ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (Opening Day! 3-28)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
The batter swings, and the summer flies...
~~~~~~~~ Vladimir John Ondrasik III, aka Five for Fighting, from The Riddle

You only get so many summers...
~~~~~~~~ Brad Paisley

Let's play two.
~~~~~~~~ Ernie Banks

March 28, 2024. MLB Opening Day. Put me in, Coach. The start of baseball season brings a feeling that is hard to describe. Our buddy @Armadillo Slim reminded me a few days ago of a beautiful essay written by the late Bart Giamatti, who had the privilege of serving all too briefly as the Commissioner. In the essay, he speaks of having his heart broken by the game he loved. He explains that some people "grow out of sports," born with the wisdom to know that nothing lasts forever. Then he admits that he doesn't really want to be that grown up, that he needs to think that some things are forever, so it might as well be "the state of being that is a game...in a green field, in the sun."

Opening Day is God's reward for surviving winter. As the old joke goes, we know God's a baseball fan. Genesis, Ch 1 "In the Big Inning..."
So for today, my mind and body will be at work, but my heart will be in a green field, in the sun. Maybe we'll play two.

God's blessing to you all,
NT
Mark 6:31
In memory of Allen Jones, who in his younger days was an outstanding pitcher. I hope he's the starter today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News