ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Baseball hires Tulane’s David Pierce

madcow12

Jan 13, 2010
Texas has hired Tulane’s David Pierce to be its next baseball coach, according to multiple sources.

Pierce accepted the job on Wednesday morning — 31 days after Texas fired Augie Garrido on Memorial Day. Pierce, a Texas native who graduated from the University of Houston, becomes the program’s sixth head coach since Billy Disch took over in 1911.

Pierce, who is in his early 50s, has been a head coach for five seasons, and has taken his team to the NCAA tournament every year. Before coming to Tulane in 2015, he was the head coach at Sam Houston State for three years. Prior to then, he was Wayne Graham’s longtime assistant at Rice and over nine years served as both hitting coach and pitching coach.

This year, Pierce guided Tulane (41-21) to the American Athletic Conference regular season title and to the cusp of the top 10 nationally. In March, the Green Wave won a series at Texas, taking two of three games from the Longhorns.

Overall, Pierce’s record as a head coach is 197-109. The only blemish on his resume is lack of postseason success, as Pierce’s teams have never advanced beyond the regional tournament.

Texas interviewed with Pierce on June 18, but did not make him an offer for 11 more days. In all, Texas is believed to have reached out to roughly 10 candidates, including Texas Tech’s Tim Tadlock who on Wednesday decided to rebuff the Longhorns and stay in Lubbock.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
If he learned from Wayne Graham, he's legit. Welcome, Coach.

Kind of sad he doesn't have an adjective surname though. Strong, Smart and _____.

Excellent hire.

This is the guy I wanted after O'Connor, O'Sullivan, and McDonnell. Since we weren't going to reset the market in order to land any of these guys, we should have wrapped this hire up several weeks ago.

Excellent hire.

This is the guy I wanted after O'Connor, O'Sullivan, and McDonnell. Since we weren't going to reset the market in order to land any of these guys, we should have wrapped this hire up several weeks ago.
Was waiting on your take BRB. If you think he is an excellent hire then good enough for me. Does he have a good eye for talent? Is he a "small ball" coach?

Was waiting on your take BRB. If you think he is an excellent hire then good enough for me. Does he have a good eye for talent? Is he a "small ball" coach?

Same questions here. Inquiring minds would like to know.

I don't know much about the guy and would like to hear.

Reactions: swVAHorn
Question to the dudes--- how much of "other coaches not coming" do you think is contributed to our AD situation still being-------- not totally solidified? I like our current AD. He's a good man. But I don't think he's the long term hire that we need going forward. I think he's more of the "clean up" guy that fixes the messes that Patterson caused and rights the ship and steadied us for the future. Just my 2 cents.

Question to the dudes--- how much of "other coaches not coming" do you think is contributed to our AD situation still being-------- not totally solidified? I like our current AD. He's a good man. But I don't think he's the long term hire that we need going forward. I think he's more of the "clean up" guy that fixes the messes that Patterson caused and rights the ship and steadied us for the future. Just my 2 cents.
Clob, I think most of the "other coaches not coming" attributable to agents getting their clients paid.

Sorry for the slow response, swVA.

Pierce was Rice's ace recruiter from 2003-11 before he left for SHSU. He was the hitting coach on their 2003 national championship team and the pitching coach for the rest of his time there. He is extremely well-regarded in this state, and he will recruit very, very well.

He is definitely not a strict "small ball" coach. We'll see a more flexible offense with better hitting. His teams have excellent pitching year after year, and they are fundamentally very sound. He has only been a head coach for five years, but his teams have immediately improved at both stops, and they've kept getting better each year. Here are SHSU's RPI rankings in the four years before Pierce arrived: 76th, 68th, 196th, and 81st. In his three years at SHSU, his teams finished with RPI rankings of 50th, 39th, and 33rd. Tulane's RPI rankings in the four years before Pierce arrived were 79th, 63rd, 128th, and 148th. In his two years as head coach, his teams were 49th and 29th in RPI.

Like I said, I wanted O'Connor, O'Sullivan, or McDonnell the most, but I wanted Pierce next after that group. My biggest fear was that we were going to feel like we had to land some big-name program's coach just to save face and would end up making a disappointing hire just so we didn't have to humble ourselves by calling on Tulane's head coach. It seems like that's the approach Perrin took for a while in targeting Savage (two losing seasons in the last three at what is now the premier job in all of the West) and Casey (too old, wanted to give up coaching for an administrative job a few years ago). I'm very glad those hires didn't work out. This was a smart hire of a guy who projects very well at a big-time program.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx and swVAHorn

We need a real AD posthaste for a number of reasons, but I don't think Perrin's caretaker status (interim in everything but name) was much of a factor. The reason we didn't land any of the biggest fish is because we weren't willing to reset the market to land them.

