ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (5-29)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
To render ourselves insensible to pain, we must forfeit also the possibilities of happiness.
~~~~~~~~~~~ Sir John Lubbock

Well, "everything runs through Lubbock," as the Tech football coach once famously said, though he probably wasn't referring to the above quote. But Sir John may be on to something here. As kids in school, we learned that caterpillars know instinctively that they must spin a cocoon in order to later become the butterfly that will break through and make its grand entrance into the world.

The part we weren't taught is that as people, we sometimes do much the same thing as that caterpillar. We withdraw into a cocoon of our own making, and for whatever reason we stop talking to others, we stop actively participating in life. Maybe it was some pain that prompted our retreat, but eventually we figure out that the pain of loneliness is even greater. That's when we learn to accept the fact that in life, we will experience both pain and happiness. That's when we find the courage to keep going, and in that moment become the butterfly we've always been. Way down deep.

Another old football coach told us that "You will know pain. It will be either the pain of preparation, or the pain of defeat. The choice is yours." Faith is an anchor during tough times, and it's good to be reminded that there is someone and something greater than ourselves who will soothe our pain and see us through. The Psalmist reminds us that "Nevertheless, I am continually with you; you hold My right hand." Psalm 73:23

Blessings my friends.
NT

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News