ADVERTISEMENT

Steelmanning for Kansas

Jaredg1987

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2022
I have spent some time thinking about a few different things - that if if any of them, or a few of them were to happen on Saturday, could make things interesting.

1. Quinn has been better this year but the pass game as a whole has been inconsistent at times.
Because of this is would imagine that Kansas will try to stop the run. Kansas best defensive strategy, if they can slow down the run game, would be to hope that Quinn and the Texas passing game are "off" on Saturday.
I say this because the opposite wouldn't make any sense. Kansas would never try to stop the passing game and just "hope" the Texas run game won't be good.

2. Texas has still not been good in the redZone.
If we are settling for field goals or coming up empty handed, this could keep or make things closer than they need to be. Some of these struggles have been "questionable" play calling by Sark, which will be number 3.

3. Even though he has been much better this year, there are still times where Sarks playcalling hasnt been very good. Alot like QE's up and down play, Sark is absolutely capable of having a random bad game.

4. Texas is leaving too many points on the field. In multiple games this year we have left 2-3 tds on field due to stupid mistakes, missed blocks, drops, and even bad situational play calling.

5. Even though this is completely normal for every team, especially early in the season, it seems like most of our units have had their turn this season where they played bad. O-Line at Rice, Offense at Wyoming, Special Teams at Baylor.
Even the the secondary has had several busts, but the defense as a whole hasnt had many, if any bad quarters.
Is the defensive unit, which includes a secondary that hasn't been tested due for a bad game?

6. We haven't played well at home.

7. A bit of a wild card, but this is our first consequential Big 12 game, is this were we find out of the "fix" is in by Big 12 officiating?

8. Are we looking ahead to OU? I do not believe this is likely, but it's not like it isn't possible.

9. Our passing defense really hasn't been tested yet, and so I'm not really sure how good it is. Thompson and Crawford are both allowing 80% completion rates. Catalon is above 50%.
The thing we have going for us is that we have been much better at getting to the QB and containing the QB then we have been in years.
I guess my question for the game is how well do we hold up in the back end during scramble drill against Daniels.

*If there is anything anyone would like to add, please do so.

Jay Lee

Reactions: westx
Friday Elmo GIF

I have spent some time thinking about a few different things - that if if any of them, or a few of them were to happen on Saturday, could make things interesting.

1. Quinn has been better this year but the pass game as a whole has been inconsistent at times.
Because of this is would imagine that Kansas will try to stop the run. Kansas best defensive strategy, if they can slow down the run game, would be to hope that Quinn and the Texas passing game are "off" on Saturday.
I say this because the opposite wouldn't make any sense. Kansas would never try to stop the passing game and just "hope" the Texas run game won't be good.

If we are settling for field goals or coming up empty handed, this could keep or make things closer than they need to be. Some of these struggles have been "questionable" play calling by Sark, which will be number 3.

3. Even though he has been much better this year, there are still times where Sarks playcalling hasnt been very good. Alot like QE's up and down play, Sark is absolutely capable of having a random bad game.

4. Texas is leaving too many points on the field. In multiple games this year we have left 2-3 tds on field due to stupid mistakes, missed blocks, drops, and even bad situational play calling.

5. Even though this is completely normal for every team, especially early in the season, it seems like most of our units have had their turn this season where they played bad. O-Line at Rice, Offense at Wyoming, Special Teams at Baylor.
Even the the secondary has had several busts, but the defense as a whole hasnt had many, if any bad quarters.
Is the defensive unit, which includes a secondary that hasn't been tested due for a bad game?

7. A bit of a wild card, but this is our first consequential Big 12 game, is this were we find out of the "fix" is in by Big 12 officiating?

8. Are we looking ahead to OU? I do not believe this is likely, but it's not like it isn't possible.

9. Our passing defense really hasn't been tested yet, and so I'm not really sure how good it is. Thompson and Crawford are both allowing 80% completion rates. Catalon is above 50%.
The thing we have going for us is that we have been much better at getting to the QB and containing the QB then we have been in years.
I guess my question for the game is how well do we hold up in the back end during scramble drill against Daniels.

Jay Lee
I think our short pass game absolutely destroys them . Finally a complete game at home !

It's hard not to look ahead to the gooners.

This is a team that still doesn't know how to win consistently. We can get up for a big game but also play down to the level of our opponent.
Thus far-- we've managed to yank our head out of our asses against lesser opponents in order to pull away in the 2nd half-- but that sort of play is a sign of maturity-- and LACK of maturity.
Mature teams drop 14 points on you in the 1st- 21 on you in the 2nd- close you out with a quick TD in the 3rd, and then go relax and stay healthy on the bench.
We ain't there yet.

So is Kansas a possible trap game? Fvck ya it is.
So we get to see if we have hair on our nuts yet or if we get to enjoy the roller coaster for several more weeks.

Reactions: westx and DHHorn
I think our defense is mature and will show up, especially the DL. Our offense seems to get a little relaxed and lazy at times, basically takes on the personality of Ewers. He needs to be focused right off the bat and take it to them from the start, if he does that the rest will fall in line.

I saw some stats that show how Ewers plays better on the road or in big games. Maybe our home locker room and accommodations are too comfortable pre game and he doesn't get the edge like he does on the road. Need to send about a 50 opposing fans and put them outside the locker room to throw horns down at our guys before the home games to get them pissed off.

I keep waiting and hoping for that breakout game where we just mudhole somebody. I said last week if we got that against bailer we had a good chance to run the table, but we just didnt quite do it.

This game is somewhat different. Kansas is good. We need to impose our will and clean up those damned drops.

Reactions: echeese
All good/interesting points. Except No. 7. You have your built in excuse, why discuss anything else?

Jay Lee

Well done.

I'd add we are not good on 3rd down. Failing to sustain drives has lead to fewer points and the D being on hte field longer.

We ranked #92 in the nation. Kansas ranks #1 today. . . .expect to see that change on Monday

And can't restate the Red Zone TD scoring enough.

Well done.

I'd add we are not good on 3rd down. Failing to sustain drives has lead to fewer points and the D being on hte field longer.

We ranked #92 in the nation. Kansas ranks #1 today. . . .expect to see that change on Monday

And can't restate the Red Zone TD scoring enough.
It's almost like you've been reading my posts.

• Haha
Reactions: echeese
I keep waiting and hoping for that breakout game where we just mudhole somebody. I said last week if we got that against bailer we had a good chance to run the table, but we just didnt quite do it.

This game is somewhat different. Kansas is good. We need to impose our will and clean up those damned drops.

I'm good if we keep building week over week through our 15 game schedule.

It's almost like you've been reading my posts.

Indeed.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Kansas doesn't have the dudes or the depth on their offensive and defensive lines to hang with our guys. That's where this game is going to be won. That's the reason I predict a pretty comfortable win.

Also another stat of note, every time a team has gotten inside the red zone on Kansas this year, they have scored. In other words, if we get to the red zone, we are going to score.

Reactions: HornDrummer
Lombardi had a list that he put on the wall of the locker room. It wasnt so much a keys to winning type deal. It was more things that they, as a team, needed to do everytime.

Several thet I remember were...Fatigue makes cowards of us all....and Take away their hope early...

It isnt so hot as it was, but it will be PLENTY hot for those Kansas guys. We can keep rotating in fresh big Uglies but their unaclimated big guys do not have that kind of depth. If we can sustain some drives early and keep up the pressure, we will do great in the second half.

and I still want to get all over that taking away their hope early.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT