Where do you get your news? And do you ever cross-over?

hbcold

Aug 14, 2011
Up front, I'm a Democrat (and a long time lurker). I've been an avid reader of the New York Times & Washington Post for many years. I listen to Dan Carlin's Common Sense (and Hardcore History), Left, Right & Center, and the New Yorker Political Podcasts among many others. I try to stay informed, but realized "informed" is not completely accurate if I'm only reading news and opinions from sources that share my point of view.

As this primary season has moved along, I've found myself compelled to begin reading the National Review and to watch Fox News (best moderators of the debates / town halls thus far) more and more regularly. I do this so that I am not inundated and insulated by my own opinions. Admittedly, I haven't found the stomach strength to listen to Hannity or Savage for more than 30 seconds without feeling the strong need to wash my hands, but they're not news men, they're spectacles.

I have found it utterly fascinating the differences in coverage and tone that the two sides put out for public consumption. I find it disheartening to read those same talking points spewed out in forums like this one. Disheartening because of what little actual discourse occurs, what little actual dialogue develops. Talking at someone else, is not the same as talking with them, and eventually leads to frustration and name calling.

Our sources of information have become sources of profit and therefore sensationalized in such a way as to cripple cooperation and civility. I know that emotions run high every four years and people who might otherwise share a beer at a tailgate in Austin would rather poison that same beer at the current moment.

My question is (long in the making) what news sources do you follow and would you ever, or do you ever listen, read, absorb news that comes from the other side? I do this so that when I am discussing today's news, or preferred candidates, I can at least understand where the other side is coming from. Even if I disagree, and I do.

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.