ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (12-13)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Helen Keller

As kids, we were often (some of us more often than others) told to "play the quiet game." Long car trips seemed to be the best breeding ground for this game, but it could break out almost anywhere, anytime kids and adults were in the same place at the same time. Frequently it came after a truly intellectual comment such as "I wasn't touching HIM, I was touching the air."

We aren't kids now, but sometimes we make ourselves play the quiet game, for all the wrong reasons. We're hesitant to say what we think because we're afraid of what someone else will think. Or when we want to pretend that something does not bother us---but it really does. Or we want to act like we don't really care---but we do. We sacrifice long-term gain on the altar of our short-term fears.

When it comes to relationships that really matter, those with our dearest friends, or our spouses or partners, silence is not always golden. Intimacy can never take root in the thin soil of constant silence. If two (or more) people can create an environment where each has the freedom to tell the truth, that relationship will flourish and grow.

What opportunities have I missed because I was afraid to speak up? Or because I didn't encourage someone else to do so?

Blessings and encouragement to all of you,

NT
Acts 18:9

In loving memory of Allen Jones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News