ADVERTISEMENT

Todd Orlando says his cornerbacks expect Oklahoma State to attack

Anwar Richardson

Staff
Apr 24, 2014
Here are the highlights from Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando’s press conference after practice on Wednesday.

--- Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando said when Oklahoma State attempts a pass to receiver Tylan Wallace, it is not a 50-50 ball with him. More like 90-10. He called Wallace the most complete receiver in the country, and said he even likes to block. Orlando also praised running back Chuba Hubbard’s ability to make tacklers miss.

--- Orlando said Oklahoma State is always committed to the run, pointing out the Cowboys rushed 51 times against Texas in 2017 and 2018. He expects to see the same game plan on Saturday.

--- Orlando on his cornerbacks knowing Oklahoma State will likely attack the secondary again this year: “They know. In house, when [defensive backs coach] Jason [Washington] goes into his meeting room, he's explaining that to him. We try our best to try to separate last year. I think there is an awful taste in your mouth, but to go back and relive that stuff, we're a little bit different, and they're a little bit different. Sometimes a younger group might lose their focus on what's happening right now, but that's been explained. Those kids know. They watched that tape. We watched that tape a lot, and they know what happened out there. They'll understand what they have to do.”

--- Orlando said when defensive back Chris Brown improved his practice habits, he was the team’s best player in fall camp. He described Brown as a guy who plays with confidence and does not miss a step on the field.

--- Orlando on Ta’Quon Graham having an impact against Rice: “It’s like I've said in the past with him, talent and all that stuff is there. It's kind of like what I said with Chris [Brown], where it's just like, okay, I missed this, who cares? I’m going to the next one, and I'll figure it out next time. TQ can let some things linger on them where it's like, you know, he cares so much, that he's disappointed that maybe he let us down, or he’s upset at himself. I'm like forget about that, man. Use your talent, go in there, do the things that you're supposed to do, and let the plays comes to you. Don't be down on yourself if you do miss a play. Let's just continue to get better.”

--- Orlando said a lot of rushing yards by Oklahoma State quarterback Spencer Sanders is improvised. He said Oklahoma State does run veer-option plays at times, but said the Cowboys do a great job of mixing things up to get Sanders involved.

--- When asked about Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy’s ability to change game plans each week, Orlando said 85 percent of their opponent’s offense looks similar to the previous two years, except for a few new wrinkles. Orlando said, “To me, the biggest thing is making sure that the press box, and even if we can see it down on the field, that's it’s communicated as quick as possible because you don't want to come in on Sunday and find out they busted on a couple of things that we didn't adjust to.”

--- Orlando said D’Shawn Jamison is showing the coaches more in practice. Orlando said, “He is. I think all those guys are eager right now. I think there is an urgency of all four those guys to try to, hey, listen, let's get this right. I think they practice that way. There's competition. They understand that the best two guys will be the starters, and then the first guy in will be the first guy in. There is a lot more urgency in the last couple weeks.”

--- In addition, Orlando said the starting cornerback lineup is up for grabs, and they will make a final decision on Thursday.

--- Orlando said Kenyatta Watson II needs to improve his fundamentals to see playing time in the secondary. Orlando said, “If he gets in there, we would be very, very simple in terms of what we asked of him, but he's showing some signs the last couple weeks. Like I said, every person that's in that room is going to have an opportunity to do it. He’s one of the guys that will be in that mix.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News