ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (4-15)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.
~~~~~~~~~ Robert Brault

Many of us have a need to be right, or if not a need, at least an expectation. Sometimes we couple that with a fervent desire to prove it to someone else. Today is "Tax Day," which is a good day for our CPA to be right when it comes to the IRS Code, and to prove it to us if necessary. That's pretty black & white ( and uncharitably boring, in case you've never read the Code). Other examples are less clear. There seem always to be at least 50 shades of grey when it comes to matters of opinion.

We must maintain our integrity, of course, but if we find ourselves taking offense anytime someone disagrees with us, we may eventually find ourselves standing alone. Insisting that our opinions always be accepted, even when we're likely correct, can be perceived as hostile and self-centered. If we learn to make room for differences of opinion, and to disagree without being disagreeable, we'll also leave room for growth in our relationships. Rather than jumping immediately to "You're wrong," maybe we can try saying "You may be right; how did you reach that conclusion?" Give the other person a voice. Perhaps that's all they really wanted in the first place---to be heard.

Luke 14:11 tells us that "...those who exalt themselves will be humbled, but those who humble themselves will be exalted." We are to "clothe [o]urselves with...humility...and patience." Col 3:12.

This looks like a good day to get started on that.
Blessings my friends. Have a great week.
NT
Dedicated to Allen Jones, the Master of humility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News