ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (6-12: the canine edition)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
Dogs do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have, and to obtain the objects they have not. There is nothing of value they have to bequeath except their love and their faith.
~~~~~~~~~~~ Eugene O'Neill

In the OB universe, we can argue about nearly anything, despite being supposedly united in our unflagging support for all things Longhorn. One thing that does unite us all, however, is our love for dogs. Every week or two, there's a thread about losing a dog. There was one yesterday that I found especially touching for some reason; it got me to thinking. There's the old quip about the dyslexic atheist who stayed up all night wondering if there really was a Dog. What can dogs teach us about faith?

They show us unconditional love in ways that few humans in our lives ever will. They forgive us with a richness that only God can exceed.

They yearn to please us and to show unbridled joy when they feel our love. Is that how God wants us to feel toward Him?

They often don't understand the words we say to them, but by God they listen and try! All that head-twisting and ear-twitching, those goofy facial expressions---all because they want so badly to understand us. We are their god. Do we listen that intently to our God?

No wonder we miss them when they "cross the rainbow bridge." As one gifted writer said so eloquently, "I loved you for your whole life, and I will miss you for the rest of mine."

Be at Peace,
NT
With a shout-out to @texas sun who lost his "goodest boy" a couple of days ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News