Texas is one of the two best jobs in the sport (along with LSU), but coaches already succeeding at the highest levels elsewhere were never going fall over themselves to come here -- giving up near-lifetime job security at places they built from nothing and uprooting their families -- without a pay increase significantly above what their employers would offer to counter. We weren't willing to beat (or, in some cases, even match) the new offers that our job opening spurred ADs to make. There's not enough of an advantage to coaching here for any of those coaches to make the move in the absence of a meaningful pay increase.

Baseball is very different from football. Elite programs still get built from nothing in baseball (see Virginia, Vandy, Louisville, etc.). A coach doesn't need to be at one of a select few programs to make the CWS regularly and win national championships. (When's the last time you saw the equivalent of Coastal Carolina playing for a national championship in football?) People tend to forget that we more than doubled Augie's salary to get him to leave Fullerton.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
I wonder if we can pay him a little extra to change his name to "Pfierce."

Very minor adjustment. Not asking too much, I think.

Reactions: Bwilk55
I think the Pierce hire was a good hire, given the circumstances, but not a great hire. Time will tell.

Hook'em!

I think the Pierce hire was a good hire, given the circumstances, but not a great hire. Time will tell.

Hook'em!
MM, just remember, each of the coaches on the "preferred list" were not elite at their previous stops. Heck, 2 weren't even head coaches.

https://texas.rivals.com/news/what-are-they-saying-about-texas-hiring-david-pierce-

What are they saying about Texas hiring David Pierce?
Dustin McComas | Staff Writer

Before today, there were just four people that served as the head coach, if you don’t count the wartime years of 1943-1945, of the Texas baseball program since 1911. Early this morning, that number moved to five when Texas named Tulane head coach David Pierce as its next baseball coach.

“As a kid growing up in Texas, I dreamed of being a Longhorn and wearing the burnt orange," Pierce said in a Texas press release today. “Today that dream is coming true. I am truly honored and grateful to become a part of The University of Texas community and to serve as head baseball coach. Texas is second to no one. Just growing up, I was on the field when David Denny broke the doubles record at Texas. I played against a lot of the guys in the mid-'80s and just understood the tradition and the history and the expectation of being a Longhorn. I understand it's a position that's going to hold a lot of responsibility, and I'm ready to accept that.”

The 52-year-old coach arrives in Austin after two seasons as head coach at Tulane, and three prior to that as head coach at Sam Houston State. During his five years as a head coach, he won 40 or more games three times, and reached the NCAA postseason every season. Tulane missed postseason play the six seasons prior to Pierce’s arrival before the 2015 season. Pierce has been a part of 16-straight postseasons as an assistant (Houston 2001-2002, Rice 2003-2011) or head coach.

What is Texas getting in Pierce? We spoke to a group of people that would know.

Kendall Rogers, editor and national writer for D1Baseball.com, believes Texas landed a very good head coach, and one that will bring energy to the 40 Acres.

“For starters, I am thrilled for David Pierce. He’s a very good, and well-respected coach,” Rogers told Orangebloods.com. “He was a huge part of Rice’s dominance and a national title, and he has had success at both head coaching stops before this point. Pierce will be a passionate coach, and will do a very fine job at Texas.”

In a story published today by Rogers, a well-respected college baseball voice, acknowledged the hire by Texas won’t create the biggest splash, but reiterated his thoughts that the Longhorns made a good move locking up Pierce.

“While Pierce’s addition might not have all Texas alums buzzing, his hire is most certainly a good one,” he wrote, which you can read here. “He has established himself as a very good recruiter in the State of Texas, has done a great job as a pitching coach and proven himself to be a quality head coach and game manager.”

Speaking of Pierce’s prowess when it comes to pitching, a professional baseball scout that’s followed and interacted with Pierce for quite some time, who wished to speak under anonymity, feels like the new Texas head coach’s ability to coach pitchers is undervalued.

“He’s underrated as a pitching guy,” the scout said. “When he was at Rice, he helped Tony Cingrani (current Cincinnati Reds reliever and third-round pick out of Rice) change his arm action and Cingrani went from 87-90 MPH to 90-95 MPH.”

When Pierce was at Tulane, only two of the 10 pitchers that started five games or more finished the season with an ERA above 3.67.

