ADVERTISEMENT

Shogun - A Different Take

SanSabaHorn

‘Til Gabriel Blows His Horn!
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Seems like most folks on OB really enjoyed the new 10 part Shogun series. Although I respect that from the youngs, it didn’t get there for me. Not one bit. The 1980 mini series was far superior. A few reasons for my take:
1) The James Clavell book, one of my favorites, was a masterpiece. The new release was way too far from the book. Don’t screw up perfection.
2) The Blackthorn character in the new release was unbelievable. His motivations were way off. His actions weren’t consistent with the revised plot line. The last scene where he said that he was throwing crap on Toranaga-sama was just dumb.
3) The cinematography was over baked. Askew, blurred backgrounds made it look like it was trying to be 300.
4) The original Mariko-san was far superior in character and looks. Maybe it was because Yoko Shimada was in my spank bank for half a decade, but the new actress was only so so.
5) Finally, Yabu-san in the book and 1980 series was a bad @ss. There was absolutely no reason to screw up his character as badly as it was. Uncalled for really.

Glad most of y’all enjoyed it but you really should read the book and take a look at the better tv series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News