Superb Owl of Lies I - The Press v Team Trump

oninit

My Member is Well-Known
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2011
Earth. The planet, not the town.
www.cnn.com
@Ignatius J Reilly and I have agreed to go tit for tat on lies told by The Press regarding Team Trump verses lies told by members of Team Trump since the inauguration.

The Press shall consist of reputable news organizations (i.e. small time blogs don't count). I said nobody with less credibility than Fox News. Team Trump shall consist of major players of the Trump campaign and administration. Seb Gorka (who I recently learned was not a Nazi sympathizer. [freebie right there for the taking]) should be the low bar for major player on Team Trump.

Objections will be allowed on both sides and will have to be worked out in a dignified and respectful manner. Mistakes are kind of a gray area. If the press makes a mistake, realizes it and issues a retraction then I don't think that is a lie. On the other hand, if 5 members of Team Trump fail to disclose meetings with Russians on their security forms or in press interviews and later changes their story then I think that is a lie.

All lies will be worth one point, which was super dumb on my part because some of my lies are the kind of things that can land you in prison and the absolute worst of their lies will just get someone fired.

The game will go on forever, unless someone says Uncle, forgets to renew their OB subscription or my HFD kicks in and I stop posting. Worst case scenario someone loses by 1 point, so it shouldn't get too nasty.

(I kind of wrote all this based on the original conversation with Ignatius without any extra input from him/her. If they want to talk about the rules, we can.)

I started off with the Sean Spicer claim that the Trump inauguration was the largest in history. Ignatius countered with the MLK bust (while I classify this as a mistake, as a gesture of good faith and to get the game going, I won't object to this one and I even gave them home field advantage). I came back with the Jeff Sessions statement under oath that he never had communications with Russians.

The score is Team Trump: 2, The Press: 1 (like golf, a lower score is better)

Ignatius has countered with a CNN article with the headline of Comey Expected to Refute Trump.

I had to find the article on the Wayback Machine since CNN issued this update to the story:

CORRECTION AND UPDATE: This article was published before Comey released his prepared opening statement. The article and headline have been corrected to reflect that Comey does not directly dispute that Trump was told multiple times he was not under investigation in his prepared testimony released after this story was published.

I would say this is a mistake and a immediate retraction, but I won't fight too hard on this one because CNN's reporting was sloppy and they should have not put this absolute in their article...

Director James Comey will dispute President Donald Trump's blanket claim that he was told he was not under investigation multiple times, according to sources familiar with Comey's thinking.

...despite the headline containing the word expected and the original article making use of the word to describe what they think will happen. If they had put 'expected' in the above quoted text then I might have a stronger case.

TT: 2
TP: 2

First and 10 on the 20 (I will NEVER accept the 25 yard line as an acceptable place to spot the ball after a touchback**. Disagree? Fight me, but do it in another thread) and I'm gonna call this play:

*Super Bowl is a registered trademark, so I went with Superb Owl. Not my creation, but I don't think it is trademarked.

**touchback is flagged as a misspeled word. WTF Rivals? Is this Russia? Probably my browser's fault, TBH, but still, WTF? Un-American.

Last edited:

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.