ADVERTISEMENT

Texas in the mix to land star-studded defensive duo

Cole Patterson

Gold Member
Jul 21, 2021
Fh5ofFPXoAI6Eca.jpeg

Duncanville is home to, arguably, the best defensive unit in the Lone Star State. The Panthers have athletes and high-level players on all three levels of the defense, making it extremely difficult for offenses to move the ball against them. It’s a big reason why Duncanville has a chance to win a state championship this winter.

Class of 2024 prospects Colin Simmons and Ka’Davion Dotson are among the biggest factors in Duncanville’s defensive success. Simmons, a five-star pass rusher, and Dotson, a four-star safety, hold numerous FBS offers and are major Texas Longhorns targets in next year’s recruiting cycle.

Simmons was on the 40 Acres for the Texas matchup against TCU earlier this month, and he came away impressed with how the Longhorns performed against the Horned Frogs’ offensive attack. He paid close attention to how defensive coordinator Pete Kwiatkowski utilized his personnel.

"The way they were using their linebackers and edges -- oh my God. They were eating that night. Going crazy," Simmons told OB. “It was a wild atmosphere. The defense showed me what I wanted to see. (DeMarvion Overshown) is the heart of the defense.”

Texas has long been towards the top of contenders for the five-star defensive end. The Longhorns must continue their approach as they look to land the blue chip pass rusher in 2024.

“Just keep on recruiting me and coming after me,” Simmons said about what the Longhorns need to do. “Show me love every day. They’ll forever be in my heart.”

Simmons’ teammate, Dotson, was not in Austin for the top-25 showdown, but he watched from his house in the Metroplex and remains in consistent communication with the Texas staff. He likes what he has seen from the Texas defense this fall.

Dotson is being primarily recruited by safeties coach Blake Gideon. The two have built a relationship that Dotson speaks highly of. Gideon is pushing the right buttons as Texas attempts to keep the four-star in the state.

“Coach Gideon is my dog. He's a legend. I'd love to be coached by him," Dotson told OB. “I feel like Texas has a different culture (than his other contenders).”

The Rivals100 safety is planning to release an official top list of schools in the coming weeks as the Panthers look to reach AT&T Stadium in December. Texas is battling the likes of Arkansas, Oregon, and LSU for the four-star.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News