Things that are better, things that are worse and things that are what we thought they’d be

LaUniversidad

Gold Member
Oct 5, 2015
Interested in folks’ perspective on different areas of the team based on where they are now vs your preseason expectations.

Better than what I thought:
  • The entire defense. Period. They’ve been elite across the board. Even in the loss last night, they played great. Had to defend a short field the entire first half. I think they gave up one long drive - the back breaker in the third quarter after we cut it one score. But they played more than well enough to win last night.
  • Offensive line: yes, they stunk last night. But overall, they’ve been very good. And play at certain positions (Cam, for example) has been above expectations.
  • Arch: phenomenal for this early in his career. In my option, he’s our best option at QB because of his legs, particularly since we don’t have a dominant rushing attack. But I don’t fault Sark for sticking with Quinn.
  • Gunner Helm: didn’t at all expect not to miss Sanders.
  • Wide receiver: they’ve been really good as a group. I’m not sure they’re as good as last year’s group, but I thought we’d see a more significant dropoff.
Worse than what I thought:
  • Running back: we haven’t had explosive plays from this group at all all year. It didn’t really matter previously, but last night, a lack of a consistent run game really caught up to us. Made us one dimensional and Georgia teed off on the pass rush. If this team had a Bijan or Brooks, it would make a world of difference. And if we don’t reach our ultimate goal of winning a natty, I’m guessing the biggest reason will be because of a lack dominant rushing attack.
  • Special teams: Auburn hasn’t had a ton of opportunities, but he’s been pretty inconsistent with his kicks. Punting is hurting us right on our backup punter. Was expecting more out of the return game with Bolden and haven’t really gotten it yet.
About what I thought:
  • Quinn: he’s looked elite at times and bad at times. I like Quinn a lot and this is kind of who he is and has always been and I’m not surprised by anything I’ve seen from him.

Last edited:

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.