Of course, Texas fans want to know about the offense. Pierce describes his approach as an energetic one that can create runs in a number of ways.

“I think Texas Baseball fans are going to be excited to see the energy and passion of our team, the will to go out and play as hard as we can and try to do things that represent both the university and the athletic department well,” stated Pierce today through Texas. “We'll look to run a high-paced offense that has the ability to score in multiple ways to go along with the pitching and defense that gives us a chance to win championships.”

This past season at Tulane, the Green Wave slugged .423 as a team with 66 homers and 101 doubles. It also swiped 55 bags (76 attempts), and bunted 34 times. Hunter Hope (from four in 2015 to 14 in 2016), Jake Willsey, (zero in 2015 to 10 in 2016), and Jake Rogers (zero in 2015 to seven in 2016) all dramatically increased their home run totals in 2016.

Infielder Stephen Alemais, who was just selected in the third round by the Pittsburgh Pirates, finished his career with back-to-back seasons above .300 at the plate after hitting just .241 his freshman year before Pierce’s arrival. In addition to Alemais, Rogers was also selected in the third round of this year’s MLB Draft. It marked the first time since 2010 Tulane had a player selected that high, and was the first time since 2005 that Tulane had two players selected in the fifth round or better.

At Sam Houston State, Pierce coached the school’s highest ever draft pick when Cody Dickson was selected in the fourth round.

“It’s a good hire. He has a track record of quick success and should have success there,” another professional scout told Orangebloods about Pierce. “Will be a fresh, confident voice. He has roots and connections in Texas, but is independent and will build a new culture, which is what is needed at Texas right now.”

Another scout that's been around the state of Texas and Pierce for years offered his take, and describes a calmness on the surface and the ability to press the right buttons with his player.

"Has a winning pedigree with a track record of turning programs around. Blue-collar, hard-nosed coach but fair; guys like playing for him. Gets good effort from his players not by lighting a fire beneath them, but by building a fire within," stated the scout. "He has a calmness about him on the field and the way he reacts; being in control gains confidence. That being said, he's sneaky fiery."

His roots and connections in Texas nearly allowed him to sign one of Texas’ most successful pitchers recently. Nathan Thornhill, a product of Cedar Park, recalls Pierce being the first coach from a big program to recruit him.

“Coach Pierce was the first coach from a big-time program to believe in me,” said Thornhill, a vital part of the 2014 Omaha team at Texas. “Had I not been from the Austin area and a man named Augie Garrido, I would've been pitching at Rice for Pierce. His personality is what stood out to me the most. He seemed calm, driven, confident, and knew how to win. He is what our program needs.”

Pierce and the man he’s following, legendary coach Augie Garrido, know each other well. The Rice-Texas rivalry was the rivalry in college baseball when Pierce was in Houston with the Owls and Garrido in Austin.

“I've played against Coach Gus' teams and I have coached against Coach Garrido's teams. Even back in '91 when I was at Rice and he was the head coach at Cal State Fullerton we crossed paths. Coach Garrido and I have become friends and have had some fierce competitions, especially in my days at Rice,” Pierce said today. “Both of those guys are so significant to the legacy of Texas Baseball, and I'm honored to have the opportunity to follow them and continue the tradition they've established.”

Garrido, now a Special Assistant to the Athletic Director at Texas, gave his stamp of approval.

“I’ve known Dave for quite a while, going back to when he was an assistant at Rice. He was great there, and as a head coach, he has turned two programs around quickly and done a tremendous job. Truly, I think he is a very fine choice for The University of Texas,” said Garrido, who won two national titles at Texas and five overall. “He takes great pride in his work. He’s knowledgeable and passionate about what he’s doing and who he’s doing it for. He’s a heart-and-soul Texan who will make every effort for this national championship-caliber program.”

Pierce will be introduced as the Texas head coach tomorrow at 11 a.m. during a news conference on the UT campus.

I have been watching the press conference introducing David Pierce as the HC. I am observing his demeanor and it is more serious and business like rather than a brash or electric personality. I like that trait. Augie was a fun type personality and there is nothing wrong with that, but, I like it because it gives me a feel that it is time to get serious and get to work.

I have been watching the press conference introducing David Pierce as the HC. I am observing his demeanor and it is more serious and business like rather than a brash or electric personality. I like that trait. Augie was a fun type personality and there is nothing wrong with that, but, I like it because it gives me a feel that it is time to get serious and get to work.
What's great about Pierce is he REALLY wants to be the head baseball coach at The University of Texas. Slow-talkin' Texan, indeed!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT