The Sunday Pulpit: 5 reasons why Sonny Cumbie should take the Texas job if offered

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Orangebloods%20Sig_zps2mho4gss.jpg

Check 'em out at texasbootcompany.com
Texas coach Charlie Strong needs to ask Sonny Cumbie three questions during their conversation on Sunday.

When can you start?

Do you need help packing?

Do you like beans in your chili?

However, Longhorn fans on Orangebloods want to know the answer to one important question.

Even if Cumbie does like beans in his chili, which is just weird, some Longhorn fans want to know why would any coach want to leave his current job for Texas, a program that could experience a massive overhaul if the football team does not win next season. On the surface, it seemingly makes more sense to take a job at a school with more stability, but I disagree with that belief.

Here are five reasons why Cumbie should take the Texas job if offered:

1. Show me the money: Let us start with the most obvious benefit for Cumbie, which is money. It's easy to say money is not everything until somebody puts a lot of cash in your face. If the new offensive coordinator is going to earn $1 million a year, that is enough money to make anyone have a Dr. Evil grin. If Cumbie receives a two-year deal and the entire staff is fired after next season, earning $1 million in 2017 not to coach is better than most severance packages. If Texas wins with Cumbie, he will collect those huge paychecks until he lands a head coaching position at another school.

By the way, having an assistant coach who may be in the program for only a few years is not a bad thing. As I wrote in a previous column, former Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Tony Dungy once told me the sign of a healthy staff is one where assistant coaches become coordinators and coordinators become head coaches. He always wanted coaches who were eager to move up, and Cumbie is a guy who will come into Texas with a lot of motivation, which would be a great addition.

2. Gets out of Meacham's shadow: Right now, TCU co-offensive coordinator Doug Meacham calls the plays, and he was a finalist for the North Texas job. Meacham will always receive the credit for TCU’s success, as long as he remains with the program. Meanwhile, Cumbie will be Robin to the program’s Batman, which is cool if you do not mind riding in a motorcycle sidecar. If Cumbie wants to create his own legacy, he has to leave TCU.

Sure, Cumbie can wait-and-see what happens with Meacham, but what if TCU takes a step back in 2016? Meacham will not be as attractive to some schools, which means Cumbie’s stock will take a hit, too. This is the perfect opportunity for Cumbie to prove his play-calling abilities, plus demonstrate how he can turn around an offensive unit. Very few assistant coaches are given the head coaching position at a program coming off a winning season. Most are asked to rebuild a program that has been losing for years, and if Cumbie can turn around Texas’ offense, he will be more appealing to future employers.

1229%20Cumbie.JPG

Photo by Star-Telegram

3. Plenty of talent: Some coaches walk into a program where there is a clear lack of talent. It usually takes at least two recruiting classes to get players in the program who can make a difference. The first couple years are spent identifying the strengths and weaknesses of each player, plus figuring out who is talented enough to play.

Well, the heavy lifting has already been done at Texas. Cumbie just needs to decorate.

He will walk into a program that returns running backs Chris Warren and D’Onta Foreman, two guys who could rush for over 1,000 yards each next season. Texas started two freshmen on the offensive line – Connor Williams and Patrick Vahe – and each player excelled this season. Receiver John Burt might be a stud if he has more plays called for him. There might be a few more hidden gems on this roster Cumbie might discover after installing his offense, too.

Obviously, Cumbie has to solve the quarterback dilemma. However, he reportedly sees similarities between Jerrod Heard and TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin. There is plenty of talent to work with in Austin, that is for sure.

4. Texas can springboard his career: Texas has shown signs of life at times on offense during the past two seasons, but mostly it has been a mess for the past two years. Joe Wickline received the offensive coordinator tag, but Shawn Watson called plays. Between the two of them, Texas was never able to perform consistently on offense. Tyrone Swoopes and Jerrod Heard have yet to excel under Watson’s mentorship. Watson was demoted after a week one loss against Notre Dame. Texas play-caller Jay Norvell took over after Watson’s demotion, and after a hot start against Cal, the Longhorns offense eventually cooled off.

Ironically, the offensive line may have been the team’s best unit this season.

If Cumbie can turn around this offense, he will be credited with rebuilding Texas. The narrative will focus on how Cumbie inherited one of the worst offenses in the country (ranked 94th in the nation) and made them successful. He will instantly be known as an offensive expert who is ready to take a head coaching job. If that occurs, Texas is likely competing for a Big 12 championship during the next two or three seasons, which does not sound like a bad thing for the program.

5. This is Texas: Yes, I know that sounds incredibly arrogant, but let's keep it real for a moment. There are more eyes on this program than any other in the state. Think about all the times Texas was discussed on SportsCenter, First Take and other national programs this season. Texas made more national headlines for a coach who never interviewed for the Miami job than most teams in this state made for winning games. The spotlight will always be bright at Texas, and this is the place for Cumbie to shine.

Cumbie has a good reputation now, but will be known nationally if he excels in Austin. If Texas’ losses are magnified more than most team’s wins, imagine the national name Cumbie could have if he succeeds with the Longhorns (just ask Will Muschamp). This is an opportunity Cumbie needs to seize if he wants to excel on a big stage.

Overall, this position makes sense for Cumbie.

The only question remaining is will he take the job if offered.

Funniest Thing You See This Week

I know this has been posted on OB several times, but DeShon Elliott’s response still makes me laugh:

Sports On A Dime

1. Baylor offensive coordinator Kendall Briles deserves a lot of credit for his halftime adjustments against Texas. Briles’ decision to run a hybrid Wildcat offense because he was out of quarterbacks nearly resulted in a win against Texas. By the way, every starter on Baylor’s huge offensive line looked like an NFL player.

2. Geoff Ketchum believed it was time to give Dylan Haines some respect last week, but how about some love for senior receiver Daje Johnson? He was never a “star” receiver at Texas, and it does not matter. Johnson is a young man who committed several mistakes, continued to fight through adversity, and made it to the finish line when many thought it could never happen.

3. My gut tells me Alabama will defeat Michigan State and Oklahoma will knock off Clemson in the college football playoffs, assuming that is the postseason bracket. My money is on Alabama to win it all.

4. Want to rush on the field to celebrate a Houston win? Might want to think again:

5. Just when you thought Big 12 officials were the worst, the ACC proves bad calls are made in every conference:

6. Does anybody remember when Green Bay running back Eddie Lacy was bright young star who ran hard in December and led the Packers’ ground game? A year later, Lacy reportedly missed curfew and barely played against Detroit on Thursday. He must have done a lot more behind the scenes to lose the faith of Green Bay's coaches.

7. By the way, Lions coach Jim Caldwell said he expected a lateral play, not a hail mary, which explains why Lions receiver Calvin Johnson was not standing in the end zone during Aaron Rodgers miraculous touchdown pass on Thursday. Because Rodgers is not known for his arm strength? Detroit’s new coach probably will not make the same mistake.

8. Former Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez really seems to be at home in jail. Hernandez was recently found with a shank, plus he has been involved in three fights since being locked up. The inmate uniform fits him better than that New England one he used to wear.

9. Blowout alert: Carolina at New Orleans and Philadelphia at New England. Maybe this will be the week I become a millionaire through DraftKings because I’m loading up on players from the Panthers and Patriots in my Sunday lineup.

10. I was not sure what to expect when I watched Peter Quillin and Daniel Jacobs on Saturday, but I definitelu did not see this coming:

Last edited by a moderator:

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.