ADVERTISEMENT

This sums it up.

MB-HORNS

Official OB earring & Gothic expert
Gold Member
Jan 1, 2009
Houston Texas
Thanks @cdunagan051 for providing the list. Years since last national championship.

1 Year - Ohio State
2 Years - Florida St
3 Years - Alabama

5 Years - Auburn

7 Years - Florida
8 Years - LSU

10 Years - Texas
11 Years - USC

14 Years - Miami
15 Years - Oklahoma

17 Years - Tennessee
18 Years - Michigan, Nebraska

25 Years - Colorado, Georgia Tech

27 Years - Notre Dame

29 Years - Penn St

31 Years - BYU

34 Years - Clemson
35 Years - Georgia

39 Years - Pitt

49 Years - Michigan State

51 Years - Arkansas

55 Years - Ole Miss
56 Years - Syracuse

61 Years - UCLA
62 Years - Maryland

69 Years - Army

74 Years - Minnesota

76 Years - Texas A&M

images

Thanks. Great read. But didn't jonny help m&a win the NC twice in one season?
Funny similarity to the aggys giving a kid the nickname "Johnny Football" and he never won a damn thing. Same thing Yankees fans did with Don "Donnie Baseball" Mattingly and he never appeared in a World Series in his career.

This may surprise you more,Army was three-time National Champs in 44,45 and 46 and doubt any team will match any time soon.They also had two Heisman winners in Doc Blanchard and Glenn Davis during that same time period.

I think Army claims the 1946 MNC, but they were only no. 1 in the polls in 1944 and 1945.

I'd almost always prefer to stand on the anti-ND side of the fence, but I'm also not a fan of counting national championships outside of the two traditional polls (pre-CFP, that is -- though the CFP champion will always be no. 1 in both polls), however flawed that system may have been. Once you go down that road, we wind up with four schools claiming national titles for any given season. In my mind, the tiebreaker for Army and ND in 1946 is the fact that ND tied Army in West Point.

You could flip a coin too, I guess.

But if you have to have a tiebreaker of some sort, penalizing the team that tied despite having home-field advantage makes the most sense.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/army-and-notre-dame-fight-to-a-draw

An interesting read...saying that WW2 gave Army an advantage (officers in school) & Notre Dame a disadvantage (their best players had been shipped off to war). Between 1944-45, "Notre Dame was fielding a team of military rejects." I find it interesting that the last A&M title in 1939 is from the same period & they were a military school (advantage).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT