from Cooke to Buss. Some of the funny/interesting things were stories of how Jerry Tarkanian was almost the coach before his agent was found murdered in a car in a hotel garage. Then from Coach McKinney and his freak accident to Paul Westhead's short tenure before his firing which led to a very awkward press conference of Co-Head coaches-Pat Riley/Jerry West. One of the funny stories was about the Laker's dumbest player named Mark Landsberger. This guy was asked by a kid to sign his name and number as an autograph. After thinking about it and not really understanding he went ahead and did it. Only problem was that he signed his name and PHONE number. Another time he asked Riley if there were any Rebounding plays. It talked a lot about the sex and drugs and some of the horrific flops in the draft. I didin't think the author did a great job on how he described the games, but, not too bad. It went into detail on Jabbar's dislike/distrust of fans. He was probably more of a jerk than he had to be, but, I can understand as he received a lot crap though out his years. It talked about the Lakers/Celtics series and into the Detroit Pistons series. The book ends upon Magic's unfortunate AIDS infliction.

Last edited:
You mean he didn't talk about Wilt bedding over 10,000 women?

I did the math on that one day-- there's no freaking way he did that. No possible way.

I did the math on that one day-- there's no freaking way he did that. No possible way.

Actually the number was 20,000. The man was ridiculed and abused by people for the rest of his life.

Just finished reading Showtime. I am not really a Lakers funa. The author Jeff Pearlman did a good job. It started out with Jack Kent Cooke who was a world class jerk. Nonetheless, he brought the team to LA. It explained the transition from Cooke to Buss. Some of the funny/interesting things were stories of how Jerry Tarkanian was almost the coach before his agent was found murdered in a car in a hotel garage. Then from Coach McKinney and his freak accident to Paul Westhead's short tenure before his firing which led to a very awkward press conference of Co-Head coaches-Pat Riley/Jerry West. One of the funny stories was about the Laker's dumbest player named Mark Landserberger. This guy was asked by a kid to sign his name and number as an autograph. After thinking about it and not really understanding he went ahead and did it. Only problem was that he signed his name and PHONE number. Another time he asked Riley if there were any Rebounding plays. It talked a lot about the sex and drugs and some of the horrific flops in the draft. I didin't think the author did a great job on how he described the games, but, not too bad. It went into detail on Jabbar's dislike/distrust of fans. He wasI probably more of a jerk than he had to be, but, I can understand as he receieved a lot crap thoughout his years. It talked about the Lakers/Celtics series and into the Detroit Pistons series. The book ends upon Magics unfortunate AIDS infliction.

From what I've read Kareem was even overbearingly arrogant towards his teammates. They didn't dare tease him or talk to him about anything other than girls and basketball. The only people that he were close to him were Luscious Allen and John Wooden. He's a bright, articulate, well learned man, graduated with honors. But they said he was jealous of Magic. Kareem played at UCLA and had been on the Lakers for awhile when Magic came along. Even though he was Midwestern kid LA became Magic's town from day one and Kareem resented it. He's written some well received books and there was an interesting documentary about him on HBO last year. But they say that even now he won't shake a reporters hand. I think he wanted to read in the papers that people said he was the greatest player in NBA history. But whereas MJ played the game with reporters, Kareem did not. Recently they announced that they were going to build a statue of Magic outside the Staples center. Kareem got mad and went public about why weren't they dedicating a statue of him. He's never been loved in LA like Magic has liked yes, loved no.He's one of the few people in NBA history whose career is equal to Michael Jordan. He can match him for titles won, he won more MVP's, and is the leading scorer in NBA history. But like Magic, MJ is loved by people everywhere and that's why almost no one will give Kareem that kind of respect in regards to MJ. And he's finally faced that fact.

Oh and Jerry Buss. From what I've read he was a Hugh Hefner of sorts, a real mac daddy. Did they talk about it? Is it true?

The book focused on Showtime era. Some historical things pre-Magic/Kareem. The meat of it was upon Kareem and Magic's arrival. The Forum Club inside The Forum was something I would have loved to have seen. Beautiful women only.

Last edited:
BTW, my apologies to all for the error filled OP. I have corrected it. I am embarrassed to say that there wasn't even any beer or wine involved.

From what I've read Kareem was even overbearingly arrogant towards his teammates.
I didn't gather that he was arrogant towards his teammates, but, he was his own man that didn't necessarily go along with everything. I am not saying you are wrong, it is just the way I understood it. I don't know where to begin, but, there is a lot more than meets the eye in the shaping of Kareem. He was a cerebral man and thus, he analyzed everything. He was unbelievably betrayed by a coach with whom he had a good relationship, which is thought to have left a scar and distrust of other people, mainly white people. He had also felt like a sideshow due to his size. Just walking around caused people to stop, point and stare and it made him uncomfortable and annoyed. I guess he became numb to it. I don't respect how he would tell kids or others to piss off or whatever, because it wasn't their fault. But, I can understand how he could become cold and bitter and isolate himself as a way of protection. The book went into detail towards the end about him seeking a farewell season full of love and adulation. However, the many years of blowing off the reporters and fans unfortunately took its toll.

I think it would be a mistake by the Lakers to only put a statue of Magic. Kareem is worthy and I think it would be pretty cool to have both of them. Heck, that should be a no brainer. Texas has Ricky, Earl and DKR.

I didn't gather that he was arrogant towards his teammates, but, he was his own man that didn't necessarily go along with everything. I am not saying you are wrong, it is just the way I understood it. I don't know where to begin, but, there is a lot more than meets the eye in the shaping of Kareem. He was a cerebral man and thus, he analyzed everything. He was unbelievably betrayed by a coach with whom he had a good relationship, which is thought to have left a scar and distrust of other people, mainly white people. He had also felt like a sideshow due to his size. Just walking around caused people to stop, point and stare and it made him uncomfortable and annoyed. I guess he became numb to it. I don't respect how he would tell kids or others to piss off or whatever, because it wasn't their fault. But, I can understand how he could become cold and bitter and isolate himself as a way of protection. The book went into detail towards the end about him seeking a farewell season full of love and adulation. However, the many years of blowing off the reporters and fans unfortunately took its toll.

I think it would be a mistake by the Lakers to only put a statue of Magic. Kareem is worthy and I think it would be pretty cool to have both of them. Heck, that should be a no brainer. Texas has Ricky, Earl and DKR.

I remember his farewell season. I mean the man got some lavish gifts not just in LA but other towns as well. Tell me more about that. I thought there was something wrong with that.

I remember his farewell season. I mean the man got some lavish gifts not just in LA but other towns as well. Tell me more about that. I thought there was something wrong with that.
His team got him a white '89 Rolls Royce, Buss got him a tennis court and he received a lot of trips, HarleyDavidson, cars.., He did his farewell tour the year after Dr. J. However, everybody loved Dr J. The league apparently made sure everybody was on board to provide honor and tribute to Kareem, but, many did so grudgingly.

I didn't watch NBA during the 80s. I can't believe what I missed. After reading the book, I have been wanting to learn more about the Lakers. I have been on Youtube checking out old games. It is pretty time consuming and so it is a slow process. I came across a documentary produced in 2010 by HBO. It is called Magic & Bird: A courtship of Rivals. It is a fantastic program even better than the 30 for 30 series. The Lakers and Celtics rivalry is so special because there were championships involved. However, having Magic and Bird involved they way it happened made it all the more special. I know I am very late to the game, but, if anybody hasn't seen that documentary, I highly recommend it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT